RetroArch Android releases (v1.0.0.2)

Guys thank you for the super fast update! This is amazing, this is truly the best emulator on android. Nothing can compare with Retroarch. Thank you for this release. Great Update.

Mupen64 crashing on loading a rom, same roms I’m using on win64 without that issue. I’m on Galaxy S III android 4.1.2 official, probably the Mali GPU driver?

I know Mupen is still young, just reporting.

Hello Please would you help me solve a problem. I have installed on my JXD S7800B the RetroArch Android 1.0.0.1. I’m playing Mortal Kombat 1,2,3 by MAME2003. But every time I play these roms is a message “CMOS INVALID - Restored Factory Settings / Errors Detected - Any Button To Continue.” I checked the set of roms and are in accordance with the standard version of MAME 2003. Researched a lot on the web to see if I could find some information, but the most I could find was something about NVRAM folder that is responsible for storing the configuration files of the MAME roms, but could not find this folder on my S7800B. Besides MAME, Final Burn is also not saving the game settings. Does anyone have any solution for this? Sorry for the confusing english, I’m from Brazil and I’m able to post this message through Google Translator.

The new version 1.0.0.1 still has bad performance with the screen layout enabled :frowning: it’s the last thing to be perfect for me.

Thank you!!

Hello

I just wanted to confirm what javixxx said. Disabling/enabling the input overlay appears to make an insane amount of difference in terms of performance. I ran something on the snes9x next core which was smooth and perfect with the touchscreen overlay disabled and slow and stuttery with the overlay enabled. The hardware in question is a tablet with a Cortex-A8 1 GHz processor and 512 megabytes of RAM.

Naively i would assume that the overlay shouldn’t take up that much processing power and that there is some kind of issue with it but i might be wrong.

Perhaps animated overlays are too heavy on resources. I know other emulators for android usually put an option to disable animation.

If the new overlays are causing performance problems, you can use any of the monolithic, single-image ones from the ‘old’ directory. They aren’t as fancy but they never seemed to cause any performance issues for people.

I did try that (the old overlays) and they definitely cause performance issues for me. Not noticably better than the new ones actually. Maybe there’s something slow about checking the touchscreen input as opposed to rendering the overlay? Just a wild guess…

I did try that (the old overlays) and they definitely cause performance issues for me. Not noticably better than the new ones actually. Maybe there’s something slow about checking the touchscreen input as opposed to rendering the overlay? Just a wild guess…[/quote]

Same here, the performance with the old ones is the same as with the new ones, bad.

The performance with the old ones and 0.9.9.6 is good, so there is something on the code of v1.0 that is not right.

Hm, still having custom input issues with an otg-connected ps3 controller. Tested the new version with Sonic 1 using genesis plus and found that the directional buttons are only sporadically responding. Going left works consistently, but moving to the right only works after holding the button down for a while and even then, sonic stutters and stops rapidly as if the button signal is dropping out several times in quick succession. Eventually he starts running to the right, but after jumping you’ll come to a stop again and have to re-press to move to the right. Up and down buttons have the same issue. The face buttons (a, b and c are mapped to square, cross and circle) seemed to respond most times when pressed.

I thought it was a pressure sensitivity problem at first but the issue is the same regardless of how hard you press. Same issues in RGUI.

Update: Just tried with one of those knock-off Sega Saturn USB pads (gets recognised as a cypress USB with auto detect) and custom binds responded fine. Seems to be an issue with ps3 pads specifically. Will try my other ps3 pad later.

As for the analog sticks not working in N64, a change I made recently (https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/c … a411c9e41b) should fix this. Many gamepads (including the PS3) were not marked dual analog as they should have been. I don’t have a PS3 controller to test though, so feel free to build from source and post if it works :slight_smile: or just wait until the next release and see how it goes.

That’s quite old hardware though (the Cortex A8 CPU).

Anyway, I’ll mention the performance issues with normalized overlays to maister. It is a bit disappointing since we thought this would actually improve performance.

Game Gear games aren’t playable on 1.0.0.1 on Galaxy S III android 4.1.2:

-Genesis plus GX crashes after 15s -Picodrive doesn’t open zip files / unzipped gg files are loading but exhibit video issues and crash

Tried mainly with GG Shinobi, other games confirmed it too. (checked with good tools)

That’s quite old hardware though (the Cortex A8 CPU).

Anyway, I’ll mention the performance issues with normalized overlays to maister. It is a bit disappointing since we thought this would actually improve performance.[/quote]

The issue also happens with a single image layout (old layouts). So there is something wrong, no matter if the layout is splitted in one or more images.

When trying to play Mastersystem Games with the latest OUYA version, it crashes for random games (example: Wonderboy or Aladdin). Happens with both cores, Genesis Plus GX and Picodrive.

In latest version (1.0.0.1) Mupen64 core kicks back to selection menu after loading a rom on both my JXD S5110b and S7300. Its working fine on my OUYA however. I think it has to do with which graphical plugin is loaded on start. Is it possible to change plugins without actually having a rom loaded? Or in future updates make this selectable before loading a rom?

Thanks for all your hard work to all of those involved!

Try turning off Vsync

didn’t help. it’s easy to reproduce. just start wonderboy and run. it’ll crash right at the beginning.

I’m getting these crashes too with both master system cores,

Wonder Boy 3 - Usually first sword strike, Golvellius - Just after enter first cave Alex Kidd Miracle World - Quite often can make it through 1st level (a bit random) These are the only games I have for sms,

• Desire 300 (snapdragon s4 - cortex a5) - All other cores I’ve tried seem flawless (SNES-next, PCE, Gambette)

Has anyone else has issues with save files and/or devices/versions?

I recently (less than a week ago) was playing Mario’s Picross 2 using the GB emulator, and it had a .sav which worked normally on an older android phone, 2.3.7, but on my JXD-s7300b with Android 4.1.1 it wasn’t working, which I’m pretty sure it was before. If I renamed it to .srm it shit the bed, on both devices. Now it seems it works fine on both devices, but I one file which was an old back-up .sav works well, while the newer one (I’m pretty sure it didn’t get deleted when I was moving saves around) still doesn’t work. The newer one could’ve been overwritten when it failed to load the renamed .sav, but the emulator autoloaded a save state, as the save-state had a not working/nonexistent save at the time, and then re-wrote it.

Both emulators are currently 0.9.9.6, which when I tried to see if/when it updated, I found it didn’t exist in the store, and on my tablet it says Aug 22, 2013, when I could’ve sworn it updated less than two weeks ago, as even the interface changed not too long ago (mine didn’t used to have tv mode as an option).