[SOLVED] PPSSPP [v1.4.2-git] - No text in game & unable to save

I am trying to use PPSSPP to play Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, but upon loading the game there is no text visible anywhere: http://i.imgur.com/IfMaAT7.png

I followed the instructions from the reddit post linked by @DerpStation, to no avail. I have also tried to copy the asset files from the standalone PPSSPP emulator into the /home/user/.config/retroarch/system/PPSSPP folder, but this hasn’t worked either.

Additionally, I tried playing Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and I’m unable to save data (excluding save states). I have checked the core information page which presents this information http://i.imgur.com/lQTZndr.png saying the firmware is missing.

Here’s a screenshot of the directory: http://i.imgur.com/5CvZNlQ.png

Ubuntu 16.04, Retroarch v1.6.9, PPSSPP v1.4.2-git.

Update regarding saves: A friend tried this exact method using Retroarch v1.6.9, PPSSPP v1.4.2-git and it worked successfully, allowing hin to save data using the PSP’s built in function. The only variable between my system and his system is the OS as he runs Windows 10 and I’m on Ubuntu.

I am completely stumped as to why this isn’t working!

works fine here (archlinux, at least as far as detecting if the PPSSPP folder is properly set). so there is probably something wrong with your system/saves directory path or missing or old core info files.

EDIT: i dont have psp games that inhibit this no font issue so i cant test but can you instead place “assets” and “flash0” into PPSSPP instead of how you currently doing it? “ppge_atlas.zim” should be in PPSSPP too.

the file/path names are probably case-sensitive too as you said this works in windows 10

Thanks for replying.

System/Bios directory is ‘~/.config/retroarch/system/PPSSPP/’ which is where the assets are located. Save file directory is the default ‘’

It’s funny you should mention the old core info because when I use the ppge_atlas.zim file from the link above, which does work for many other people, the MD5 is actually different from the one listed in Core Information. I’m not sure how relevant that would be to it working, however I’ve tried using older versions of ppge_atlas.zim from the PPSSPP website, but none of these have worked.

Yes all of those files are currently in system/PPSSPP. I tried the lowercase directory, still no luck.

Update: Found the solution with help from someone on Reddit.

After running retroarch in verbose, I noticed in the log that it was trying to locate the asset files in /retroarch/system/PPSSPP/PPSSPP/, instead of /retroarch/system/PPSSPP/. Contrary to all of the resources I have read over the last two days, it seems for me that the assets need to be placed in /retroarch/system/PPSSPP/PPSSPP/.

Here’s a copy of the working directory

Hope this information can help someone else. Thanks for your help too @wertz.

That’s probably because you have your system/bios directory set to /.config/retroarch/system/PPSSPP/ instead of just /.config/retroarch/system/

That makes a lot of sense. I was beginning to wonder whether I would have to alter the system/bios directory when I wanted to use a different core, but your post answered that question. Thank you.

all along i knew it has to be the system path setting that was the issue.