Some questions from a new user

Hi guys

I discovered Retroarch some days ago: until now I have used normal emulator for each console but I read that in a lot of cases it is better to user RetroArch.

Well, do you know where can I find a beginner guide?

I have some questions:

1. Here there are 2 different .zip files (I have Windows 10 64 bit): http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.3.6/windows/x86_64/ --> Which is the file that I have to download? The bigger probably is the full version?
  2. In the full version all the cores are already included? If not, I have to download manually every core that I need form here: http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86_64/latest/ Is it correct? But, if so, how can I know which are the cores that are correct for the console that I want to emulate? For example, I know that Neo Geo is emulated with FB Alpha…but in this page there are a lot of different cores…
  3. every time that a new release of Retroarch is released, how can updated it without losing all my settings?
  4. And, if I need to update a core of an emulator, how can I updated only this core without losing setting for that emulator?

thank you!

[ol] [li] The larger one is the full version that has everything except for cores included and the smaller one has just the some retroarch.exe files and some config files. You want the larger one for first time setup and the smaller ones for updating if you have a previously installed version.[/li][li] No, cores are not included. After you open RetroArch there will be a section called ‘Online Updater’ which is where you can download and update cores individually. They are listed alphabetically by console.[/li][li] When you’re updating just don’t overwrite your retroarch.cfg and your settings will be saved.[/li][li] You won’t lose your core settings when updating a core.[/li][/ol]

For guides there’s Getting Started and Using RetroArch and Dummies Guide: Retroarch.

thank you!

1. ok
  2. perfect!
  3. ok, so if I have to update retroarch, I have to overwrite all the files but NOT retroarch.cfg
  4. if it is necessary to update a core because a new version is releases, is it present a function for download the newest version of the core?Ot I have to update it manually?

thank you for the 3 guides: Unfortunately Dummies Guide: Retroarch.it doesn’t work, is it a broken link?

Sorry I fixed the link. And to update a core you have to go back into the Online Updater and update it. There isn’t any automatic updates.

thanks!! Well, I read that the 1.3.7 stable version is incoming so i will wait it before to start with Retroarch :slight_smile:

last question: speaking about shaders and special filters for every console, are they already included in the full package or I have to download them separately, as cores?

thanks

Shaders are included.

ah ok! thanks!

hi guys, i’m starting to configure Retroarch for Nes and Supernes :slight_smile: I’m reading the guides posted at the beginning of this thread and this tutorial too (https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_4203215175&feature=iv&src_vid=Oeozvnb_-eI&v=WC4NieHGwbo).

I need some help:

1. in the video, at minute from 6:30 to 7:30 (more or less), the guy said that every time I need to update retroarch, it is better to download the new full package, unzip it in a new folder, and then overwrite these 4 items: folders Config, System, cores and the file retroarch.cfg. Do you confirm that this is the best way?

2. When I have to download for the 1st time a core i go in: Online Updater --> Core Updater --> select the emulator (for example bsnes accuracy). And this is the same way when I want to update a core that I have already downloaded, am I right?

3. now I added a rom in the folder. So I firstly push Load Content --> Select File And Detect Core. After that, if I go under my System list, the new rom isn’t available (is it normal). So, in a 2nd time I push Add Content -->Scan directory and after the scan there is No Itmes. But now if I return in my System rom list, the new rom appears!!! So, is this the right way to load and then refresh the rom list?

4. If I want to create, for some emulators, different settings (video settings, joypad command mapping) from the standard setting that I will use, which is the right way? I read in this guide (http://www.powerup.io/gaming/emulators/retroarch, chapter Override, the 2 ways, Simple and Full, but it isn’t clear… So, for example, now I’m working on my first emulator, bsnes_accuracy. When I have finished I have to: a) create a new folder: config/bsnes_accuracy b) create a .cfg file in config/bsnes_accuracy/bsnes_accuracy.cfg. But how can I create it? probably I have to create it diretly from Retroarch, pushing SAVE NEW CONFIG? c) after that, when i load the snes emulator, Retroarch automatically detect its own config file or have I to load it manually (with the option LOAD CONFIGURATION)? d) is it necessary to activate the option Configuration --> Configuration per-core? By default it is OFF…

