RetroArch PS3 releases (v1.0.0.2)

RetroArch PS3

This is a port of RetroArch to jailbroken / debug PlayStation3.

Cores currently supported:

• Genesis Plus GX
  • SNES9x Next
  • VBA Next
  • NEStopia
  • FCEUmm
  • Mednafen PCE Fast
  • Mednafen NGP
  • Mednafen VB
  • Mednafen Wonderswan
  • MAME 2003
  • Prboom
  • QuickNES
  • NX Engine (Cave Story)
  • Tyrquake
  • FInal Burn Alpha
  • Gambatte

Downloads can be found at “the usual places”.

The DEX version has been uploaded today - I’ll try to contact either pete_uk or Gravox tomorrow on Skype to look at getting a version out for CEX. I’ll supply all the needed files then so that they only have to look at getting it all resigned.

Hi Squarepusher - sorry to butt in - I’m gonna try and do a CEX-resign for the Retroarch PKG but so far, no luck sadly! :frowning:

That doesnt work. Returns back to XMB (rebug 4.30.2)

So it appears the cores is the issue. Eboot may be correct but the cores are not. Where the cores touched?

I know - hence me editing my previous comment to remove the non-working PKG download link.

As for the file modifications, ALL of the files (EBOOT/SELFs) has been modified for CEX usage - I’m going to try and sort it out and see what the problem is.

Yea from what i been told in the past. The cores shouldn’t be touched. However i am not 100% sure if my memory is correct.

Update: here is a few good post:

http://www.ps3crunch.net/forum/threads/6299-RetroArch-Official-Build-Support-Thread?p=67258#post67258

&

http://www.ps3crunch.net/forum/threads/6299-RetroArch-Official-Build-Support-Thread?p=67260#post67260

Well, if that is the case, then I will start from scratch, with the DEX files as is, and just resign the EBOOT

Pfff - no luck there either - it just kicks me back to XMB without any error message.

I’m not sure to understand the purpose , but just in case …

The only file to change for make a pkg usable for a 3.55 cfw is ps3-cores-cex-355.sh Using make_self (for the core) , make_self_npdrm (for eboot) and package_finalize.

#!/bin/sh
RARCH_VERSION=0.9.9

make -C ../ -f Makefile.ps3.salamander clean || exit 1
make -C ../ -f Makefile.ps3.rgl clean || exit 1
make -C ../ -f Makefile.ps3 clean || exit 1

make -C ../ -f Makefile.ps3.salamander || exit 1
make -C ../ -f Makefile.ps3.rgl || exit 1

EXE_PATH=/usr/local/cell/host-win32/bin

for f in *_ps3.a ; do
   name=`echo "$f" | sed 's/\(_libretro\|\)_ps3.a$//'`
   whole_archive=
   if [ $name = "nxengine" ] ; then
      whole_archive="WHOLE_ARCHIVE_LINK=1"
      echo $name yes
   fi
   cp -f "$f" ../libretro_ps3.a
   make -C ../ -f Makefile.ps3 $whole_archive -j3 || exit 1
   #make_self_wc ../retroarch_ps3.elf ../CORE.SELF
   /usr/local/ps3dev/bin/make_self ../retroarch_ps3.elf ../CORE.SELF
   mv -f ../CORE.SELF ../ps3/pkg/USRDIR/cores/"$name.SELF"
   rm -f ../retroarch_ps3.elf ../retroarch_ps3.self ../CORE.SELF
done

cp -r ../media/rmenu/*.png ../ps3/pkg/USRDIR/cores/borders/Menu/

make -C ../ -f Makefile.shaders deploy-ps3

#make_self_wc ../retroarch-salamander_ps3.elf ../ps3/pkg/USRDIR/EBOOT.BIN
/usr/local/ps3dev/bin/make_self_npdrm ../retroarch-salamander_ps3.elf ../ps3/pkg/USRDIR/EBOOT.BIN UP0001-SSNE10000_00-0000000000000001

rm -rf ../retroarch-salamander_ps3.elf
python2 ../ps3/ps3py/pkg.py --contentid UP0001-SSNE10000_00-0000000000000001 ../ps3/pkg/ retroarch-ps3-cfw-$RARCH_VERSION.pkg
/usr/local/ps3dev/bin/package_finalize retroarch-ps3-cfw-$RARCH_VERSION.pkg

7rtype - we are looking for somebody who can make a resigned version of RetroArch 0.9.9 for CEX PS3. Can you do it for this occasion? pete_uk is nowhere to be seen as well as others and I don’t really feel like getting myself clued up on this resigning stuff.

