RetroArch Android releases (v1.0.0.2)

Great work!! Lots of improvements in this release :slight_smile: This app will make a lot of mobile gamers very happy!

I have noticed a few bugs though:

1. Joysticks not working in N64. I have a Nexus 5 with Android 4.4.2 and using a MOGA Hero Power controller in HID mode. The buttons work, but no response from joystick input. If I enable debug printing of the input, it looks like itā€™s getting full analog data. For example, pushing partly on the main (left-hand) joystick looks something like this: ā€œPad 0 : x 0.50, y -0.50, z 0.00, rz -0.00, src 16777232ā€. The secondary (right-handed) joystick adjusts the z values for left-right movement and the rz values for up-down movement.

2. Go into the menu (the non-touch one), go to ā€œSettingsā€, go to ā€œInput Optionsā€, go to ā€œDeviceā€, and start cycling through the devices. When you encounter one whose string is too long to fit, it will begin rapidly cycling through all of the devices. Speaking of the Device option, certain ones (such as the NVIDIA Shield) make the joystick work on my Moga, but then none of the other buttons work, so not a good work-around bug #1.

3. Emulator gets in a weird state if I go to home screen while itā€™s running, and then return to the emulator. Most of the buttons on the controller are no longer working, or those that do anything are mapped to the wrong button. Also when in this state I have to force close the emulator, because I have set the back button to ā€œGUI toggleā€, which doesnā€™t work with the touch screen , so I need controller input to exit. I would use ā€œMenu toggleā€ instead of ā€œGUI toggleā€ but it doesnā€™t have Load State/Save State options.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I didnā€™t see another appropriate thread to do so and I found another bug that I think is worth mentioning:

I press the ā€˜Bā€™ (right) button on my Moga controller from the menu in order to save or load a state. This should only do just that, but it also counts as input to the game itself. This isnā€™t so bad in save state, but can be troublesome in load state because the unwanted button press can lead to falling, dying, and sadness :frowning:

Make sure the unzipped rom names end with .z64 extension. Ie: Mario64.z64

A couple bugs I noticed with the Mupen64plus core. The Glide video plugin works, but it has see through shadow problems in Mario64(z-buffer?). Confirmed the issue only shows up in the Retroarch version and not Mupen64plus AE standalone. Also, when I try to change the core options to a different video plugin like ā€œriceā€, the emulator crashes when loading any rom. I then need to uninstall/reinstall Retroarch to have default back to glide since I canā€™t load anything in Mupen64plus core without it crashing before I can get to the core options to change it back.

For Rice you need to put RiceVideoLinux.ini inside your system directory or else it will continue to crash at startup. I havenā€™t managed to ā€˜bake inā€™ that INI file yet into Mupen64 libretro.

With regards to the ā€˜shadowsā€™ - this is called depth bias - and Mupen64 Plus AE does ugly GPU-specific hacks to fiddle around with the values fed to glPolygonOffset. I wanted to avoid having to do that but I guess Android GPUs are so shitty and bug-ridden that we might actually have to start doing that.

Uoohhhhh fantastic!!! marvelous!!! incredible!!!

Retroarch 1.0

Hi guys, I registered yesterday just to tell the retroarch team how much i appreciate their hardwork. This is an amazing emulator, one that doesnt rely on the gimmicky frameskip that others seem to rely on. I am really impressed and its a pleasure to use. There is no emulator on the market that actually calibrates to your refresh rate let alone even allows you to change refresh rate, so as a note 2 user (58hz) this is very appreciated.

But with the release of ver 1.0, there have been some bugs i thought it would be best to post it here for you guys to see. To let you know I am using a samsung gamepad for my emulation needs on my note 2. The biggest problem I have had in ver 1 was getting proper inputs to work with the emulator. At certain times even the virtual gamepad stopped working. I thought that perhaps the config file was causing this problem, so i attempted to switch the config file several times with previous versions even switching the configs of retro arch v1 with retroidnetplay, and when that didnt work, i edited some values, and yet it made no difference. In my attempt to try and figure out why inputs werenā€™t working, i went through many things. And at a certain point, i got it right, the inputs worked for a short period of time, accidentally.

When I was in game, I changed the gamepad setting from ā€œcustomā€ and moved it back and it became ā€œunknownā€, then I enabled automatic detect controller, and when I left the in game gui and resumed game, the controls were working. I was only able to do this a couple of times though, so i quit trying to figure out exactly what the problem is.

The second bug I ran into was to do with actually loading games. Whilst in one game, when I open up the menu, and try to load a different game, the emulator freezes. I am forced to cancel to homescreen, open up processes and kill retroarch. I am not exactly sure why this is happening.

