Shield TV - Zipped Rom Performance (SNES)

Hi, I only have limited experience with Retroarch - I gifted a RPI to a friend, and helped him setup retropie, and I have now begun setting it up for myself on a 2017 Shield TV connected to a Samsung 4K screen.

Right now, I am attempting to get SNES up and running, using the SNES9X core and various no-intro roms. I had read somewhere to leave the files zipped, as retroarch will decompress the files on the fly, but this is proving problematic for me and I want to be sure I’m not missing something.

If I run a zipped file, the in-game fps drops to 30, with slow video and choppy audio. If I extract the file, and run the sfc, I’m back up to 60 fps with good audio/video. Before I thought to decompress a file to test, I had already tried playing with every video setting in retroarch’s menu, and nothing would allow 60 fps.

I found an old topic on these forums from 2014 which mentions all the way at the bottom that the shield wasn’t able to properly decompress files, and I’m wondering if that is still the case, or if there’s something I’m missing. I would rather not have to decompress, if possible.

On an unrelated note, I’ve also had trouble downloading SNES thumbnails. NES downloaded just fine, but SNES goes from 1% to 2% then back to 0% repeatedly. I found an old topic from awhile back that mentioned something about bandwidth limits, but given that NES went through smoothly, this doesn’t seem likely to me. Is there a method of manually installing SNES thumbs?

Thanks for the help - I’m really enjoying everything retroarch has to offer

Interesting. I took a few comments about zipped roms being problematic so never even tried/tested them. Decompressed all the way for me.

It would be nice to see some others feedback on this subject.

I’m fairly certain there was recent updates to compressed file support written about in one of the Libretro update blog posts.

Just checked and it was the comment “7zip scanning bparker also upgraded the 7zip support to a full first-class citizen (that is, right up there with standard zips), which means you can now scan/load/whatever content that has been compressed into a 7zip archive.”

I have no clue if this helps or if 7z can be used on Shield and I have one lol