RetroArch Android releases (v1.0.0.2)

Honestly - you know what this means right? This means that HDMI-out on Android devices is laggy as hell to begin with - if it has ‘lag’ with frameskip 0 and it doesn’t when frameskip is on, then that leads to its own obvious conclusion. The fact that commercial games like Sonic CD run similarly laggy and bad only confirms this even more. Once again, Google is doing a pisspoor job here - just like they’re doing a pisspoor job with audio - it’s amazing howmuch they’re messing up with Android for such a big Fortune 500 company.

Anyway - I’m not sure whether we should impose this ban on frameskip or whether we should offer it. All I know is that I don’t want any timer code being run for every frame when I am not interested in any frameskip code - it should be completely - and I mean completely - optional so that it doesn’t mess up the static syncing.

Ok, i see its not easy to do, sorry for being too persistent about this. The idea of having a device that you can carry everywhere having all your emulators is very nice.

Anyways thanks for the quick responses, i´ll continue watching how the project evolves. Really, thanks for keeping the emulation scene alive!!

Cheers!!

EDIT: Sorry for posting this much and all this edits! My tablet got updated to Android 4.1.1 and when connecting hdmi every emulator works PERFECT!!!I´m going to be testing a lot more but maybe google really made something with the hdmi output in this version of its system. Hope it helps if someone finds any lag.

With this solved, this emulator is THE EMULATOR :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok, i see its not easy to do, sorry for being too persistent about this. The idea of having a device that you can carry everywhere having all your emulators is very nice.

Anyways thanks for the quick responses, i´ll continue watching how the project evolves. Really, thanks for keeping the emulation scene alive!!

Cheers!!

EDIT: Sorry for posting this much and all this edits! My tablet got updated to Android 4.1.1 and when connecting hdmi every emulator works PERFECT!!!I´m going to be testing a lot more but maybe google really made something with the hdmi output in this version of its system. Hope it helps if someone finds any lag.

With this solved, this emulator is THE EMULATOR :P[/quote]

That’s cool to hear - would be good to see it confirmed by more people that Android 4.1 fixes it.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m continuing to work on them, they still need quite a bit of tweaking.

Anybody on Android 2.3 right now -

please test this out for me - it’s the newest version of RetroArch that should be Android 2.3 compatible. Has been tested on an HTC HD2 but I want to make sure it works with a more mainstream device first (rather than something that was originally a Windows Mobile device) before I push it out.

https://anonfiles.com/file/478271612...639fcf9bb77597

If it works for you, then I’m pushing this out to Google Play tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

File does not exist.

File does not exist.[/quote]

https://anonfiles.com/file/478271612a775800b3639fcf9bb77597

Squarepusher failed to copy-paste the link properly - here’s the fixed link

Source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=37368489

Oh and by the way, I got my damage-repaired HTC Desire Z on Gingerbread now so I will report back once I’ve tested it out. :slight_smile:

I test it on my Android TV box(1GHz A8 single core CPU,mali400 GPU), and I found that when I disabled touchscreen overlay, Resident Evil 3 ran at full speed. Quite amazing! But when I enabled touchscreen overlay, the game ran at a very poor speed, just like a crap.

And here is an input bug for Android TV box users: when I try to map USB joypad keys, everytime when I select a button to map, the soft keyboard jumps out and I can not input the joypad keys because I need to exit the soft keyboard with right click, which causes the value of right click become the button I need to input. If I press the button on the joypad, the soft keyboard jumps out again. This keep me from mapping any keys except direction keys. So, can you code other mapping method, something like NEO.emu ?

Well I warned people that the ‘fancier’ overlays were going to come at a cost - really, performance considerations is why the overlays were previously 256x256 - but then people were outraged because the overlays didn’t look fancy enough, so now that we use 800x ones we get complaints that they are too slow again on weak CPUs (like Cortex A8s). Really, there is no pleasing people here and I wish kamui had that overlay maker ready so that we can silence all this bitching and get on with focusing on other stuff already because it’s seriously starting to piss me off - we have a far more flexible overlay system out there already than anybody else and it’s totally customizable. Why more people aren’t cranking out their own customized ones already is beyond me - it really isn’t all that hard - just whip out a text editor, an image editor and customize the files to suit your needs - you can even customize the hitboxes totally to your own liking.

Anyway - we could just drop in the old ‘bad’ 256x256 overlays again and just drop them into a folder like ‘Low-res’ or something. You are either going to have to put up with overlays that look less fancy but are much faster and fullspeed on Cortex A8s (like 256x ones) or fancy-looking ones that will have higher system requirements.

This is a known problem and will be rectified as soon as we figure out how to do it.

Can you try disabling soft keyboard and see how that works - just as a test?

For now you can just scroll down the list and manually assign them to keycodes that way.

RetroArch Android has really beaten all of my expectations, Thanks again Square and the rest of the team :slight_smile:

All of the cores except for VBA seem to run full speed on my UG802 :cool:

The only issue I have found is that I cannot seem to be able to get the analogue sticks on a DualShock 3, connected by USB, to function within the emulation. The left stick does work fine in the menu and rom browser though.

Yeah, VBA Next as you well know comes from the PS3/360 era so we already knew for certain it would only run fullspeed on high-end Android devices.

Anyway, gpSP should have drastically lower system requirements - I might look at porting notaz’ version of it to libretro if he doesn’t beat me to it himself.

I know about this - I think we might have to start supporting ‘joysticks’ directly - unfortunately that will involve a lot of dlopen hacks and might be incompatible on certain older Android versions. Not sure yet.

Hi, Thanks and cheers to all people that made this awesome emulator for Android.

I really love the idea but I gotta admit that I could need some help. Just tell me if I am wrong here to ask this questions! I searched for a wiki but I couldnt find one which helped me in my questions.

I read in the Guide that the Galaxy S3 seems to show a wrong framerate to the emulator and that makes the sound all stuttering on my device. So i unchecked “Sync Refreshrate to screen” and tried a forced refreshrate from 60 to 40. But the sound keeps stuttering.

Another question would be: What I would need for playing Doom-games. I have wad files for Doom1 and 2 but if I try to load them the emulator just exits.

I tried any version of RetroArch I could find (~4). And I am running 4.1.2 Any help is appreciated.

thanks again for the hard work!

Bumped to version 0.9.8.1 now. Check the OP. Will take a little while until it’s available on Google Play - you can get it early here until then.

There’s a guy who has been doing most of the tests so far (B6S) on devices and he said he will be playing with this phone over the weekend and finding out the ideal refresh rate/setting for it. Once we find a value that ‘just works’, we will push some device-specific hack for this thing so that these audio/video stutters won’t happen again on RetroArch Android with a Galaxy S3.

It’s unfortunate that the Galaxy S3 doesn’t report its refreshrate correctly - if it had a 58Hz refresh like the Note 2 and if it had just reported that, then things would be working fine right now.

Thank you :slight_smile:

New version pushed - 0.9.8.1 - check the OP. Now Android 2.3+ compatible among other things.

hi, problems with pcsx on android… Does not run metal gear solid. wipeout 2097 wasnt running but now with the recent update(0.9.8.1), is…!

also, problems with Final burn alpha too… Currently fails to run ANY metal slug game. Also Garou, Sengoku, Fatal Fury…Actually it fails to run ANY NEO GEO GAME inc ALL the KOFs… There is nothing wrong with my roms…They are running perfectly Mame4Droid and on aFBA 1.6(Full burn alpha)

This is very confusing!!!

[quote=“Squarepusher”]

This is a known problem and will be rectified as soon as we figure out how to do it.

Can you try disabling soft keyboard and see how that works - just as a test?

For now you can just scroll down the list and manually assign them to keycodes that way.[/quote]

I tried 0.9.8.1, and mapping bug has been fixed. Now it works great. Thank you for your hard work!