RetroArch iOS release (v1.0.0.1)

Thanks to the devs for bringing top notch emulation to iOS (and for free!).

I have a small problem, though. I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 on iOS 6.1.2 and when I start RetroArch, I get this error:

“Browsed path is not a directory”

After that, I get an empty Documents list and I can’t add ROMs with either iTunes (file/documents sharing not enabled in the App section) or iFun (can’t find the Documents folder)

I uninstalled and re-installed RetroArch and rebooted my iPhone to no avail. Maybe a problem with permissions?

One thing I would like to see in a future release is the option to load ROMs from another location in the iOS file structure. I already have ROMs in the /var/mobile/Media folder and it would nice to have the choice.

Thanks again for your work, it’s greatly appreciated!

Just use SSH for now I guess. I think you can only ‘transfer’ over files from iTunes to predesignated folders or apps that were installed through the official Apple Store.

One thing I would like to see in a future release is the option to load ROMs from another location in the iOS file structure. I already have ROMs in the /var/mobile/Media folder and it would nice to have the choice.

Thanks again for your work, it’s greatly appreciated!

This would create consistency issues between jailbroken and non-jailbroken users. We are not going to be making RetroArch on non-jailbroken devices some distant second- or even third-class citizen to the jailbroken version. The two should be fundamentally the same - hence why we insist on the Documents folder being the central ROM path and nothing else. You will just have to swallow this - sorry - this is how Apple wants your apps to deal with content, and that is how we are going to do it - if there was more flexibility and if it wouldn’t cause issues on non-jailbroken then we could offer this indeed.

just copy them into your media folder. Use ifile and enable the setting so you can see application names instead of something like 2425j3h4634644j747. just cut and paste the files into the documents directory of the app. simple and painless. you can add a shortcut to the documents folder in the app to make transferring a lot faster and easer in the future.

or

you can just use ifunbox and it will see the documents folder and you can set it up from there.

or

use the itunes file share then use ifile to put them in folders :slight_smile:

you dont need to buy ifile for these features

hell you could use ifile to create a link to the retroarch documents directory via ifile so you can use it via ifunbox

we could add that to the deb to create a link to retroarch in the /var/mobile if needed

Is there a way to get a progressive joystick on a PSX game? Playing Legend of Dragoon becomes a game of patience without one.

I used iFunBox to go to the /Applications/RetroArch folder. There wasn’t a Documents folder there. I created one and put some ROMs in it and I still have the same error (Browsed path is not a directory) when I restart in RetroArch.

Is this the correct path?

lodovik dont use ifunbox use iexplore or read my above post

So, I was just thinking about how psx emulation sucks on the iPhone the other day and went to see if the scene change and was pleasantly surprised that RetroArch was released.

I’m on a jailbroken iPhone 4s on version 5.0. I didn’t have an urge to upgrade and jailbreak before so I skipped the 6.12 version and now I regret it.

Some of the cores work for me, but the two psx ones don’t at all. Just double-checking this is what I should be experiencing on 5.0, right? For someone like me, what are my options? I don’t want to lose my jailbreak, but if there won’t be support added for older versions, I may contemplate upgrading to use the non-jailbroken version…

Some users have reported that iOS 5 works for them.

What actual error message are you getting? ‘Failed to load game’? More often than not that means your permissions (for your ROMs/ISOs/ROM directory) are wrong (due to SSH file transfers with root user most probably) and you should set user/group ownership recursively to mobile:mobile and set read-write permissions on them.

Hmm… I guess maybe I might be doing something wrong. I have an .iso and bios file that works in psx4all and I moved them into the Documents folder that loads in RetroArch. I changed the permissions to this…

I also changed the permissions of the .iso and bios files to match and I placed the bios file in the .RetroArch folder that generated in my Documents folder.

With those set, I get a “failed to load” error with Mednafen and ReARMed crashes out of the app.

I don’t understand what you mean by the Roms directory. Does RetroArch allow navigation? I’ve only ever gotten it to go to that one Documents folder.

By ‘Roms’ directory I mean the ‘Documents’ folder of course that you are sandboxed into.

Anyway, looks like it might be an iOS 5 incompatibility problem. We would have to look into making it more backwards compatible with iOS 5 I guess (which we should have done from the start but I digress really).

Either that or it could be an ISO problem. Try loading the ‘.bin’/’.iso’/‘whatever’ binary file instead of the ‘.cue’ cuesheet file.

Anyway, do any of the other cores work for you?

One of the snes ones do, the genesis one does… The gba and DS ones don’t, and the psx ones don’t either.

But yeah, I know how these things go. I’ll wait until the next version and see.

Then it’s definitely permission problems or your ISOs being incompatible/bad.

It can’t be the issue that certain cores work and others don’t and that this is the cause of iOS 5 - either everything works or nothing does.

Perhaps meancoot has some more ideas here but I am pretty confident it has nothing to do whatsoever with RetroArch here and more with your ROM files - the permissions on them - permissions on the ‘folder’ itself - and so on. GBA uses an interpreter CPU core just like every other emu so that can’t be it - DS and PSX use dynarecs but on a jailbroken untethered device that should work.

Either way, you need to provide us with more information in any case - crash logs and whatnot are needed here - because all of this isn’t telling us very much.

Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t realize there were crash logs. Where can I find those? You also said it could be a bad rom/iso, but would that be the case if it runs in psx4all (albeit, poorly, but I’m sure that’s not the iso’s fault)?

The start button does not work on the pcsx rearmed for ios

Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t realize there were crash logs. Where can I find those? You also said it could be a bad rom/iso, but would that be the case if it runs in psx4all (albeit, poorly, but I’m sure that’s not the iso’s fault)?[/quote]

Different strokes for different emulators really - I can’t really claim to know.

It does. You must not be mapping it correctly or something along that nature

It does. You must not be mapping it correctly or something along that nature[/quote]

No, like the settings thing is like In the way and I can’t access to the start button and like idk how to remap it to somewhere else like in the bottom area

Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t realize there were crash logs. Where can I find those? You also said it could be a bad rom/iso, but would that be the case if it runs in psx4all (albeit, poorly, but I’m sure that’s not the iso’s fault)?[/quote]

Different strokes for different emulators really - I can’t really claim to know.[/quote]

You said there were crash logs or something? Is that like written to a file I can post here to diagnose or…?

It does. You must not be mapping it correctly or something along that nature[/quote]

No, like the settings thing is like In the way and I can’t access to the start button and like idk how to remap it to somewhere else like in the bottom area[/quote]

You must be talking about an overlay or something -and neglecting to mention which overlay you’re actually talking about.

No, like the settings thing is like In the way and I can’t access to the start button and like idk how to remap it to somewhere else like in the bottom area[/quote]

You must be talking about an overlay or something -and neglecting to mention which overlay you’re actually talking about.[/quote]

Yeah,… the overlay for the pcsx rearmed, I’m using the default one and like the setting thing on top is in the way for the start button and like idk how to remap the start button to be in the bottom