5. Speaking about shaders: which is the difference between cg and glsl? I tried to select Shader = crt_royale.cfg in order to simulate a crt but i have a problem: the screen is cropped at left and right when I enlarge the screen…why? Probably i have to modify Custom viewport Width and Height from default values to 1920 and 1080 respectively? But i see that the value Height = 1080 isn’t available…but my lcd is a fullhd monitor 1920*1080 so how can I set up it correctly? Now i set Width = 1920 and Height =1200… I set Use FullScreen Mode = ON so in this way the screen is not cropped, but i don’t know if this is the right way…

6. if i want to use the filter for RGB (that it is the better choice if i’m not wrong), i have selected Blarg_NTSC_SNES_RGB because it is the unique RGB filter. is it correct?

thank you very much!

Those are the folders/files that shouldn’t be replaced from a current installation. He unzips the downloaded file to a new folder, than copies over it those folders/files from the “old” folder.

Each user has its own “best way” to update. I personally just unzip everything (except retroarch.cfg) over.

I try to keep (manual) backups of the CFGs in case anything goes wrong.

[QUOTE=legolas119;45068] 2) When I have to download for the 1st time a core i go in: Online Updater --> Core Updater --> select the emulator (for example bsnes accuracy). And this is the same way when I want to update a core that I have already downloaded, am I right?[/quote] Yes, it downloads the latest core version. It doesn’t matter if it’s a new installation or an update.

The rom list is built after you scan a directory. But RetroArch only adds roms if they match it’s internal database - you should update those first, and the “Core Info Files” as well. For NES and SNES, the roms should be those from the “No-Intro” set. After a successful scan, the main interface should be populated by the system’s roms like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu0Vcjjr7SI

Another option is to add the games manually, using a text editor or a third-party tool.

There are two ways to have specific settings for cores:

• Configuration per-core
  • Overrides

The first one uses a complete CFG file, while the second one just changes specific settings.

I prefer to use overrides, since most settings are shared between cores (folders, interface, etc) and i mostly change input mapping and video resolution/scale. In this case, i keep “Configuration per-core” OFF, and turn ON “Load override files automatically”.

The override files should be created manually, as far as is remember. To do that I probably saved a backup of the Retroarch.cfg I configured, then changed the core settings and saved a new config, compared both and copied the differences to the override CFG file.

Can’t help with the shaders, don’t have experience with those.

But remember. Always keep a backup of your CFGs! :smiley:

Per-core configurations are gone and I wouldn’t fet used to them unless you never want to update Retroarch.

hi, thank you.

1. and 2): OK, it’s clear!

2. Well, i confirm that i see roms like in the video. But how can i know if my roms are NO INTRO roms? I confirm that I have already updated databases and Core Info Files.

3. Ok, I will follow the override way. Currently i have configured only one emulator (bsnes_accuracy) with a filter and a shader, and I changed the standard input configuartion in the SNES joypad. So, for example, if now I have to configure a new emulator (NES or Neo Geo for example) an I need to change command input or filter/shaders, it is necessary to create a new specific .cfg file, is it correct? If so, i have to: A) save a backup of my currecnt Retroarch.cfg file. B) then I change configurations of NES joypad (or shader) and then i push SAVE A NEW CONFIG (the file name has to be with a particular name? for example bnes.cfg?) But I haven’t understood your sentence: “compared both and copied the differences to the override CFG file”. Well. if I have my original (backupped Retroarch.cfg file, with super Nes emulator) and the new file (bnes.cfg with NEs configuration), i have to create only ONE .cfg file, that includes both emulators configurations?

4. Ok, i discovered that the new shader is crt-royale-kurozumi.cgp. But how I have to modify Custom viewport Width and Height from default values (960 and 720) to 1920 and 1080 respectively? I see that the value Height = 1080 isn’t available…but my lcd is a fullhd monitor 1920*1080 so how can I set up it correctly? Now i set Width = 1920 and Height =1200… ​​​​​​​but i don’t know if it is correct…

5. Can anyone help me, please?

6. Emulators: for SNES, which is the best? bsnes_accuracy or bsnes-mercury_accuracy? And for NES, which is in your opinion the best emulator available in Retroarch?

