Sega Saturn emulator YabaSanshiro as a core?

Nice! I like a lot Saturn beetle core but it require a powerful CPU (3 Ghz) to run at full speed.

@te_lanus I have seen a build for Linux too inside the buildbot.

Yes, saw it this morning when I woke up, yesterday evening it wasn’t there :smiley:

Just mentioning this : apple devices being what they are (a scam ?), and YabaSanshiro/Kronos heavily relying on technologies such as opengl compute shaders (available on every OS since 2012 ? except apple ones…), don’t expect this core to run in opengl mode on macosx (as far as i know, the same applies to ios) before a long time.

2 Likes

The developer of Yaba Sanshiro is pursuing a Vulkan back end. :slight_smile:

Hello friends! I’m new here but I have an issue with YabaSanshiro…Although I can download the stand-alone emulator (2.10 currently) from uoYabause site and run the emulator fine…the core from RetroArch which is actually the same version constantly crashes…I’m running Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit)…does anyone has any idea why this happens? Thanks!

We would need a log of the crash to even guess what’s going wrong.

At launch ? Are you sure it’s crashing ? Maybe you are just missing the bios (in which case the core will close iirc) ?

Hello thanks for the responses…I managed get working NightWarriors and Marvel Super Heroes…all the other games crash in a very similar way just before the game title or game menu appears… I’m using a bios file and I’ve created a log file…it’s just I can’t seem to upload it from my post as it lets me upload only jpeg, png and ico files…

copy/paste it to https://pastebin.com/ instead

Here it is https://pastebin.com/xdtp4ndt

Your logs don’t show the problem, and i can confirm Guardian Heroes (USA) works properly for me (the “Darkwater” dump you are using), please show me your core options.

I actually created the log using the retroarch --verbose command line…it’s just something a found so I’m not sure we got the right results to actually see what’s happening…Anyway here is the options menu…

Sorry, i can’t see anything explaining your crash. Maybe there are issues with the 32-bit version of this core ? Sadly, debugging this with a 32-bit setup will be pretty much impossible for me.

Not a problem also thank you very much for your responses…to be fair my set up is not exactly Saturn friendly because for Saturn emulation I mainly rely on SSF…but when I saw that devMiyax is actually improving the Yabause core I thought that it’s the only way I can play Saturn games with nice shaders as well! Anyway hopefully the core will improve with future updates who knows! Thanks again!

Has anybody been experiencing this issue where games with looped audio doesn’t repeat? First game I noticed it on was Guardian Heroes on the first stage. After the bgm finishes it’s always suppose to repeat the same bgm infinitely but instead it plays a different bgm. I noticed this on every game I tried with looping bgm as well

@Dante FWIW, Kronos is now also available for windows 32-bits

1 Like

Barbu do you experience any sound issues using Yaba such as bgm not looping in games? I left a game on pause one time and instead of the bgm repeating itself when it ends it seemed to just play forward through the whole ost.

@sonkun I’m not that much interested in YabaSanshiro issues, for the reasons mentioned in https://github.com/devmiyax/yabause/issues/630, a summary :

• author not interested by the libretro port
  • codebase unfriendly for libretro ecosystem
  • source code released in a way that, imho, disrupts strict GPL compliance

As far as i’m concerned, the YabaSanshiro core is provided as-is, as an alternative if you can’t use the Kronos core, whose author is a lot more friendly toward FOSS & libretro.

2 Likes

Just read through that whole thread and all I can say is damn. Sucks because Yaba to me is way better used here than stand alone, I don’t even use stand alone anymore. At least here you can save specific game overrides for games that may or may not start depending on if you use the built in bios or not. I’m on a Shield TV so my only option for decent Saturn emulation is Yaba, Kronos doesn’t even appear as an option, Beetle is too demanding and Yabause is… yeah lol. Looks like things are shaky for Libretro Yaba at the moment

1 Like

It’ll keep existing, using upstream sources when they are made available, the only thing is that i won’t use more energy than this project deserve, i prefer throwing this energy in Kronos which is a more promising project imho. Kronos only supports opengl at the moment, which is why it’s not available from our android buildbot (standard android devices don’t support opengl, and you can’t have gles+opengl in the same retroarch build, which is a shame for shield TV which is actually the only android device that support opengl)

1 Like