Sega MegaDrive - Animated Border

Decorative and animated border- overlay for Retroarch,

Based on the original Sega Megadrive console design.

DOWNLOAD:

- with retroarch logos: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c3VTq7XcBRcEpSqNEslE-4FjAhrIogIp/view?usp=sharing

- with sega logos: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ilmGCGJ9kjM3H_EzoJ9TZELPPrjzgxQ0/view?usp=sharing

3 AND 6 BUTTON OVERLAYS

Click on the MODE button to switch

RECOMMENDED VIDEO SETTINGS

For a proper full screen display on a 16:9 screen:

SETTINGS \ VIDEO \ SCALING \

• INTEGER SCALE: OFF
  • ASPECT RATIO 4:3
  • CROP OVERSCAN: OFF

ENABLE BUTTONS ANIMATION

SETTINGS \ ON-SCREEN DISPLAY \ ON-SCREEN OVERLAY

Set : SHOW INPUTS ON OVERLAY TO : PHYSICAL (CONTROLLER)

RECOMMENDED 6 BUTTON CONFIGURATION

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO

For a proper distribution in the buttons for the 6 button mode, Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter games were taken as main example.

For MORTAL KOMBAT games overlay controller mapping is: X and A are set for High and Low Punch, Y and B are for Run and Block, Z and C are High and Low Kick

For STREET FIGHTER games overlay controller mapping is: X Y Z are light, medium and hard punch A B C are light, medium and hard kick

RETROARCH BUTTON INPUT CONFIGURATION

For the defaults 3 button configuration, recommended mapping should be

• Overlay A button should be Retroarch Y button
  • Overlay B button should be Retroarch B button
  • Overlay C button should be Retroarch A button

RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR THE 6 BUTTON MODE

• First set your controller in the main input settings, to match your game pad: SETTINGS \ INPUT \ PORT 1 CONTROLS

• LOAD ANY 6 BUTTON GAME

Open the main menu quick menu \ controls \ port 1

Step in the each button and press left/right to change options

set the buttons like this:

• A BUTTON = C
  • B BUTTON = A
  • X BUTTON = Z
  • Y BUTTON = X
  • L BUTTON = Y
  • R BUTTON = B

GO BACK (press backspace on the keyboard )

MANAGE REMAP FILES \ SAVE GAME REMAP FILES

(this way input mapping should be done for each 6 button game)

OR Store your 6 button roms in a dedicated folder and instead choose: SAVE CONTENT DIRECTORY REMAP FILE ( THIS WAY YOU DONT HAVE TO DO THIS FOR EVERY GAME )

9 Likes

Looks awesome :open_mouth:

Thanks for making and sharing it! (and thanks for including a version with the logos sanitized!)

I submitted it to the overlay repo for inclusion with future versions of RetroArch: https://github.com/libretro/common-overlays/pull/83

4 Likes

THANK YOU ! What do you think about the menu toggle (the one over the d-pad) It is on the off position as it should be on when the menu is onscreen. But also looks like the “console is off”

I get what you’re saying, but I don’t think it’s a problem. There’s no way to map reset or close content to an overlay, so the power button would be totally useless otherwise. This seems like a good use for it to me beyond just simple decoration :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have an idea for that! Can you pause the submision ? I’ll add the modification in a moment.

That’s pretty awesome.

1 Like

Sure, no problem. We just won’t merge it until the update, and if someone merges it accidentally in the meantime, we’ll just overwrite it :slight_smile:

1 Like

DONE! Here is the updated one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c3VTq7XcBRcEpSqNEslE-4FjAhrIogIp/view?usp=sharing

Can you edit my post and delete the download links? seems like i cant do that yet. i’ll keep future updates links on the youtube description video.

4 Likes

thank you! you are a legend!

1 Like

oh, clever idea with the menu-as-reset button :smiley:

1 Like

is there some way to change the 3 buttons to 6 buttons overlay without clicking Mode button ? I tried by keyboard hotkey but no result.

I tried to. But not that i know. I believe overlay changes only respond to click/touch actions. I was asked to do that already. I’m planning an update to that one. With some changes including 6 button as default.

1 Like

This is awesome, you’re doing such amazing work with these controller overlays! Wil you be updating this with a Mega Bezel version as with the Super Fami overlay?

1 Like

Thank you ! Sure. I’ve learned to customize the basics of the mega bezel. But this overlay needs a complete refresh first.

4 Likes

Is it possible to have the animated bezels converted to Shaders, such as the MegaBezel, or it can only work as an overlay function?

1 Like

Unfortunately this is only currently possible with overlays. More retroarch functionality would need to be added for it to be possible with a shader.

1 Like

yup like @HyperspaceMadness said. Meanwhile, the overlays + the mega bezel work flawlessly together!

1 Like

The reason I asked is because sometimes, I like switching to the next/previous shader, depending on the console and such. The following are only static pngs (with the exception of the first screenshot, which is actually a dynamic glow), but since no overlays are used in the others, I don’t think Retroarch would be able to bring the animated overlays with the next shader, or can it?

Examples of my current setup, pressing the next/previous hotkeys to change to next shader:

1 Like

afaik, the next/prev shader switch , only affects the shader. Overlays could be asociated to specific games and cores.

2 Likes

I Tried Before And it is Awesome!!!

1 Like