RetroArch iOS release (v1.0.0.1)

For those having issues installing the IPAs: -If you’re using a file transfer program on the PC, make sure you have afc2add installed; otherwise the program may still see your device as jailed. -Ensure you have AppSync 7.0+ installed. Make sure to install it from a respectable source. I initially had appsync 7.0+ installed through a different source, but trying to install the ipa gave me errors and was unsuccessful. So I uninstalled appsync and reinstalled it through a different source. The IPA then installed with no issues.
-That’s pretty much it, you shouldn’t have any issues installing through itunes or a file transfer program. No need for extracting the IPA files as well. A few things to note though, opening retroarch and loading content gave me the ability to filter through all my folders; however it was only picking up folders and none of the content inside (even after pressing the refresh button). The only folder that it seems capable of seeing any content is its actual application folder; and that’s where you need to put your stuff to be able to load and play your content. You’ll need to use a file manager/explorer program. Using such program Go to User Applications. Scroll down and find RetroArch and click on it. Place your games inside the ‘Documents’ folder. Inside the Documents folder will be the ‘.RetroArch’ folder, place your bios in here. You can also use itunes and place your games using file sharing in the App tab, however bios will still need to go in the appropriate folder. Anyways, hope this is helpful for anyone wanting to give meancoot’s ipa builds a whirl. I still have to test it out, will share my thought afterwards.

whew…regarding my post before this one, sorry (to anyone wanting the help) if some things don’t make perfect sense. At first, it was very specific. Though upon hitting the submit button, I got an error that said it was flagged as spam and was denied. So I had to edit and take out key parts that the system may flag as spam, such as specific cydia sources and specific file managers/explorers.

I forgot one thing. When I try launch .wad file of Doom1/Doom2 RetroArch crashes. I remember it worked on iOS 6.0.1.

meancoot, thank you for your build of RA. My keyboard is working now. Can you do something with prboom core?

[quote=“meancoot”] Here is a build that fixes some major issues present in the one I posted above.

http://www31.zippyshare.com/v/68967950/file.html

Not too much. Problem is that none of the ARM dynarecs are 64-bit compatible, and until there are more ARM64 devices released that is not likely to change. I will try making a 64-bit build sometime and see how it runs though.[/quote]

run super very fast in iphone 5S,some minor issues like black textures.

also no animated joystick.needed a transparent skin controls like mupen64 (playstore)

cant wait for a new test build.thx

Alright, here’s some feedback on meancoot’s latest test build. First will be the ipad air. Show Frame-rate was enabled in settings. CORE-PCSX Rearmed (used an icontrolpad in icade mode. The only settings changed were input overlay, input settings for the icontrolpad, and enhanced resolution was enabled or disabled depending on what game I was playing): Evil Zone (Fighting): Rock solid 60.0fps during gameplay. FPS did not fluctuate. Legend of Dragoon (RPG): Same as above. Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden (SRPG): Same as above. (Enhanced resolution was disabled for this game since it caused a slight artifact on the map/doesn’t really do anything for 2D games). CORE-VBA Next (used an icontrolpad in icade mode. The only settings changed were input overlay & input settings for the icontrolpad): Super Robot Wars J (SRPG): Rock solid 60.0fps during gameplay. FPS did not fluctuate. Golden Sun 2 (RPG): Same as above. CORE-Desmume (used an icontrolpad in icade mode. The only settings changed were input overlay, input settings for the icontrolpad and frame skip from 0 to 1): Note- Saving in game drops the frame rate. Also results are still a per game basis with some games playing full speed at 0 frame skip, while others like Golden Sun Dark Dawn are not playable at all. Super Robot Wars W (SRPG): At frame skip set to 0, during gameplay, FPS was steady at low 50s, dropped no lower than 47fps, highest was 54.1fps. At frame skip set to 1, steady at 59-60fps, did not drop below 58fps. Pokemon Heart Gold (RPG): I was able to test this game on 9.9.6, however on 9.9.7, the game just goes to a black screen after pressing start to begin or continue a game; even crashed retroarch a few times upon pressing start. Yugioh 5Ds World Championship 2011 (card game): Frame skip set to 0, steady at 56-60fps. However, during the AI’s turn, the FPS drops when the AI is thinking, as low but not lower than 46.9fps. At frame skip set to 1, there are improvements across the board; however the AI thinking still causes dropped frames. CORE-Mupen64plus (used on screen controls, no other settings were changed): Mario Kart 64: Steady reads of 30fps during gameplay. Super Smash Bros: Steady 54-59fps in training, 56-59fps in single player. Zelda Ocarina of Time: Steady 20fps during gameplay. There were slight artifacts going on in the grass though.