PROBLEM: I added a new core, FB Alpha for Neo Geo. I followed these steps: A) Core Updater --> Added FB Alpha Neo Geo B) Then Update Databases and Update Core Info Files C) Finally Load Content à Select File And Detect Core and Add Content -->Scan directory. But when I push Load Core and i select Neo Geo (FBA Alpha), it doesn’t appear the icons at the end of the Xbar and I continue to see the icon of Snes’ joypad with its romlist. But now if i try to load a snes rom, retroarch creashes, probably because there is the neo geo core loaded… how can i solve this issue?

many thanks!

[QUOTE=legolas119;45068]4) If I want to create, for some emulators, different settings (video settings, joypad command mapping) from the standard setting that I will use, which is the right way? I read in this guide (http://www.powerup.io/gaming/emulators/retroarch, chapter Override, the 2 ways, Simple and Full, but it isn’t clear… So, for example, now I’m working on my first emulator, bsnes_accuracy. When I have finished I have to: a) create a new folder: config/bsnes_accuracy b) create a .cfg file in config/bsnes_accuracy/bsnes_accuracy.cfg. But how can I create it? probably I have to create it diretly from Retroarch, pushing SAVE NEW CONFIG? c) after that, when i load the snes emulator, Retroarch automatically detect its own config file or have I to load it manually (with the option LOAD CONFIGURATION)? d) is it necessary to activate the option Configuration --> Configuration per-core? By default it is OFF… [/QUOTE] All the normal BSNES cores just use bsnes for the override config folder and config file name. There’s a recent topic about finding out the name to use for each cores overrides here: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6548&page=2

It will auto load any settings you add to that config file if you have load overrides automatically on and configuration per-core off.

5.) It sounds like you’re using integer scaling, which keeps the scanlines from being inconsistently sized on CRT shaders but it leaves some black gaps at the top and bottom. It’s unfortunate but it’s necessary.

6.) I wouldn’t worry about the RGB thing. Just find a shader you like and go with that.

1. ok, currently i set CONFIGURATION PER CORE = Off and LOAD OVERRIDE FILE AUTOMATICALLY = ON and LOAD REMAP FILE AUTOMATICALLY = ON because I read that this is the easiest way to have multiple configurations for different emulator. So i think that in this case i haven’ t to create different .cfg files (with it’s own name) for different emulator. Probably i have to create only one Retroarch.cfg file that includes every update for the different emulators…or Am i wrong?

5)yes! now if I put Integer scaling = OFF, I can set up height = 1080! So, in order to emulate in a good way a crt with shader enabled, it is necessary to set Integer scaling = ON? in this case, which is the right value for Custom Viiewport Height? 1200?

1. OK!

Can you help me for the problem of neo geo? I continue to have same problem: i’m not able to load neo geo emulator. As you see in my picture, the core is loaded, but i continue to see SNES rom list…

http://it.tinypic.com/r/29c8mt0/9

thank you!

Yeah, retroarch.cfg has all your global settings, then anything in confg\corename\corename.cfg overrides those settings. You can just copy the settings you want different from retroarch.cfg, paste them into the core config file then change them there.

5.) you can use 1200, sure. It’ll have some of the image cropped off, but not much. Probably about as much as most old TVs cut off…

That picture is just showing your SNES playlist. Scanning for FBA ROMs can make a playlist of those ROMs (sometimes, it’s picky) but if the core is loaded, you should be able to ‘load content’ ‘from file’ and just navigate to the proper file.

thanks.

Currently i have configured only Super Nes emulator (bsnes_accuracy), with its shader and filter and in addition i re-mapped the joypad command in order to emulate correctly Super Nintendo controller and I have only the Retroarch.cfg file. I have CONFIGURATION PER CORE = Off and LOAD OVERRIDE FILE AUTOMATICALLY = ON and LOAD REMAP FILE AUTOMATICALLY = ON.

