Sega Saturn emulator YabaSanshiro as a core?

Any change of getting the Saturn emulator YabaSanshiro working as a core? On my Windows 10 system I’m seeing way better performance as compared to the two existing Sega Saturn cores.

2 Likes

It would be great, yeah, but most of that performance is coming from their dynarec, which needs to be “position-independence code” (or “PIC” compliant) to work in a libretro core. I’m not sure if that’s the case currently. It certainly wasn’t when we initially ported Yabause.

Their GL renderer is nice, as well.

1 Like

+1 that would be great, the Retroarch yabause core is broken right now and bettle Saturn is too demanding and doesn’t have higher resolutions.

In what way? Is there an issue open for it on the core’s github repo?

I think there are a few, it doesn’t work at all on Android or Windows, just try to run any Saturn game on pc using yabause and you will see.

It just crashes Retroarch on my x64 Windows 10 system.

1 Like

Their GL is nice indeed! I asked the same question a few months ago. Are you guys in touch with the Sanshiro people? They might be willing to help make their code libretro-friendly, in case it’s not at present.

Except the x86_64 one which was broken last time i checked, their dynarec should be ok to port to libretro. Actually i ported kronos (a fork of yaba sanchiro with a working x86_64 dynarec) to libretro a few months ago, except the fact it needs a libretro opengl implementation (standalone relies a lot on opengl for speed), and that there is something wrong with the multi thread (too many threads are spawning), the core runs games with the dynarec enabled. Sadly i won’t be able to fix this by myself (multi thread and opengl are beyond my skills), any help would be welcome :

Edit : kronos standalone also have support for arcade ST-V games, unlike yaba sanshiro, so i think it would be a better choice than yaba sanshiro for a libretro port.

3 Likes

It would be nice to have it but it s a paid emulator no? No sure the author appreciate to distribuate his emu for free no?

No. Since it’s a fork of an emulator licensed under GPL, as long as he keeps bits of the original code, the license stays the same and it can’t become closed source or paid emulator.

ah ok thanks for your confirmation

What is the feature set of kronos? Does it include Upscaling and texture filtering?

Does Yabause/YabaSanshiro include it ?

Don’t know. Thats why I am asking. As far as I know yabause contains upscaling very very limited

YabaSanshiro (uoYabause) upscales rendering resolutions to your native Display or 1x/2x/4x increments. It has limited texture filtering with only Bilinear, FXAA, and Scanlines available only while using the multiplier resolution options.

Bilinear Filtering has little affect if any on 3d textures.

1 Like

And it does that very well in fact!

YabaSanshiro does not emulate well 2D fighting games. :frowning:

Can u compile the kronos core and share it?

+1 for that Kronos core. Also a yaba sanshiro libretro core would be great it could even work on mobile like standalone yaba sanshiro and the emu has upscaling so pc users get happy to, mednafen is too demanding.

@brunobelo

It depends on the 2d fighting game at the moment. This is what I get with my Shield TV on the latest version 2.1.5.

Working: (Some with minor graphic/sound bugs, but fully playable)

• Street Fighter 2 Collection
  • Super Street Fighter 2 Collection
  • Street Fighter Alpha
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3
  • Vampire Savior
  • Nightwarriors Darkstalkers Revenge
  • Marvel Super Heroes
  • Astra Superstars
  • Asuka 120 Burning Fest
  • Cyberbots
  • Fighters History Dynamite
  • Galaxy Fight
  • Fatal Fury 3
  • Golden Axe The Duel
  • Groove on Fight
  • King of Fighters 97
  • King of Fighters 96
  • Mortal Kombat Trilogy
  • Pocket Fighter
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury Special

Not Working

• MSH vs SF
  • Xmen vs SF
  • Xmen COTA
  • WakuWaku 7 (Loads, but huge graphical issues making it non playable)