RetroArch Android releases (v1.0.0.2)

It’s either your image or you should use the real BIOS files.

But that game definitely works.

Currently fails to run ANY metal slug game. Also Garou, Sengoku, Fatal Fury…Actually it fails to run ANY NEO GEO GAME inc ALL the KOFs…

All those games should work fine.

There is nothing wrong with my roms…They are running perfectly Mame4Droid and on aFBA 1.6(Full burn alpha)

This is very confusing!!!

You’re probably missing neogeo.zip. Either that, or you have outdated FBA ROMsets.

It CAN be your ROMs, because FBA syncs with the very latest MAME romsets - and MAME4Droid can’t possibly be based on the very latest MAME version unless you want it to be a total slideshow on Android.

As I’ve already said my roms work fine with mame4droid and aFBA… That’s Full Burn Alpha 1.6…The standalone app and not the one in retroarch. I would love to know why that is… Also, the neogeo roms ran perfectly on neo.emu too. Mgs definitely works on epsxe. I had an older version of fpse a few months ago and it worked on that too.

Just to reiterate…My roms are as perfect as you’re gonna get…Ive tried every version of every rom that I’ve mentioned and spent countless hours downloading and testing so I know what I’m talking about. Thanks

@musanator, for Metal Gear Solid to work just put scph1001.bin in the same folder as the image

My roms are as perfect as you’re gonna get…Ive tried every version of every rom that I’ve mentioned and spent countless hours downloading and testing so I know what I’m talking about.

I’m sorry I’m not usually so blunt but clearly, you really don’t know what you are talking about.

MAME4Droid, assuming you are using the most widely used version, is a port of MAME 0.37b5 which dates back to … July, 28th 2000. Might as well say close to prehistoric times as far as emulation goes. The most recent version as we speak is MAME 0.148 released on January 11th of this year. And even if you are on MAME4Droid Reloaded, it is a port of MAME 0.139 released on July 30th 2009. 4 year and a half ago!

See, the world of emulation is constantly evolving. Emulator programmers and ROM dumpers keep discovering new information about the workings of the machines they seek to emulate and about the chips they dump. The goal, technical knowledge and processing power emulation authors and dumpers have at hand now are very different from what they used to be. The NeoGeo and CPS sets in particular underwent several redumps along the years to get rid of bad dumps (errors). Same thing with Playstation and countless other platforms.

Now you will understand why the 13 year old arcade dumps of MAME4Droid are not supported by RetroArch FBA Core which is based on MAME 0.147u4 (December 17th of this year). While MAME4Droid certainly served its purpose of running a few arcade games on older smartphones, it is also a huge disservice to emulation in general because it contributes to the anachronistic survival of entire rom sets full of rubbish.

Simply put: your roms and cd images are outdated. update them. educate yourself about emulation. The people behind RetroArch are amongst the most dedicated and gifted you will ever find when it comes to emulation. They are always ready to help and listen to feedback but if I were you I would avoid the “as I already said” and the “I know what I’m talking about” around here.

HI, i’m new here. i would like to say how awesome this emulator is. i have been playing Retroarch on my 360 rgl and it really works great. i just have one question. it will be possible to see in next versions of retroarch the pscx reamed core ported to the xbox and ps3 version or maybe on wii and xbox 1 as well ?? sorry my english :frowning: and thanks to developers

I have a question. Would it ever be possible to add a libretro core for 3DO? That system has some decent games on it.

http://code.google.com/p/freedo/ . Here is an emulator for the 3DO. I’m not tech-savvy enough to know how difficult it would be to implement one day but it is just a suggestion.

PCSX reARMed is an ARM-only emulator, so it won’t be appearing on Xbox 360 or PS3.

Hi, Thank you for support Android 2.3. Many PSX games from my collection run awesome on my JXD-S601 with android 2.3.6

Please add map Android menu button, for call Quick menu with DPAD navigate support, without overlay mode. If possible also add manual frameskipping mode (FS=1). This need for play via composite NTSC TV-OUT with minimal “lags” on CRT.

