Sega Saturn emulator YabaSanshiro as a core?

Just because it’s working doesn’t mean it’s well emulated. A lot of games of your list have glitches, making them barely playable. Astra superstars is just one example…

Which games and what bugs? Maybe our definitions of playable are different. What bug in Astra Superstars makes it unplayable?

Yeah, our definition of unplayable is different, for sure. :slight_smile:

Again, i don’t think YabaSanshiro is the one we should port, kronos is basically an improved version of it.

Edit : another thing to take into consideration : i’m in contact with the author of kronos and he is very interested in a libretro port because it would alleviate his work on frontends (his fork is targetted at cross-platform, unlike YabaSanshiro)

5 Likes

Then go for kronos :slight_smile:

Oh, there is even a third emulator which is yabause based? Why all the different forks and no push to the yabause officially? But it’s nice to see that Saturn emulation got some attention the last years and I hope to see more progress in general. Perhaps mednafen guys can work together with the other ones when it comes to specifics?

Things have started to move for the kronos-libretro port, while the port still lacks an opengl implementation, is not present in the buildbot, and only tested on linux x64, it runs both saturn and ST-V (arcade saturn) pretty well. If you want to test it, there are basic instructions at https://github.com/FCare/Kronos/tree/extui-align/libretro

3 Likes

Looking forward to an official build soon, possibly with chd support.

So, I just checked latest core builds and Kronos is listed there, but no word on Libretro’s blog so far. Any previous settings for bios, etc needed or will it work without pre configuration?

it’s still WIP. Last I checked it was crashing on some threading issues, including loading saved games, and the GL renderer isn’t hooked up yet, which is sort of a big deal for Kronos. However, the dynarec is up and working, and it seems to be at least usable.

Nice Hunter, one thing I noticed is that it still doesn’t support CHD files, so I couldn’t test it. I’m just happy that we all have one more alternative for Saturn in Retroarch.

cool, looks like it only builds for windows :thinking:

Nice! I like a lot Saturn beetle core but it require a powerful CPU (3 Ghz) to run at full speed.

@te_lanus I have seen a build for Linux too inside the buildbot.

Yes, saw it this morning when I woke up, yesterday evening it wasn’t there :smiley:

Just mentioning this : apple devices being what they are (a scam ?), and YabaSanshiro/Kronos heavily relying on technologies such as opengl compute shaders (available on every OS since 2012 ? except apple ones…), don’t expect this core to run in opengl mode on macosx (as far as i know, the same applies to ios) before a long time.

2 Likes

The developer of Yaba Sanshiro is pursuing a Vulkan back end. :slight_smile:

Hello friends! I’m new here but I have an issue with YabaSanshiro…Although I can download the stand-alone emulator (2.10 currently) from uoYabause site and run the emulator fine…the core from RetroArch which is actually the same version constantly crashes…I’m running Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit)…does anyone has any idea why this happens? Thanks!

We would need a log of the crash to even guess what’s going wrong.

At launch ? Are you sure it’s crashing ? Maybe you are just missing the bios (in which case the core will close iirc) ?

Hello thanks for the responses…I managed get working NightWarriors and Marvel Super Heroes…all the other games crash in a very similar way just before the game title or game menu appears… I’m using a bios file and I’ve created a log file…it’s just I can’t seem to upload it from my post as it lets me upload only jpeg, png and ico files…