Retroarch psp

Hi so I read on a few sites that there will possibly be a psp port of retroarch, is this still a possibility? I was curious to know what sort of performance boost it would have over existing emulators for the psp such as snes9xTYL etc? Will the cores run at near / fullspeed? Thanks

The port is very preliminary right now - there won’t be any progress until after the upcoming release this holiday season.

I can’t make any statements as to what kind of performance we’ll be able to achieve - most likely we will need cores with far lower system requirements than (say) something like SNES9x Next for a puny 333Mhz MIPS CPU.

I’ve also talked to notaz and he might be considering bringing Picodrive back and this time offering a libretro port as well.

Thanks for the reply. That’s great news. I’m a big fan of picodrive and it would be great to get an update. I hope other psp emu devs are tempted to port their work to libretro :wink:

Just curious, is the psp port still on the cards for the next version of retroarch?

To be honest it’s kinda been put on the backburner for now since iOS and Blackberry are far more lucrative. I’ll eventually return to it though although the PSP is way underpowered these days compared to Android/iOS/Blackberry devices - you’re probably better off just getting one of those instead.

Yes it can be great to have a real joystick on portable (unlike the iphone) . Furthermore this is a opportunity to switch on an old and useless PSP :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it’d be worth waiting for the Vita to be fully opened up (currently emulators on that device only work through PSP emulation) and porting to that, since it’s more powerful and the controls would be perfect for full dual analog PSX emulation. Assuming it ever does get opened up like that.

By the way Awakened - the Dingoonity mods got mad at me for ‘advertising’ RetroArch (bullshit - I am not the one raking in thousands of dollars of cash with ‘Kickstarters’ for ultra niche purported open source handhelds that don’t even have GL ES support, and I don’t have illusions of ‘buying up Atari brands’ and ‘launching legitimate emus on an app store’) and ‘insulting’ ‘hard-working devs’ (uhuh - more like ripoffs and thieves like Broglia who STILL has failed to comply with ekeeke and Charles McDonald’s wishes to make his emu port - MD.emu - free) so I was pre-emptively banned on there. Given the attitude displayed by those CGW Zero guys, it left a bad aftertaste in my mouh and I don’t really feel like having to ‘prove’ myself to these guys -so don’t expect to see me reaching out to those guys again and in fact any other projects like that.

Everytime we reach out, they take it as a sign of weakness and think that we somehow have to ‘prove ourselves’ to them. I’m not going to be doing that. I want people who respect me and who have confidence in our ability to deliver to help us out with the project - one way to do that would be through code commits, the other would be through hardware donations. But we certainly are not here to ‘prove ourselves’ to any one startup with delusions of grandeur.

So hardware gifts/donations are still welcome and in fact necessary - but really, I’m not going to reach out again. I offer my services and my free time (which I have too little of anyway) and my generosity gets shoved back in my face - not cool and not done. Will not repeat it again. Lesson learned.

Understandable. I don’t like how lately they’ve been sort of anti emulation in general. It’s pretty dumb when it’s the main appeal of the device for most people. It’s sounding like the hardware itself might not be that great anyways, with reports of the d-pad sucking, like in this review. He mentions that SNES4xD looks bad scaling up to 320x240 also, which sucks since I’ve gotten used to 4:3 aspect ratio correction for SNES and other retro consoles.

Ideally for handheld emulation I’d like something with an excellent d-pad, face buttons, triggers, dual analogs, imperceptible input lag, stereo speakers and a good screen. The Vita has all of those, but who knows if or when that will be opened up like the PSP was for emulation. Official controller support in iOS7 has potential to fullfil those needs if someone makes a good enough controller. Currently my iControlPad is very laggy over bluetooth and the facebuttons, analogs and triggers aren’t great.

To be honest it’s kinda been put on the backburner for now since iOS and Blackberry are far more lucrative. I’ll eventually return to it though although the PSP is way underpowered these days compared to Android/iOS/Blackberry devices - you’re probably better off just getting one of those instead.[/quote]

Are you still considering returning to this port at some point? Would love to see retroarch on PSP as I’m sure would many others (for an improved snes emulator for one :slight_smile: ).

It doesn’t have the CPU horsepower for good SNES emulation (not even SNES9x 1.43-type ‘good’). Hell, I struggle with SNES9x Next on a 1Ghz ARM Cortex A8 CPU as-is - no chance on a puny 333MHz MIPS CPU.

Only thing that would make it worthwhile is that the latest version of Picodrive just got ported to libretro (and got open sourced again) and that a RetroArch PSP port would bring a far more recent version to the handheld.

I’d guess for the PSP to handle SNES emulation well, it would have to have an emulator written for MIPS from the ground up.

Ah ok, fair enough lol. I hope you dont mind me asking, what cores would be candidates for the psp port and how would they compare to the existing psp ones? Would there be much improvement if at all? I would be interested even if the psp retroarch would only include the updated picodrive core lol.

Just bumping my previous post due to the good news :wink: What cores will be present in the psp port and how will they compare to the existing psp ones?

Gambatte and Nestopia are planned and will be significant improvements over the existing GB/C and NES emus, respectively. I think Picodrive is planned, as well, but I’m not sure on it or any others.

That’s great news

The real challenge will be anything beyond Genesis, for sure. A gpSP core would be the best bet for GBA, but SNES will be extremely tough, if not impossible without pulling code from an ancient version, just like the current SNES emulators on PSP do.

Heard the news of Retroarch coming to PSP. AWESOME

Gambatte on PSP would be great. The other gb,gbc emulators have their problems

If it can run on the PSP, then it should work on the Vita. Vita owners would have the OLED screen to try it on. That’s two new systems Retroarch gets ported to. Can’t wait to try it

Stupid question , how to build Retroarch for psp ? ive build a core with pspsdk and then launch psp1-cores.sh in dist-scripts and now i have a prx file in psp1/pkg , but what next ? dont not supposed to have a EBOOT for retroarch ? Can someone explain how to build properly retroarch on psp ?

Edit: ok , i v’e miss the EBOOT in the root folder :frowning: , but now stuck with 800200D9.

can you give a bit more details like what CFW are you running, what core/rom did you try and what PSPSDK are you using to compile ?

the port is still experimental, and not all cores work correctly, gambatte would be the best one to try atm, also try deactivating any [GAME] plugins you might have running in you CFW.

btw, you can use the usbhostfs_pc/pspsh/psplink combo (from your PSPSDK) to quicky launch RA on your psp over usb without having to copy the files over each time after you compile. and you would also get stdout/stderr redirected to your desktop.