Thank you very much. :slight_smile:

This is an incredible emulator!

i’m just having some issues with Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4.1.1:

There’s a random lag (not only sound) on all consoles. I’m playing and no more than 10 seconds the game slow down for 1 or 2 seconds. Something like bullet time. This issue occured at RetroARch first version, but was solved until R6 version. Now, R8 it come back again.

I think RetroArch needs an option “Force High Priority” or something. Maybe other apps (multitasking) are doing this issue. :-/

BTW, Thanks developers for such a great app!

A user reported that you will have no lag at all if you use Android 4.1 with TV-out as opposed to earlier versions.

Frameskip is not really a solution for attaining ‘smooth gameplay’ on TV-Out IMHO.

Maybe HDMI-OUT work with “no lag”, but i dont have it. I have only composite 3,5 mm jack out on board with PAL/NTSC support via special apk tool.
To my regret ICS Firmware for JXD-S601 is not provided by the manufacturer. Only custom firmware with lots of bugs and without TV-OUT, and the kernel is lock at 600 MHz only vs. Gigerbread 800-1000 MHz firmware kernel.

On the device all emu works fine, but when I connect him to tv = “bullet time” effect in the any 2D emulators and RetroArch PSX too. Helps only manual frameskip = 1 in NTSC mode.

Thanks bl@ck_m@ge…

Ill give that a go… Ive got loads of bios for the ps1 so ill try scph 101, which I used to use on epsxe.

AWSOME EMULATOR THOUGH!!

@Tanuki

Thanks for that… I also mentioned that I used NEO.EMU, now I dont know what the developer is using there but its a fairly new app so… I dunno.

Can you post a link to a site for roms which work on retroarch??

Thanks dude.

[quote=“Michigunskiy”]

Maybe HDMI-OUT work with “no lag”, but i dont have it. I have only composite 3,5 mm jack out on board with PAL/NTSC support via special apk tool.
To my regret ICS Firmware for JXD-S601 is not provided by the manufacturer. Only custom firmware with lots of bugs and without TV-OUT, and the kernel is lock at 600 MHz only vs. Gigerbread 800-1000 MHz firmware kernel.

On the device all emu works fine, but when I connect him to tv = “bullet time” effect in the any 2D emulators and RetroArch PSX too. Helps only manual frameskip = 1 in NTSC mode.[/quote]

Yes, I get the same lag as well with Android 4.0.4 (CM9) on an underpowered Cortex A8 tablet when I hook up with HDMI TV-Out. Still, I really don’t like the idea of adding a frameskip option just because TV-Out used to really suck before Android 4.1 came along. It just feels like a bad workaround overall and really - it’s not even a real ‘solution’ - it’s just an optical illusion trick to make the lag seem ‘less worse’ even though it is still all there - just skipping a few frames and therefore making the jerky motion seem more natural.

Anyway, I’ll talk it over with the other devs - dunno if we should succumb to end-user pressure on this front. Either something is running at fullspeed or it’s not - there can be no 'inbetween 'here - it either runs good and is playable or it doesn’t run fullspeed and therefore it’s useless and not worth playing. And playing TV OUT games with frameskip 1 to me definitely belongs in that latter category there.

@Tanuki

I forgot to metion aFBA 1.6…

The neo geo roms work on this but not full burn alpha(arcade) on retroarch…?

Can you please tell me why that is??

Last time he worked on that thing was 3 months ago - a lot happens within the space of 3 months in FBA land - for the exact same reason - they sync with the MAME romset.

Really man - these games run just fine on my end - it’s a problem on your end - period. Find the right ROMs already instead of arguing with people who know as an absolute fact it runs Neogeo games just fine right now.

On the device all emu works fine, but when I connect him to tv = “bullet time” effect in the any 2D emulators and RetroArch PSX too. Helps only manual frameskip = 1 in NTSC mode.[/quote]

Yes, I get the same lag as well with Android 4.0.4 (CM9) on an underpowered Cortex A8 tablet when I hook up with HDMI TV-Out. Still, I really don’t like the idea of adding a frameskip option just because TV-Out used to really suck before Android 4.1 came along. It just feels like a bad workaround overall and really - it’s not even a real ‘solution’ - it’s just an optical illusion trick to make the lag seem ‘less worse’ even though it is still all there - just skipping a few frames and therefore making the jerky motion seem more natural.

