SGENPT-MIX - Sega Genesis Pseudo Transparency Mixer shader

That’s nice! Which Blend Level are you using? On most genesis games a BL=0.0 is enough because they only have low contrast checkerboard dithering. OTOH, some games exhibit high contrast dithering that only disappear or get minimized using a bigger BL= 0.8 ~ 1.0.

1 Like

I’m using it at 0.50 or 0.70, today when I get home from work I will test some more to see how much I need.

This was a screen that bothered me a lot! But now it’s fine with me, the dither looks like on my old TV!

2 Likes

KKK the dithering made the filtering nuts. Genesis artists used and abused dithering for effects. The new TVs didn’t help genesis games. It looks so much better with a good filtering!

2 Likes

Really, especially the Eternal Champions

I had a lot of difficulty filtering this screen, there was no way to adjust the vertical lines in mdapt without causing failures, and with gdapt it’s the same. Mdapt and gdapt are still an excellent option for me, but not in a case like this in Great Circus Mystery.

Examples:

gdapt with max error prevention lvl and max of color metric exp

mdapt with color metrix exp in 10.00, vl lo 9.95 & vl hi 10.00

sgenptmix with bl 50

1 Like

Good. Different approaches to the same issues. I’m sure there are other examples where mdapt/gdapt exhibit advantages. Dithering isn’t an easy issue to solve. There are too many particular cases where some approach is better than others. In this case, it’s clear that SgenPT-mix does a more homogeneous treatment of the picture, even if it degrades more overall.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think it does a nice job to holistically adjust the image. In the latest version of the Mega Bezel I’ve got both SgenPT-mix and Mdapt, with SgenPT-mix after MDAPT so one or the other or both can be used together :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s a great addition!

3 Likes

It is a great idea to use mdapt with sgenptmix. But on my presets I usually use bilateral or slow-bilateral, the mdapt checkerboard is perfect, but the transparencies are too blurred with these blur filters or denoisers. I have a preset with jinc2dedither to filter checkerboards, sgenptmix for the vertical lines and right after the bilateral, so all the transparencies are very sharp.

I even wanted to know, is it possible to insert an option to activate checkerboads while using the blend?

Not now. I’ll look if it’s possible to only filter pseudo transparencies next time I do my tests. It needs many tests to see if it bring any harms to what is already working.

2 Likes

Obrigado pelo trabalho fantástico com shader para dither!

A versão 5.0 ficou incrível, seria possível uma versão em gsls para que eu possa utilizar no Raspberry Pi 3 com Retropie?

Desde já agradeço!

Yes, I’ll convert to glsl soon.

1 Like

Here you go:

sgenpt-mix-v5 (glsl version as requested)

4 Likes

For NES and SNES games also nice to have that shader in first pass with 0-1-0 parameters. Here is sgenpt-mix-v5+yee64 and DK3 on SNES

3 Likes

Muito obrigado amigo! E parabéns pelos ótimos resultados!

2 Likes

I really like the checkerboarding treatment and blend 0 of your shader, but there are situations where I need checkerboards along with blend 0, so I’m using mdapt along with sgenpt-mix for this. However, I think the sgenpt-mix checkerboard is much clearer, causes fewer errors, and manages to catch details that mdapt’s checkerborad does not. I know I mentioned it before, but maybe if you did a version with two passes, one for checkerboard and one for vertical lines (transparency), and kept the version of one pass. Because this shader is being an incredible solution for my game library (even GBA is fine with this shader).

1 Like

I’m doing some tests about it, even on my vacations (I’m traveling and here and there I find some time to try different ways to filter transparencies and checkerboards).

The problems is that vertical lines detection catch checkerboards too. If I restrict the algorithm to not catch checkerboard, Then some vertical lines are left behind. And that’s not pretty.

It’s like going fish using only one net and you have two fishes to catch: one big (checkerboard) and one small (vertical lines). If you loose the net holes, you let checkerboard pass, though vertical lines pass too. It seems I need two nets to catch both at different times. kkk. I’d like to catch each one using the same net (one pass), but I’m getting convinced it’s impossible. I know how to get checkerboard only, but not only PT.

3 Likes

This is a WIP of what I’m getting now: sgenpt-mix (glsl multipass wip)

Maybe you can help me in find the flaws. I know it’s not ok yet. To use it, put it as the first pass and the v5 one as the second pass. Both at 1x scale. Try catch PT in first pass and checkerboard using regular sgenpt as second pass.

I have some images where this multipass solution fail and I’m trying to find better solution. But maybe it can help you in some cases.

I find that using a crt shader as third pass and blend level 0.8 for the first two passes gets rid of most dithering without degrading image too much.

Some screenshots:

Sem:

Com:

Sem:

Com:

Sem:

Com:

Sem:

Com:

4 Likes

Oh! Thank you! I’m going to work now, when I arrive, the first thing I’m going to do is test this out! I am going to work anxious and that way I may not even sleep because I am testing the possibilities of this! Kkkkk

1 Like