Shaders for 640x480 or 640x400?

Some of the last generation of DOS games ran at 640x400 or 640x480. A lot of them had art styles similar to digitized paintings (which they mostly actually were). Which shaders would you recommend for those games?

Probably best to use CRT shaders that don’t include interlacing jitter, like crt-lottes, and smoothing shaders like xBR. GTU-v50 would be another good one to try, especially since you can disable the scanline effect, which wouldn’t be necessary at those resolutions. In fact, adding dotmask.cg after GTU (with scanlines disabled) would make for a nice low-res VGA combination.

Thanks for the crt-lottes recommendation. The effect is subtle for SVGA games (I’m playing on a retina 13" MacBook Pro, full-screen, which could be a factor), but it’s there and it’s quite nice.

You should try the new crt-hyllian-3d shader. It has two new params (multiplier_x and multiplier_y) that you can tweak to find the best value for games at ‘high res’ (those bigger than 400x400). They’re set to 2.0 as default.

1 Like

This new crt-hyllian-3d shader works at perfection with CvS 1 and 2 and MVC2. Thanks a lot for your work.

[QUOTE=hostile1975;34105]This new crt-hyllian-3d shader works at perfection with CvS 1 and 2 and MVC2. Thanks a lot for your work.[/QUOTE] You’re wellcome! Are those for Reicast core?

[QUOTE=hostile1975;34105]This new crt-hyllian-3d shader works at perfection with CvS 1 and 2 and MVC2. Thanks a lot for your work.[/QUOTE] You’re wellcome! I suppose they’re for Reicast core?

Yes, I use your shader with Reicast core, on the fighting 2D game (with 3D elements).

Looks interesting, can’t wait to try it when I get home. I’ll assume if you double or triple pixels of raster games too it could give more faux definition/detail to work with when it comes to stacking other shaders?

Thanks! I’ve ported the ePSXe version to run on the DosBox fork I’m working on.