So:

1. if i want to configure a new emulator and all the settings are the same with the exception of controller command, is it necessary to create in any case a specific .cfg file (for example bnes.cfg for Nes Emulator) or can I avoid it saving only the controller mapping for that emulator?
  2. if I want to configure a new emulator and in this case some settings (for example shader) are different from Super Nintendo emulator, I need to create a new folder with its .cfg file (config/bnes/bnes.cfg). For create it, these are the right steps: A) first of all I create a backup copy of my Retroarch.cfg file (without Nes emulator setting configured) B) then i copy/past the configuration in a new file (config/bnes/bnes.cfg) and in this file i have to change manually the setting with Note Pad or Notepad++. Is it correct?
    It isn’t an easy way…because i have to search in the .cfg file the options that i want to change and i have to be sure that i write the right words in the file. It is a totally manual process :frowning:

Have I understood correctly?

many thanks

[QUOTE=hunterk;45222]5.) you can use 1200, sure. It’ll have some of the image cropped off, but not much. Probably about as much as most old TVs cut off…

That picture is just showing your SNES playlist. Scanning for FBA ROMs can make a playlist of those ROMs (sometimes, it’s picky) but if the core is loaded, you should be able to ‘load content’ ‘from file’ and just navigate to the proper file.[/QUOTE]

Ok, if i don’t want image cropped, i set Integer scaling = OFF, and I can set up height = 1080 and width = 1920. BUt in this case the crt emulation it is not perfect. Is it right?

For the other problem: yes, I push Load Content --> Select File And Detect Core and then Add Content -->Scan directory. [I]After that, it shows the 2 roms and the neogeo.zip bios. But I’m not able to see the Neo Geo emulator icon with its romlist in Xbar of Retroarch…I mean as the Super Nitendo emulator does (there is a joypad icon with the 3 roms in the list) I don’t know why :(. I’m not able to play with a different emulator now, i can only use Super Nes…

[/I]many thanks

Scanning directories is how you make a playlist (like you’ve done for SNES) but it can be picky with FBA ROMs because there are many revisions that won’t be recognized. For FBA, unless you’re sure you have exactly the right ROMs, it’s often easier just to skip creating a playlist and manually ‘load core’ and pick FBA, then ‘load content from file’ and pick the game you want to play.

The ‘detect core’ function is dependent on having all of the cores’ info files up-to-date and in the right location, so you might need to re-fetch them from the online-updater.

[QUOTE=legolas119;45251]1) if i want to configure a new emulator and all the settings are the same with the exception of controller command, is it necessary to create in any case a specific .cfg file (for example bnes.cfg for Nes Emulator) or can I avoid it saving only the controller mapping for that emulator? 2) if I want to configure a new emulator and in this case some settings (for example shader) are different from Super Nintendo emulator, I need to create a new folder with its .cfg file (config/bnes/bnes.cfg). For create it, these are the right steps: A) first of all I create a backup copy of my Retroarch.cfg file (without Nes emulator setting configured) B) then i copy/past the configuration in a new file (config/bnes/bnes.cfg) and in this file i have to change manually the setting with Note Pad or Notepad++. Is it correct?
It isn’t an easy way…because i have to search in the .cfg file the options that i want to change and i have to be sure that i write the right words in the file. It is a totally manual process :frowning:

Have I understood correctly?

many thanks[/QUOTE]

1. Yeah, you can just use the remap instead of an override config file to change your controller settings for that core.
  2. If you keep a backup copy of retroarch.cfg, you could do all the settings you want specific to that core in the menu, exit RetroArch so they’re saved, copy everything in retroarch.cfg to bsnes.cfg then restore the backup of retroarch.cfg. This is easier than hunting through retroarch.cfg for the specific options you want different, but if you ever change something in retroarch.cfg you want to affect all cores, you’ll also have to change that in bsnes.cfg since it contains all the settings, including the one you just changed. So it ends up being easier to maintain and much cleaner to just copy the few settings you want different into bsnes.cfg with a text editor. I usually use this link as a reference to find settings easier (with ctrl+f).