Sega Saturn Kronos: Having trouble switching discs! (Please Help!)

Can anyone help me I’m using the Sega Saturn Kronos Core and playing Panzer Dragoon Saga and am having trouble switching to Disc 2. I set up my m3u file and everything like this:

042 Panzer Dragoon Saga Disc 1 of 4 (U).cue

042 Panzer Dragoon Saga Disc 2 of 4 (U).cue

042 Panzer Dragoon Saga Disc 3 of 4 (U).cue

042 Panzer Dragoon Saga Disc 4 of 4 (U).cue

And my m3u file is named: Panzer Dragoon Saga.m3u

And I follow these steps to switch the disc:

Play until the “Please insert disc 2” prompt.

Quick Menu > Disc Control > Eject Disc.

QUICK MENU > RESUME, just for a second.

Quick Menu > Disc Control > Current Disc Index, change for disc 2.

And finally: Insert Disc.

I load up Disc 2 but the Saturn menu just sits there and the Disc won’t load. Am I doing anything wrong? I tried restarting in the quick menu but that brings me right back to the Saturn menu…

1 Like

I’m not sure if it changed at some point, but you used to have to close the virtual tray after switching discs. Is that still a thing?

No that’s not working…

Can anyone help me I’m playing Panzer Dragoon Saga and am having trouble switching to Disc 2. I set up my m3u file and everything like this:

042 Panzer Dragoon Saga Disc 2 of 4 (U).cue

042 Panzer Dragoon Saga Disc 3 of 4 (U).cue

042 Panzer Dragoon Saga Disc 4 of 4 (U).cue

And my m3u file is named: Panzer Dragoon Saga.m3u

And I follow these steps to switch the disc:

Play until the “Please insert disc 2” prompt.

Quick Menu > Disc Control > Eject Disc.

QUICK MENU > RESUME, just for a second.

Quick Menu > Disc Control > Current Disc Index, change for disc 2.

And finally: Insert Disc.

I load up Disc 2 but the Saturn menu just sits there and the Disc won’t load. Am I doing anything wrong? I tried restarting in the quick menu but that brings me right back to the Saturn menu…

Afaik, you don’t need to do that, not that it should hurt either.

That sounds like perfectly normal behavior, Sega Saturn won’t autostart discs, you need to start it manually (top left icon : “Start Application”). Or am i misunderstanding something about your issue ?

Hmmm, that sounds like your second disc isn’t recognized, can you start this 042 Panzer Dragoon Saga Disc 2 of 4 (U).cue by itself ? Are you sure there is no mistake in this filename ?

Btw, what editor did you use to create your m3u file ? I kinda remember some editors were doing crap, i thought the issue had been solved but maybe i am misremembering ? You might want to try creating a new m3u file with a proper editor, like notepad++.

I guess we’ll need some log file if your issue persist.

Disc 2 and 3 didn’t start by itself but disc 4 did. I used notpad to make the m3u file.

I opened up Disc 1 in notepad and it looks like this: this disc works

FILE “042 PANZER DRAGOON SAGA DISC 1 OF 4 (U).BIN” BINARY

TRACK 01 MODE1/2352

INDEX 01 00:00:00

TRACK 02 AUDIO

PREGAP 00:02:00

INDEX 01 60:59:23

TRACK 03 AUDIO

INDEX 00 61:07:60

INDEX 01 61:09:60

Disc 3 looks like this and it doesn’t work by itself:

FILE “C:\SATURN\044 PANZER DRAGOON SAGA DISC 3 OF 4 (U).BIN” BINARY

TRACK 01 MODE1/2352

INDEX 01 00:00:00

TRACK 02 AUDIO

PREGAP 00:02:00

INDEX 01 59:44:13

TRACK 03 AUDIO

INDEX 00 60:01:70

INDEX 01 60:03:70

Trying to edit it any suggestions? Changing disc 3’s first line to FILE “044 PANZER DRAGOON SAGA DISC 3 OF 4 (U).BIN” BINARY, didn’t do anything and it still won’t open up by itself in Retroarch. Do you think I have a bad or corrupted ISO?

I don’t think it’s a retroarch issue as I tested another clean rip of the game and all 4 single discs loaded up in Retroarch Kronos. So, I guess I have two bad disc rips?

Unless I can further alter the file path of Disc 2 and 3 to get it to run I guess I’ll have to start the game over using the other clean rip of the game I have and make a new m3u file and hope it works when I have to switch discs again…

Ok, so that’s not a kronos/retroarch/m3u issue, you’ll need proper dumps if you want to play.

Is that the actual name of your bin file ? Earlier you copied this :

Is it 042 or 044 ? :thinking:

I think there is a big mess with your filenames, and all your issues are probably related to that.

I got it to work I just substituted out the bad rips of disc 2 and 3 with clean rips of disc 2 and 3 and updated the m3u file so everything looks like this:

045 Panzer Dragoon Saga Disc 4 of 4 (U).cue

Panzer Dragoon Saga (Disc 2 of 4) (NTSC).cue

Panzer Dragoon Saga (Disc 3 of 4) (NTSC).cue

1 Like