If you can get it resigned for 3.55 to 4.31/whatever CEX version with all the cores in the DEX version then let me know. I think you only need to resign EBOOT.BIN and nothing else.

You could include your WIP emulator cores if you are confident enough about bundling them in to get feedback on them.

For now i’ve build V0.9.9 but with only my WIP cores ,not all the super repro . And as i wrote previously the only change i made is replace: make_self_wc (for the cores) by ps3dev make_self make_self_wc (for the EBOOT.BIN) by ps3dev make_self_npdrm and finish by a ps3dev package_finalize.

Now if no one can do it , i can compile all the cores then do a pkg but i ll take long time !

For resign a pkg i’ve first to learn how to extract it :slight_smile: then as you say , i think we have only to make_self_npdrm on retroarch-salamander_ps3.elf to get a proper eboot and redone the pkg (and package_finalize ) .

For the Wip as you say they are wip . (maybe hatari could )

Guess I’ll just resign this thing myself then if nobody is up to it.

Let it never be said that I didn’t go out of my way to prolong the lifespan of this PS3 scene.

Ok sorry , honestly i wasn’t aware we have just to do a make_package_npdrm -x to extract :slight_smile: i have just done one pkg (141Mo) but can’t test it for now on my ps3 .

With the help of pete_uk I just released the CEX version at ‘the usual places’.

Tks. It’s working now.

I’ll have to look why some shader/presets aren’t working anymore. (mdapt, for example.)

I’m new here. Where’s the download link?

http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/update-retroarch-v0-9-9-released-new-cores-new-shader-system-more-3400/

Just a quick bug report:

“Path options” do not seem to be saving; more specifically, the Browser Directory. I set it to direct to a folder on the PS3 HDD but it disappears after every restart of Retroarch.

Hi Hyllian!

Some advice please. :slight_smile:

The reason I got into retroarch is because of your wonderful xBr filters. Ima big fan, etc. etc.

However, excited as I was for this new release, the newer version of Retroarch PS3 doesn’t seem to play well with your filters.

For instance, where 5xBR-v3.7d.cg worked well with the Genesis core (that’s what I use for my baseline) in single shader mode, it runs sluggish in this newer version. :frowning: sigh

Not to knock the efforts of the programmers of this emulation software. It’s not like they are being paid for this.lol…

And the problem is that I probably don’t know how to properly optimize this shader now given the changes. For instance, gone is the ‘point’ setting and bilinear settings so I’m guessing ‘nearest’ is replace point and linear is replacing ‘bilinear’?

In either case, maybe you can show me ‘please’ a preset for dummies explanation for how to properly set up this filter? I have a hard time believing after the upgrade that these filters would run worse than better. I read that the redid the video optimization software from the ground-up AND all the cores are upgraded in one form or another, etc. So shouldn’t since run better? Hence it’s probably my naivete in setting it up.

Also, if in your own humble opinion there is a better xBR look then please share! So far 5xBR-v3.7d seemed to look the best to me. But maybe your new filters with this NEW version of Retroarch can provide an even BETTER xBR look? If so, I wouldn’t know where to begin. But maybe you can offer some suggestions please. :slight_smile: You mentioned that some of your newer in-progress filters will eventually surpass the 5xBR-3.7d look in time. Perhaps that’s the case now with this new upgrade? But I wouldn’t know how to make this work nor how to optimize it. So maybe you can offer some advice.

Thanks again for your time sir! :slight_smile:

Yeah, I know some things need update. I only got my hands on this new 0.9.9 version for PS3 yesterday. I’m testing the shaders and some aren’t working or are just the cgp files outdated.

Have you tried running it with only one pass?

Another thing: any change in shader options need you to choose the option “apply shader changes” to see the effects in game.

That’s right!

Well, the first cgp I tried and failed was the mdap.cgp (in dithering folder). It’s a cgp specially developed to take care of dithering (present in many genesis games). It seems many cgp and some shader files need updating.

Though the mdap cgp failed, I’ve got it running correctly by putting the right shaders manually. So I tried making and saving a new cgp for three passes (two mdapt and the last with 4xBR). It looks good with many games plagued by dithering. You can test by downloading the cgp and putting in the retroarch shader folder.

The cgp is here: https://anonfiles.com/file/9a30595ff5f496c5acb013adb6113156

Some shots of this cgp running on Retroarch for PS3:

OK, Ill fix that up for 0.9.9.1

Perhaps maister can give a more thorough technical explanation of how the fixed 2 shaderpass system previously worked so that it properly demystifies why certain shader combos now appear ‘slower’ but in reality are not really so - since previously there was no control over each pass’ FBO size.