Well, that’s it for the iPad Air; overall, I’m impressed with its performance. I’ll be testing the exact same games on the iPhone 5s; expect very similar results, though perhaps not as rock solid results as the iPad air.

Oh, also it was very nice having the option to use the FPS monitor in settings. Will that feature be staying for us iOS users when the new update comes out?

I think there is no reason to cut this feature off. Anyway it always was availible in RGUI of RetroArch.

But I have one request to devs. When you choose the Load Content option, RetroArch shows at first page his Documents folder in /var/mobile/Applications/RetroArch/. I dunno, but I think no one has his ROM-files in that folder. It’s a little annoying to do some unnecessary manipulation to start playing. Please, do something with that. For example, let RetroArch immediately show /var/mobile/Documents/ or /var/mobile/Media/ folders. Thank you.

[quote=“meancoot”]Here is a build that fixes some major issues present in the one I posted above.

http://www31.zippyshare.com/v/68967950/file.html

Donkey Kong 64 Is broken on that build meancoot, The problem is you got no health making you die one hit from an enemy :frowning:

Perhaps I should have been a little more specific on that statement. In the 0.9.9.7 test build meancoot has provided us, there’s a new tab in the ‘Settings’ tab in RGUI called ‘show framerate’ which allows us to enable/disable viewing of our FPS during gameplay.

Now the only platform I have used Retroarch is on iOS, and while I have no doubts about that feature being available on other platforms, such as PC (FPS meter viewing on PC emulators is usually a standard feature), this feature isn’t available on the iOS port of Retroarch (specifically 0.9.9.6, currently the version of retroarch available on themaister cydia source). I’ve loaded up PCSX ReARMed, and in the RGUI menu, there is nothing that allows me to view the FPS during gameplay. Nothing in settings, nothing in core options. The only thing in video options is the ‘estimated monitor fps’, which is just that, it doesn’t give you real time viewing of your FPS while playing a game at the same time. If I’m severely missing something on the current available build , please point me in the right direction.

On other news, for those who may not know, mobile substrate (now called cydia substrate) along with ifile have been updated for iOS 7, hopefully the devs for btstack/blutrol don’t take too long to come out with their updates.

Alright, here’s some feedback on meancoot’s test build on the iPhone 5s. Same games and settings were used from the ipad air testing with the addition of changing the aspect ratio (stock for the DS & N64 core and 16:9 for the rest). Without further ado, here are the games and the results! PCSX reARMed: Evil Zone- steady readings of 59.8/60.0fps during gameplay.

Legend of Dragoon- steady readings of 59.8/60.0fps during gameplay. The lowest the FPS dipped down to during gameplay was 58.8fps.

Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden-steady readings of 59.0 through 60.0fps. There were consistent 59.8/60.0fps readings, and the lowest the FPS dipped down to during gameplay was 58.8fps. VBA Next: Super Robot Wars J- steady readings of 59.3/60.0fps during gameplay

Golden Sun 2- same as above. DeSmuME: Super Robot Wars W- at 0 frame skip, constant frame rate readings of 46 through 52fps during gameplay. With frame skip set to 1, 53 through 59fps readings.

Pokemon Heart Gold- read previous ipad air testing, same thing happens here.

Yugioh 5Ds World Chapionship 2011- at 0 frame skip, 58 through 60fps readings; however during the AI’s turn, FPS can drop as low as 40fps. At frame skip set to 1, 59 through 60fps during your turn and as low as 46fps during the AI’s turn.

Putting the frame skip on 2 gives the iPhone 5s similar performance as the iPad air on frame skip set to 1. So I usually keep it on 2 when playing on the 5s. Mupen64plus: Mario Kart 64- steady 30.1fps during gameplay.

Super Smash Bros- steady 58 through 59fps in training, 56 through 59fps in single player.

Zelda Ocarina of Time- 18.5 through 20.1fps during gameplay. Still the same artifact issue going on in the grass.

