Retroarch Crashing on Startup

You can try using our AppImage package:

Just download it and then run chmod +x on it to make it executable. You’ll have to go into settings > directory and set up some things, like your core directory (making a ~/.config/retroarch/cores directory and selecting it would be good).

Can you go into detail on that, please? I also new to linux terminal/command line…it’s all so confusing… I’m using a 32 bits system isn’t that for 64bits?

Thank you

Yeah, it’s for 64-bits, and that CPU is 64-bit capable, so you really should switch to it (32-bit x86 is generally considered legacy at this point), but that’s neither here nor there.

If you were on a compatible system, you would download the appimage to somewhere (we’ll use your home directory, ~/ just for simplicity here), then open a terminal. It should default to your home directory, so no need to change directories, but if you did, you would type ‘cd /whatever/path’ to get there.

Once you’re in the same directory as your appimage, you just type: chmod +x name-of-program.appimage and it will make it executable. From then on, you can double-click it or run it from a terminal like this: ./name-of-program.appimage

Since I don’t know much about using the terminal and command lines I did like this:

• Downloaded the file to Downloads folder

• Right-click on it and click ’ Make file executable’

• Go to Home folder and back to Downloads folder

• It says now it’s executable

• Right click on it and click Execute

• A text file with this name appears displaying weird characters: �!@@X�@8@@@@@@��@@@@ (invalid encoding)

• I click on it and it’s a blank text file…

That works, too. :slight_smile:

However, since it’s a 64-bit executable, it’s not really surprising that it didn’t work with your 32-bit OS.

I read this thread:

It’s for 64bits OS only. I’m running 32bits Linux Lite 3.2 I also have 32bits BIOS.

I wonder what can I do to make this work :frowning:

Upadate on this: I Manage to make RA work. The problem was vídeo driver I changed it to “sdl2” with the “rgui” menu driver.

I tested some cores like fb alfa, gameboy, gamegear, fuse, for what I tested these are working.

The problem is with PS1 cores. I can’t get them to work. I have the BIOS files on RA system dir. The roms load but after a while RA crash.

What could be the problem? Thanks or any assistance on this…

Are you running the beetle-psx-hw core? If so, try switching to the not-HW one. SDL2 may not be up to snuff with the GL support.

1 Like

I was using PCSX1, I changed to beetle-psx core asyou described and it worked! Thank you! However the sound is all crackled/cracked… I tried several audio drivers available and the least worse is tinyalsa, but sound still all cracked even when Sony bios sound starts!

I currently testing these games: Resident Evil (works) Resident Evil 2 (works) Oddworld - Abe’s Oddseye (works) Silent Hill (works) Medal of Honour (does not work I think it’s beacause it’s .mdf format and does not have .cue file) Metal Gear Solid - (Does not work the game loads but when the intro starts RA crashes) I’m using scph5501.bin bios. All games with sound problems.

Any tips for fixing sound issues and run Metal Gear Solid?

Thank you for your help!

Hmm, that likely indicates that your CPU isn’t up to the task of running that core. Many PS1 emulators, like ePSXe, have dynarecs that greatly decrease the CPU load. Unfortunately, we don’t have a dynarec for Beetle-PSX.

It’s weird Metal Gear Solid works well PSCXr emulator and all the other games I mentioned do not! But in RA it doesn’t work with any core…

Hello I have the same problem. I downloaded the latest applemage but it did the same thing as the ppa however 1.3.4 applemage worked perfectly.

1 Like

also building it does not work.

1.3.4 is too old now, we are not at 1.6.4. if you are not able to build it properly, then your doing something wrong(I always compile retroarch for windows and assorted Linux distro while distro-hopping)

i built again using directions from this site- http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Building_RetroArch. And on step three this happens sh libretro-build.sh libretro-build.sh: 86: /home/peaches/libretro-super/libretro-config.sh: [[: not found PLATFORM: Linux ARCHITECTURE: x86_64 TARGET: unix CC = gcc CXX = g++ CXX11 = g++ STRIP = libretro-build.sh: 81: /home/peaches/libretro-super/script-modules/log.sh: [[: not found libretro-build.sh: 81: /home/peaches/libretro-super/script-modules/log.sh: -t: not found Compiler: CC=“gcc” CXX=“g++” libretro-build.sh: 31: /home/peaches/libretro-super/libretro-build-common.sh: [[: not found libretro-build.sh: 32: /home/peaches/libretro-super/libretro-build-common.sh: [[: not found libretro-build.sh: 33: /home/peaches/libretro-super/libretro-build-common.sh: [[: not found libretro-build.sh: 34: /home/peaches/libretro-super/libretro-build-common.sh: [[: not found libretro-build.sh: 35: /home/peaches/libretro-super/libretro-build-common.sh: [[: not found libretro-build.sh: 36: /home/peaches/libretro-super/libretro-build-common.sh: [[: not found libretro-build.sh: 37: /home/peaches/libretro-super/libretro-build-common.sh: [[: not found libretro-build.sh: 38: /home/peaches/libretro-super/libretro-build-common.sh: [[: not found unix unix libretro-build.sh: 287: /home/peaches/libretro-super/libretro-build-common.sh: Syntax error: redirection unexpected peaches@cb:~/libretro-super$

Also if I keep going, ./configure works but make doesnt. terminal gives this-cores/libretro-ffmpeg/ffmpeg_core.c:25:34: fatal error: libavdevice/avdevice.h: No such file or directory compilation terminated. Makefile:150: recipe for target ‘obj-unix/cores/libretro-ffmpeg/ffmpeg_core.o’ failed make: *** [obj-unix/cores/libretro-ffmpeg/ffmpeg_core.o] Error 1

you seem to be following the guide for msys2 and this guide is old… official guides is here.

http://buildbot.libretro.com/docs/compilation/ubuntu/

if you are using Ubuntu or similar variant, it should not be a problem to compile. if you are on other distro, then youll have to find a way to find the correct dependencies and commands.

i tried it again but when doing I get sudo apt-get build-dep retroarch Reading package lists… Done E: Unable to find a source package for retroarch and when i went on i got the same error as before when making it.

read the guide I linked. everything is there. “unable to find source packaged” then clearly you are missing steps.

it said to uncomment something in the repisitories. I tried that but it didnt change anything. more specifically what does this mean-Depending on your configuration you may need to uncomment the deb-src repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list, /etc/apt/sources.list.d/libretro-ubuntu-testing-$version.list and then run apt-get update before running apt-get build-dep

I looked it up and did three different ways and all of them gave me unable to find source packaged.