So whilst I love this version, because it doesnā€™t work with my setup yet, ill continue using ver 0.9.9.6. as that version works without a hitch. I will be on the look out for the fixes for ver 1.0, as i can see a tremendous amount of effort has gone into this upgrade. Amazing addition of new cores, and an overall improved streamlines experience. I literally cannot wait till this versionā€™s bugs are fixed, this is already my favourite emulator. Looking forward to hearing more from you guys. Till then I am going to continue lurking.

Iā€™m using a Nexus 7 2012 with PS3 controller connected through an OTG cable and am having a similar problem to what others are reporting. When auto-detect is on it will recognise the controller just fine, but custom binds are not working during gameplay. Iā€™ve tried configuring through the RGUI, where the d-pad works to scroll up and down, but once I select ā€œconfigure allā€ no input is being recognised.

To clarify, when setting custom binds through the main retroarch menu, it will recognise and set a bind for each button. Just nothing works once you load a game and try to play. Quite strange!

completely unusable for me, virtual pad only works if I push a button and touch somewhere else on the screen simultaneously, if I press up, it just continues to scroll up for example, I have to touch elsewhere in the screen for it to stop

Hello,

I have tried the version 1.0.0 and on HTC ONE is much worse than version 0.9.9.6.

On the old version, with FBA and Snes9xNext (and others) the game was fine at start, but some seconds later the sound became choppy and the video refresh slow. I solved this by switching off the vsync, switching on the multicore gpu options and High latency audio. Well, in the new version 1.0.0 the behaviour is the same, the sound is choppy and the video refresh slow, but in this case there is no way to fix it by changing options, the emulators are not playable. I have tried to change all options without success.

Note: If you push slowmotion many times it seems to resync video and audio for 4 or 5 seconds, then start to fail again.

I have HTC One with the lastest official ROM with Android 4.3.

I can do some tests for you if you want.

Hi ! Good work on the latest release, i got this working on my Prestigio multipad 4 quantum. I had to disable Threaded Video driver or emulators just crash back to the menu.

I have one question though. The whole application and its data seems to be installing to the root partition using 185mb of a 1gb partition. Most of my apps allow me to ā€œmove to internal storage partitionā€ in the andriod settings, which is 5.5gb parition. I think this worked in 0.9.9.6 but hte option is greyed out in 1.0.

Have i done something wrong installing? If not,is there a way to enable this feature?

Thanks!

Previously we would honor the ā€˜feature low audio latencyā€™ option - now we assume that it just tells a bunch of BS and we just turn low latency audio on anyway. That might be the problem.

Looks like I will have to add an option/workaround for that as well. Looks like we canā€™t trust on certain devices that it tells the truth, and on other devices we have to honor it.

But no way in hell am I going to put ā€˜device-specificā€™ hardcoded hacks in there.

Two problems with galaxy S3 & wiimote:

1. Custom binding of keys is NOT working, only automatic detection works with the wiimote,
  2. When I am changing the the keys binding in mame directly it is not saving the the cfg file and next time all my changes are goneā€¦

Thanks,

Regit

Weā€™ll look into the custom binding issue. it seems to be a serious enough problem.

I you need help to test this problem please contact meā€¦

Thanks,

Regit

Previously we would honor the ā€˜feature low audio latencyā€™ option - now we assume that it just tells a bunch of BS and we just turn low latency audio on anyway. That might be the problem.

Looks like I will have to add an option/workaround for that as well. Looks like we canā€™t trust on certain devices that it tells the truth, and on other devices we have to honor it.

But no way in hell am I going to put ā€˜device-specificā€™ hardcoded hacks in there.[/quote]

Yes!! Please add the option.

I will try it as soon as you release it and I will tell you if it worked.

Thank you!!!

Also, pusher of squares, youā€™re doing delicious work mate. Keep fighting the good fight

In 9.9.6 the touch fast forward and slow mo would toggle these features no problem on any core on my device.

Now you must hold the button for slow mo (which obviously isnā€™t practical) and fast forward wonā€™t work at all.

Also, any possibility we can map these two features to a controller button?

Nice!!! Been drunk and playing GTA V since new year. Just noticed RetroArch is back on Play Store and updated. Great work guysā€¦ Awesome :slight_smile:

But no way in hell am I going to put ā€˜device-specificā€™ hardcoded hacks in there.[/quote]

I have performed more tests and I think there is a problem with the touchscreen overlay. When it is active, the sound is choppy and the image is slow, no matter if I am touching the screen or not. When it is disabled, the sound is good and the emulation is fast.