RetroArch Android releases (v1.0.0.2)

@squarepusher

Who’s arguing dude? Im merely informing that the roms work fine in 3-4 different emulators including full burn alpha 1.6 but they do not work on full burn alpha on retroarch…?

Does that sound like arguing or just someone giving feedback so the devs can sort out the problem??

In future, if you’e got nothing worthwhile to say, then I suggest you keep quiet.

Squarepusher is one of the devs, so anything he has to say regarding this is worthwhile, even if what he says is “no.”

Im gonna test today again this mother of all emulation applications, trying to get working my arcade stick on a hdmi connected tablet. Retro console everywhere ftw!!

Just a few questions for being curious:

-Is there any plan on adding any more cores to the Android port?

-Any more customization options general/per core in the future?

-How many people is involved in this project?

Again, thanks for your hard work, few years ago this was unbelievable, having all this emus on a handled device.

Cheers!!

Squarepusher, I’m really sorry to hear about all the idiots and I hope you don’t think I’m one of them. I just really like this project, I want it to be even better, and I try to contribute the only way I can by reporting bugs/issues and suggesting improvements.

I think having some way of verifying an image could be a good idea, but personally it’s mainly so that I can avoid giving false bug reports, and I fully understand if you don’t want to bother with it.

Can you post a link to a site for roms which work on retroarch??

No. You have enough information in this thread and in the FAQ to get started. Show me you are willing to do a bit of work by yourself and maybe I’ll help. And lose the attitude. Seriously.

could you please release a .DAT file that has the XML data for the correct ROMs / CRCs etc. using a tool like CLRMAME, Romulus, DatUtil, RomVault etc.?

There is no need to release anything. The DATs in question are already out there. The FBA Core in RetroArch is Final Burn Alpha (made into a library that is “talked to” by RetroArch). As we speak, the FBA Core is Final Burn Alpha 0.2.97.28. Thus, all you need to do is generate the Arcade DAT from the “real” Final Burn Alpha (from the Misc Menu IIRC) and import it in ClrMAME.

For cartridge based console, no-intro is usually better and for CD-based systems images from the Redump project are almost guaranteed to work. EDIT: There are DATs for that too =)

I would volunteer to write a quick tutorial about sane ROM management when the wiki is up but then again, Squarepusher pretty much underlined where the problem lies… I guess that was to be expected going into Android and its wide-reaching user base.

Thanks for this port.

One thing I noticed on my Nexus 7 is that the joystick on my MOGA controller does not work in analog mode. The manual says to make sure ’Enable left analog input’ is checked, but I found that it only works when this option is unchecked.

It’s not really a big deal to me, just thought I’d report it.

edit: I checked and there are no keycodes reported from the sticks in analog mode, not sure if that’s normal or not.

Haven’t gotten around to that yet.

Proper ‘joystick support’ is another of these borked ‘halfway there’ things of the NDK - AFAIK you have to do dlopen hacks to ‘check’ if joystick support is there on your OS and then ‘grab’ function pointers to it.

We’ll have to try to sort out that stuff. Suffice it to say it isn’t exactly fun.

Ah, ok.

We really screwed up with the Wonderswan core (or rather, me) - the same problems happen on Wii too.

Let me get that fixed up pronto.[/quote]

Wonderswan runs fine now.

Thank you.

Yeah, I also tested it on the Wii port and it looks fine, except for the tearing.

One thing i miss here is a direct mame4droid core, because of the games not supported by the fba core (years ago fba was just about cps1-2 and neogeo, got surprised when i saw they increased the compatibility with more arcade games)

Anyway everything perfect right now since i updated my device to android 4.1.1 (hdmi slowdowns and stuff), now im gonna test 2 controllers and hdmi…

Would be nice if people with arcade sticks would help with the auto-detection inputs, its amazing just plug-in and play, no mapping every time you load up a game :smiley:

Waiting for that new version coming to test!

Cheers!!

Tearing or jerkiness is unavoidable. Wonderswan runs at a strange 75 fps.

It seems that ‘quick menu’ is only available through onscreen controls and can’t be mapped to any hardware button, so it’s impossible to quick save/load without touch :frowning: Can you fix that please? Make it so pressing ‘menu’ button during gameplay would show up quick menu. Thanks!

The problem is that ‘overlays’ slow down emulation speed so it’s beneficial to disable them if you don’t need them (which is the case if you’re using a gamepad - the preferred method to play these games in the first place) - so I’m unsure if it would be a wise idea to let you toggle them from a gamepad like that. Still, we need to come up with something I guess - so something like that would perhaps have to be implemented.