Well, that completes a little feedback regarding meancoot’s latest build he’s provided for us. Would be great if other users provided more feedback/suggestions besides something not working or complimenting how great RetroArch is (which it is, btw.lol). At least that keeps conversations between devs and the end user consistent, as well as keeping a board from drying up…The Retroarch iOS section seemed a lot more lively before the forums had gone down. Lol

Oh yes, you right. Just checked on the 0.9.9.6 ver., there is no FPS Show option in the RGUI. Sorry for my incompetence.

And could you check the prboom core? Maybe my .wad files have broken.

Hmmm, I’m not too familiar with this core…I’ll have to read up on some info on this first, then I’ll give it a try on both 0.9.9.6 and the 0.9.9.7 build. I’ll get back to you on it afterwards.

Hmmm, I’m not too familiar with this core…I’ll have to read up on some info on this first, then I’ll give it a try on both 0.9.9.6 and the 0.9.9.7 build. I’ll get back to you on it afterwards.[/quote]

Alright Boris, I tested the prboom core on both 0.9.9.6 and 0.9.9.7. Doom 1 & 2 played fine. If the game isn’t starting or crashing retroarch, that’s probably because you either have a bad wad file, don’t have prboom.wad in the same folder as the games, or both. For the prboom core, all my files were lower case-including the extension. If you have something that looks like this in your folder, then you’re good to go:

doom1.wad doom2.wad prboom.wad

:slight_smile:

Oh my … It’s my stupidity that I forgot about that file after backuping from 6.0.1. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Could you please try conkers bad fur day, jet force gemini and banjo kazooie on ipad air? =)

Well did some testing on my iPAD mini retina with the latest build posted here.

PSX ReARMed - FPS Steady 58.0~60.0 with Shader 2xSal Tekken 3 / Chrono Cross / Alundra

Mupen64plus - FPS is not acurate so i can’t really say

Super Mario 64 is working very well IMO. Shadows are flickering but some artifacts are expected since is a alpha release.

Conker’s Bad Fur Day is not working and it crashes in the “Mature content warning”. Very low FPS is noticible.

Regarding the controls I’m not finding the options to set the controller mode. I have a iPEGA 9017 that should work on iCADE mode. There is a option for auto detect the joystick but apparently it requires some preset files.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :frowning:

Could you please try jet force gemini, star was shadow of the empire and banjo kazooie?

I’m actually not too big on N64 actually, personally I think the best systems Nintendo came out with were the super nintendo, gameboy advance (I like the micro the best), and the DS lite. I was too busy playing the Playstation and sega saturn when N64 was out. lol Anyways, I have tested those games for you though (on ipad air, 0.9.9.7); here are the results:

Conkers Bad Day- It’s exactly as Pralima87 has stated.

Banjo Kazooi- 30fps during gameplay, however this game is totally unplayable due to major graphical artifacts.

Jet Force Gemini- 27 through 30fps during gameplay

Personally, I’d wait till the final build of 0.9.9.7 is released, especially for seriously testing how a game runs on the N64 core on a specific device. I’m sure there’s still plenty of work to go into this core, bugs to be fixed, controller layout to be improved, etc…like I said, I’m also not very familiar with N64 games and their native FPS speeds. For the games that appear to be working, to me they feel very playable at the readings I’m getting. For N64 games, are they all supposed to be running at native 60fps, or are only some games native at 60fps while other cap at 30fps? I always thought that all old school console (7th Generation and down) games were all 60fps and didn’t have any of this 30/60fps drama that goes on in the current/next gen gaming world…can someone confirm on this?

Manage to make my iPega-9017 to work.

Mange to make 2 modes work from the controller 4 modes Joystick/Keyboard/iCade/Mouse.

iCADE mode is working with Retroarch bluetooth set to iCADE :D. Start/Select/Analogs do not work on this mode so IMO is useless.

Keyboard mode is working with Retroarch bluetooth set to well Keyboard mode :D. Almost all buttons are working except the right analog. This not Retroarch’s fault since the controller on Keyboard Mode do not enable the right analog.

To make all buttons work Retroarch needs to detect the controller on Joystick mode. But i can’t make it work.

Pralima87, have you tried disabling joypad auto detection and just manually setting each button and analog stick in the player 1 section? Also, how’s the controller, build wise/performance wise, especially the dpad? Would the dpad be good enough/responsive for fighting games?