Anyway, I’ll talk it over with the other devs - dunno if we should succumb to end-user pressure on this front. Either something is running at fullspeed or it’s not - there can be no 'inbetween 'here - it either runs good and is playable or it doesn’t run fullspeed and therefore it’s useless and not worth playing. And playing TV OUT games with frameskip 1 to me definitely belongs in that latter category there.[/quote]

Many thanks for the explanation of this problem. I agree with you about this issue. Better to play well without “lags” on the device screen, than “jerky” playing on old CRT-TV.

Quick menu without use my resistive tochscreen is more need for me than TV-Out fix.

This is not the pressure from my side. I just asked a question for add this if possible… Anyway RetroArch Playstation 1 emu core is great. And for me it work definitely smooth,fast and compatible than FPse and ePSXe, even if they do not slow down with TV-Out on my device without FS, but slow down at many PSX games.

Thanks again for porting RetroArch on Android 2.3

Do you plan to add support for Android 2.2? It would be great to run RetroArch on the Android STB (ARM V7) 1-GHz device like A.C.Ryan VEOLO or Pearl Meteorit MMB-422! I think there should be any lags on TV play. I test FPse and ePSXe it work well and smooth on my MMB-422 , but slow 25-40 fps. Like as on JXD-601 with 1Ghz core. 2D Emulators like Nesoid,Gensoid,Snesoid,Tiger arcade run great on both device without any frameskip.

scph101 and scph7502 won’t work (at least for me). For MGS you need exactly scph1001.bin in the same folder.

@Squarepusher, thank you so much for adding Android 2.3 support! I have some minor requests if you don’t mind of course, it shouldn’t be so hard to implement:

• can you please add such handy feature as ‘recently played games’ list of 5-7 titles?
  • in the “Path Settings” 't would be nice if you add option for custom shaders folder too.
  • what if pressing “back” button may show up ‘yes/no’ confirmation box first instead of stoping emulation at once? This would prevent accidental closings on some devices

hi guys, a suggestion regarding ROMs if I may - the most common complaints are from people trying to source the correct ROMs - could you please release a .DAT file that has the XML data for the correct ROMs / CRCs etc. using a tool like CLRMAME, Romulus, DatUtil, RomVault etc.?

Then if users download the .DAT file on their desktop / laptop they can then ‘build’ a correct 100% ROM list for use on their mobile / tablet / console.

This would then hopefully reduce the number of complaints about retroarch not working etc.etc.

I’ve been getting e-mails like this -

How do us noobs use this? There isnt any description on how to use this. youtube videos suck just as bad when it come to a simple explanation on how to play games with this. How do you expect noobs to utilize this application!!!

And honestly, the more responses I get like this (and 1 stars like this), the more I feel tempted NOT to do ANYTHING as far as making it ‘more noob-friendly’. I know that it being free makes them feel entitled to this or that but really - PC and console emulators have ALWAYS expected of the user that users have a basic frame of reference as to what they need to do with this thing - it isn’t hard - I know that we’re dealing with Generation Idiocracy these days but honestly - if you can’t figure out the procedure of how to play a game with these cores, then said person is not exactly the sharpest nail in the box.

They don’t want to read a PDF? Then that confirms what I’ve said before. I didn’t even have to go to the length of providing a link to a PDF with most of the information they would need - it was a lot of work writing all that and most other people wouldn’t have even felt like doing that all for free in the first place. I don’t see Broglia doing this - I don’t see any of the guys doing this - yet because I’m free and they’re not, I apparently have to spoonfeed these people.

I don’t feel like spoonfeeding them just because these users think they can somehow ‘persuade’ the author/developer to do certain things because they think this irrelevant ‘stars rating system’ on a Play Store gives them bargaining power.

I also got requests to build in a ‘ROM search utility’ with the caveat ‘It may be a little illegal’ - seriously, the moment you start appealing to this kind of stupid stuff, it will never end and it will just get more and more ridiculous. Best not to go there entirely.