Snes9x Core causing OOM/Deadlock Kernel Panics on RPi4

(do excuse a lack of a screenshot, i need to let it idle or run for 2+hrs again to get one)

I have been using the LibreElec+RetroArch build over on the LibreElec forums by “MagicSeb”, and while i havent tried any other core yet, it seems Snes9x (not 2010 or next)is doing something “odd” with memory.

After 2 hours+ of game play or idle a almost “random” mix between a Out of Memory crash (displays a message for a few moments) that’ll throw me back to Kodi, or i’ll get a Kernel Panic stating something about Entering a Memory Deadlock. i dont know if this is soly because im using an 4GB Rpi4 model, or somethings not been patched correctly for RPi4 support or if it isnt exactly the Core persay but RetroArch itself.

The only reason im using Snes9x over the others is for MSU-1 Support. i have no idea how to get debut logs out of these versions of RetroArch vs how you do w/ Windows builds.

Edit: about 2 hours ago i had it just dump to Kodi this time w/o causing a Kernel Panic

Considering the number of issues with rpi4 (power supply, gles implementation, very bad thermals, …), the likely culprit is the rpi4 itself. In the first place, i don’t think a core can cause such issue if it doesn’t on other similar arch.

1 Like