RetroArch iOS release (v1.0.0.1)

I am one of those certain users and I have to say I love this project and the work you have put in. My iPhone 5 is happily running gba games at max fps with 6% gpu usage ? (According to Xcode anyways) This is by far the best emulator project for devs with non jail broken idevices

Yeah, this is the advantage of having not put all of my eggs into one basket (ie. dynamic recompiler-based CPU cores) - since it now turns out modern-fangled (walled gardened) OSes try their best to prevent you from running such code. The PS3 GameOS normally doesnā€™t support dynarecs either (without firmware hacks) - neither does Windows RT.

So an alternative for non-jailbroken phones right now (for PS1) would be Mednafen PSX but you will have to wait for the ARM equivalent of a Core i3 to turn up to be able to run that at fullspeed - Iā€™m almost certain it will run too slow right now even on the highest-specced iPad so far.

VBA Next (both it and Mednafen GBA being interpreter CPU-core based) I have been told should run at fullspeed on an iPad 4 - it certainly doesnā€™t run at fullspeed on an iPad 2/iPad Mini but I guess thatā€™s the A5 CPU for you.

Yep, VBA Next seems to run at full speed on iPhone 5 as well.

I think thereā€™s a glitch with the home button while youā€™re in-game.

I got the exit to sram feature working, and minimizing while back on the list of cores works fine

But pressing the home button while playing a game causes the emulator to completely close, and it does not save a state in that process

Double-tapping home button and then clicking on the RetroArch icon in the task bar should bring it back and the game should continue as usual.

This is not really a bug. This is how every app functions on iOS.

There is a issue with playing with a PS3 Controller and the auto-lock. The phone screen goes black since you are not using the touchscreen.

This is easily fixed by using sbsettings auto-lock toggle. But in the next release this could be look at i guess. So that the PS3 Controller is recognized as you using the screen.

Blutrol also had this issue but i think it was fixed in the latest release.

Also a turbo option would be nice. A chance to configure a button as turbo mode.

This can be done already - go to the Cocoa overlay, select Core Config, under Input goto System Keys, and bind either ā€˜Toggle Fast Forwardā€™ or ā€˜Hold Fast Forwardā€™ to a button or key.

[quote=ā€œSquarepusherā€]

This can be done already - go to the Cocoa overlay, select Core Config, under Input goto System Keys, and bind either ā€˜Toggle Fast Forwardā€™ or ā€˜Hold Fast Forwardā€™ to a button or key.[/quote]

Sorry i mean the turbo that you only hold a button and it continuously act like you are pressing it :D.

This can be done already - go to the Cocoa overlay, select Core Config, under Input goto System Keys, and bind either ā€˜Toggle Fast Forwardā€™ or ā€˜Hold Fast Forwardā€™ to a button or key.[/quote]

Sorry i mean the turbo that you only hold a button and it continuously act like you are pressing it :D.[/quote]

There is something like that available on PC but I donā€™t know about iOS.

hi, I want to thank you guys for the best emulator for iphoneā€¦ I do not understand how some sites still do not talk about this emulator ā€¦ However, I wanted to know if there is a way to convert the save file. sav, in PS1, or other in this format .state ā€¦ this is because I do not want to start all over againā€¦ and i hope that will be gameshark codes menu for the next versionā€¦

Depends what emulator you made those savestates in. But yeah - just renaming them could do the trick. This should certainly work for memory card files that is.

Ok Thank youā€¦ i will try ā€¦

Double-tapping home button and then clicking on the RetroArch icon in the task bar should bring it back and the game should continue as usual.

This is not really a bug. This is how every app functions on iOS.[/quote]

That does not occur on either my iPhone 5 or iPad 4.

Retroarch completely crashes and no sram or savestate is made, unless I go to the menu and exit to the core menu first.

Edit: I have uploaded a video. If crashing isnā€™t a glitch, then thatā€™s fine- I just thought it was unusual that I had to manually exit the game to save my sram/savestate

Thanks so much! This looks awesome and Iā€™ll try it out tonight when Iā€™m at home with my iPad. Iā€™m so glad I found this in time for my flight next week. Playing PSX games on my Android phone absolutely demolishes the battery. And mad respect for using LaTeX to write the manual. A suggestion: do try changing the margins so itā€™s not quite so humongous by adding this to the preamble:

\usepackage[margin=1in]{geometry}

Thanks for making PS1 emulation a reality on iOS.

Iā€™m having some issues with saving the game however. Whenever I save my game in FFVIII it doesnā€™t seem to ā€˜stickā€™. After I restart the application the game save simply isnā€™t there. Save states work fine but I wonā€™t be able to progress beyond the first disc with only save states.

Iā€™ve only noticed this in FFVIII, my FFVII is saving and loading correctly. Any ideas why?

Retroarch crashes if you hit the home button. You have to exit the game from the menu for it to write the sram.

This is not really a bug. This is how every app functions on iOS.[/quote]

That does not occur on either my iPhone 5 or iPad 4.

Retroarch completely crashes and no sram or savestate is made, unless I go to the menu and exit to the core menu first.

Edit: I have uploaded a video. If crashing isnā€™t a glitch, then thatā€™s fine- I just thought it was unusual that I had to manually exit the game to save my sram/savestate

http://youtu.be/1Ii3jCmv7qw[/quote]

Crashing is definitely not intended but i have not experienced it on either my ipad 2 or ipad mini. Perhaps meancoot can look into the issue since he has an ipad 4.

Retroarch crashes if you hit the home button. You have to exit the game from the menu for it to write the sram.[/quote]

As a stop-gap measure - bring up RGUI and select Save State. There are an infinite amount of state slots you can save to and load from.

Sure - Ill look at making those changes. I will also upload the original Tex files.

Retroarch crashes if you hit the home button. You have to exit the game from the menu for it to write the sram.[/quote]

As a stop-gap measure - bring up RGUI and select Save State. There are an infinite amount of state slots you can save to and load from.[/quote]

Itā€™s not a huge issue, but it can be if youā€™re in the middle of playing and you recieve a phone call/Facetime request. It happened to me after playing Legend of Dragoon for about 45 minutes. :frowning: