Retroarch.exe has stopped working

Hi all,

Any help with this would be great…

I have tried 3 different versions of retroarch with no luck on any including the latest nightly however whenever I try to open Retroarch I see the command window then a standard white window opens then retroarch crashes with the windows message “Retroarch.exe has stopped working”. I have tried all sorts to get this working but still no luck and I have seen posts with others suffering the same but no resolution on what fixed it. Im running Windows 8.1 x64 which is 100% up to date as of today and installed the DX9 redist installer. I cant see anything logged for this issue either just a generic application crash message in the windows event logs.

Thanks

I should also add im running this on a laptop with “mobile intel 4 series express chipset family” gfx.

Same here. I think its a problem with the xmb menu driver. As a workaround open your config and switch your menu driver to glui or rgui. @hunterk this is what i got with --verbose : RetroArch [ERROR] :: RetroArch is built for dynamic libretro cores, but libretro _path is not set. Cannot continue. RetroArch [ERROR] :: Fatal error received in: “init_libretro_sym()”

are you using an old build? try launching with --menu

I’m using the latest version 1.2.1 but --menu works

This happened to me after I loaded a shader. I just went into the cfg file and deleted to shader and all was well again.

Hi all,

I should have said previously I did try changing the menu driver and I had also played with shader’s however this didn’t fix the issue. At some point I will try this on the same hardware with Windows 7 as its currently on a Windows 8 with the Microsoft gfx driver as the manufacturer has ended driver support on that chipset upto windows 7. Thanks for all the posts though :slight_smile:

Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I’m having the same problem and have no idea what to try next

I’m getting the same issue. Mine is specific to a certain machine though. My main desktop computer and surface pro 3 run it fine and always have. I just got a intel NUC i5 and this is the machine I’m having issue’s with. It just immediately crashes upon launching. I thought it might be because it’s using intel HD graphics as its gpu. But so is the surface pro 3 which runs it fine. I installed all the same redistributables that are present on my surface pro 3 onto the intel NUC. I’m running windows 10 on the surface pro, and windows 8.1 on my NUC and main pc. They’re all x64.

I have no idea what to do, the event viewer spits out a useless report. Well at least I think it’s useless. No leads are generated by the event viewer event. The NUC has an intel HD 6000 and the surface pro is running Intel HD 4400

I have no idea what to do next either. This particular problem doesn’t give any obvious leads.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Can you guys get logs? Launch from a command line with --menu --verbose >> log.txt 2>&1

You want me to run that in the Windows CMD Prompt? If so it says it’s “not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.”

Also quick update, I did notice when I installed RetroArch on this PC, let’s call it PC (A), it was missing some .dll files that I found by installing on the separate PC (B). Still didn’t help.

Also, the Instance of RetroArch DOES launch from the jump drive on PC (B), but does NOT on PC (A).

Trying to give the most information I can, RetroArch WAS working ON PC (A) BEFORE updating to Windows 10.

Yeah, go into your RetroArch folder, ctrl+shift+right-click in that window and choose ‘open command window here’ (it’s either ctrl or shift, but you can just hold both and it’ll work). Then, type: retroarch.exe --menu --verbose >> log.txt 2>&1

And yes, if you did the minimal download that’s missing a bunch of DLLs, you’ll need to download the ‘redist’ and drop its contents into your RetroArch folder, as well. Tbh, it’s easier to just download the full install in that case to make sure everything is in the right place.

As soon as I ran it, I get the pop-up RetroArch.exe has stopped working… I’m going to try a few things and I’ll report back

Reinstalled EVERYTHING: Drivers, C++, Visual Studios and .Net Framework, Java, DX, RetroArch, anything I could think of.

Ran in Visual Studio and this is what it showed: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F907EBFF11660E70!169&authkey=!AIn-T3-CERcFxiM&ithint=file%2Cdocx

This is the error when launching FROM RocketLaunch : Could not find your emulator\application: “C:Media Center\HyperSpin\Emulators\RetroArch\retroarch.exe”

I just tested our full bundle (http://bot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86_64/RetroArch_full.7z) on windows 10 and it worked fine ootb. The last error you posted means that there is no retroarch.exe in that path you specified

So I ran it and it worked… The only thing that I did differently was install VLC media player x64. Surely that’s not a requirement though? It’s also working fine without --menu --verbose. How odd.

I don’t know guys, there’s definitely an .exe file in my folder… I downloaded the full bundle directly, even tried older versions to no avail. Like I said, I even downloaded the bundle on another PC, it worked fine, so I put it directly on a flash drive and tried to run it like that… nope. Gave up and downloaded each emulator separately, all of them work. Way too much of a hassle to try and figure it out, it’s just been days of headache, and a pissed girlfriend.

HI,

I did what Huntek asked but the log is empty…

Finally i did a clean reinstall and after the 4th try its working!!! Now i have sound issue ahahahhahaha this is never gonna end right? :stuck_out_tongue: