Sameboy update?

Has the Sameboy core ever been officially updated? The downloaded core sits at 0.11.2 f1a75fc but the standalone sits at 0.12.

This core has it’s own custom BIOS that needs a dependency in order to be compiled. The buildbot doesn’t have this dependency, so Radius used to maintain a patch that added precompiled BIOS. He doesn’t really work on libretro stuff anymore, so the repo that has that patch hasn’t been updated.

Sameboy’s author was talking to the libretro devs about creating a libretro branch on the upstream repo with a precompiled BIOS that would be updated every stable release. And then the buildbot could be updated to pull from that. I think that was during the time people were abusing the netplay lobby, which divided the devs attention and it got forgotten. So we just have to wait for the author to reach out again.

In the meantime, I did figure out how to compile the core from upstream for Win64 using msys. I grab the precompiled BIOS files from the old buildbot branch, clone into the upstream repo, place those BIOS files in “home/[username]/SameBoy/build/bin/BootROMs” and then run make libretro. The .dll ends up in the “build/bin” folder. Here’s a copy I just built: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsh0xrk0rd9z0ag/sameboy_libretro.zip?dl=0

4 Likes