Squarepusher are you guys gonna update today? Will test if you add the arcade stick i put o the other thread, because today i´ve been trying to play with 2 joysticks on a tablet binding manually the inputs but 30 seconds or so after i load the game the app does not respond (not even any of both pads)

Im gonna look again this with other usb hub and joysticks, not sure what happened today, maybe with 2 usb pads automatically configured this would not happen.

I dont get tired of saying thank you to all of you making this possible, keep the hard work :slight_smile:

Cheers!!

I’m busy right now trying to debug with a guy with an Xperia Play and trying to get the gamepad to work there. It’s a lot of work.

Not sure if we can make it today - if not today, then tomorrow.

EDIT: OK, added the Madcatz fighting stick. Should be in the next release.

Ok, I just thought we can use hardware “Menu” button for showing quick menu as it’s unused by RetroArch while core’s running…

Yes, it has a bug with XP gamepad. When RetroArch loads games, it assign the input devices order by which keys pressed first. It takes first pressed key’s gamepad as 1P gamepad. This makes XP’s game pad not working properly. For XP, direction keys, X, triangle, square, menu and serach key are of same device code:HID 163310: keypad-zeus Start, Select and Volume keys are of another same device code: HID 0: Keypad-game-zeus Touch screen is HID 65541: cy8ctma300_touch Touch pad is HID 65539: synaptics_touchp

So if we want it to work, We have to follow following steps. 1.RetroArch Settings—>Input Settings–>Configuration Autodetect ,disable 2.RetroArch Settings—>Input Settings–>Player 1 Custom Binds Direction keys and ABXY,L1,R1 are mapped here. Start is mapped to Menu, while Select mapped to Search. 3.Touchscreen Overlay Enable

When game is loaded, NEVER press Start or Select and NEVER use touch pad or touch screen. Make sure that any button among Direction keys and ABXY,L1,R1 is firstly pressed.

If you do above steps, you can use XP game pad properly. But, you can not quit game with Return. To quit game, press Home to back to desktop, launch RetroArch, and press press Start or Select ,or use touch pad or touch screen. This makes direction keys disabled, and you can quit game now.

Yes, it has a bug with XP gamepad. When RetroArch loads games, it assign the input devices order by which keys pressed first. It takes first pressed key’s gamepad as 1P gamepad. This makes XP’s game pad not working properly. For XP, direction keys, X, triangle, square, menu and serach key are of same device code:HID 163310: keypad-zeus Start, Select and Volume keys are of another same device code: HID 0: Keypad-game-zeus Touch screen is HID 65541: cy8ctma300_touch Touch pad is HID 65539: synaptics_touchp

So if we want it to work, We have to follow following steps. 1.RetroArch Settings—>Input Settings–>Configuration Autodetect ,disable 2.RetroArch Settings—>Input Settings–>Player 1 Custom Binds Direction keys and ABXY,L1,R1 are mapped here. Start is mapped to Menu, while Select mapped to Search. 3.Touchscreen Overlay Enable

When game is loaded, NEVER press Start or Select and NEVER use touch pad or touch screen. Make sure that any button among Direction keys and ABXY,L1,R1 is firstly pressed.

If you do below steps, you can sue XP game pad properly. But, you can not quit game with Return. To quit game, press Home to back to desktop, launch RetroArch, and press press Start or Select ,or use touch pad or touch screen. This makes direction keys disabled, and you can quit game now.[/quote]

Thanks to a user called kiri87, we managed to fix this today.

So the next update (r9) will have fully working Xperia Play controls (except for the Synaptics touchpad ‘touch analog’ thingies - but there is no real analog stick support in RetroArch Android anyway so we’ll return to that later).

OP updated - r9 now available. Big changelog -

r9 (Feb 4, 2013)

• Better multi-touch controls.
  • Ability to set opacity of overlays
  • Shaders bundled (NOTE: need Tegra 4/Exynos5-class GPU for good results)
  • Input autodetection expanded -
    • Xperia Play (now properly tested on an r800i)
  • Madcatz PS3 fighting stick
  • Moga IME app (previously would work only on rooted devices with gamepad mode)
  • Doesn’t extract the assets everytime you go to the menu but only when you first install the new APK - was causing lots of garbage collector overhead.
  • FBA core - fixed a serious bug causing graphic glitches.
  • Nestopia core - use mono sound like the real NES.
  • Genesis Plus GX - Lunar Eternal Blue (JP) works again.

APK (r9) - https://anonfiles.com/file/e653d5adfe8ce3927d883a82becda4e0`