New sonkun crt guest advanced presets thread

I don’t know why they would want to have a twitch in there, but I just ported the code over 100% identically wherever possible.

4 Likes

I’m not sure why either. I’ve been trying forever to get rid of that twitch by just playing with the shader parameters but that got me nowhere until I finally decided to dig into the shader code itself and narrowed it down to that one number there. That twitch was so annoying but I finally got rid of it, would love it if users that use my shader pack won’t have to experience that effect going forward without having to go through shader coding.

@hunterk how long should I wait before I can update my slang shaders with that new mame ntsc coding tweak?

Edit: For anyone using my composite ntsc 2-phase presets please update your slang shaders, a long time issue has been resolved that you can read about a few posts above.

3 Likes

I want to put it in the slang folder and apply it, but it says ‘no item’, what should I do?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. You should also make sure your driver is set to vulkan as well. If by chance using vulkan gives you a black screen then use glcore.

Thanks, I’ll try changing to Vulkan

1 Like

New Version Release (01/13/2023)

Changes Made

• First update of the new year :partying_face:

• Retweaked scanline, filter, deconvergence and glow settings on all presets, both svideo and rgb presets are a little smoother looking and not as sharp as the previous release after turning both horizontal and vertical “glow sigma” up from .25 to .50.

• Changed the “Interlace Mode” from default 4.00 to 3.00, that setting smooths interlaced content out more especially on pixelated games like Marvel vs Capcom 2.

• Recently there was a issue with the composite ntsc 2-phase presets where the screen would “twitch” every few seconds, that was caused by a error in the “mame_ntsc” shader I was using for those presets. That issue has been fixed by @hunterk a few days ago. For the fix to take effect all you have to do is update your slang shaders.

You can grab the lateset pack in the first post.

8 Likes

Gave it a quick look, great update!

2 Likes

Great stuff fella!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I appreciate the love guys. Somehow I managed to make these presets even brighter than the last ones, I think everything came together nicely for the most part, was experimenting a bit here and there tweaking things. My ultimate goal is to get even thicker scanlines while keeping moire to a minimum without interger scaling, probably impossible to do but I think I get a little closer here and there lol

4 Likes

I’m new to this whole shaders, does updating simply means copying and overwriting the previous version?

2 Likes

Yes. Delete the old folder (or keep it if you want) and put the current one in. I hope you enjoy my presets, also take a look around the forum there’s a couple other guys here that also have some amazing looking shader presets that you can try out.

1 Like

So I was messing around and wanted to see what my presets looked like with an upscaler shader so I chose “xbrz-freescale” and this is the result. Here’s how my presets currently look:

Here’s after adding xbrz:

Could this be the potential evolution for the sonkun presets? I don’t know but it’s a nice little “what if” if anything. This also doesn’t upscale interlaced content either, I would probably have to use the scale fx shader instead to cover that ground.

Download the sample pack: https://www.mediafire.com/file/cq67gnuplyjjbso/sonkun-guest-hd-xbrz-freescale-rgb-test.zip/file

3 Likes

Personally, I really don’t like xbrz. Just look at the character selection screen in Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter: the diagonal lines of the grid are terrible.

Maybe it could be more suitable for 3D content, but for 3D content I think that the combo shader+supersampling is the ideal, if it doesn’t screw the scanlines.

1 Like

Hi Sonkun, first of all thank you for your work and contribution. I’m speaking as a noob, I don’t want to say wrong things, but I wanted to suggest you use the Super XBR, I tried it with the Super XBR GDV and the results, personally, are spectacular. Please give it a try, it’s not a bad idea in my opinion. Thank you with all my heart.

1 Like

@Fab yeah I see what you mean, it went from structured looking pixel blocks to some weird squiggly pixel line that looked like it was done in photoshop or something. I’m definitely against altering the pixels from their original look in anyway, if there’s an upscaler shader that can keep the pixels 1 for 1 and just “smooth” it out a bit I would probably be more for it.

@ROBMARK85 Thank you for showing support to my presets, I’ve seen you around the forum getting your feet wet in topics learning the ropes of these shaders and how to use them. I don’t think I’ve tried Super XBR yet but like I said up above it has to be a shader that keeps the pixels looking authentic and not change them up too much

Hi Sonkun, I’m trying to understand something about the “shaders” world and its mechanisms, driven by passion and necessity, since I’m looking for my “definitive solution” tailored on modest hardware (since I have a family, Computer funds have drastically decreased :smiley: ). I am admired by the ability, knowledge and professionalism that so many of you make available to us mere mortals with your advice and your work. My proposal was motivated by the fact that the Super XBR makes the edges of things more defined, and from what I have seen with the Super XBR CRT I have not seen huge pixel distortion. Of course, this is a layman’s opinion, and I could probably be fooled. However I follow your work and I keep an eye on you, I like it and I thank you for what you do. It’s just a pity that I don’t have a 4K to fully enjoy your presets, at 1080p the slotmasks are a bit “limited” due to the resolution. Thanks always for your work.

1 Like

I appreciate the kind words, I will also try out the Super XBR shader and report back with my findings with comparison pics, that mvsf pic will be a good example to use so I’ll use that character select screen to compare. I too am new in this field of upscaling shaders so I’m just experimenting with the different shaders available.

To tell you the truth I actually like how the slot mask looks more in 1080p than 4k, it looks more “grungy” and I like that look. One thing I like with the 4k version is that you can see the “blue” from the rgb pixels in its entirety so it looks more accurate, 1080p the “blue” isn’t as visible as the “red” and “green” but it’s there if you look.

2 Likes

I think then we enter the realm of personal taste and personal memory, since it’s been ages since I’ve seen a CRT in action firsthand, and I discovered that there were so many types of screens and technologies that it made me lose my mind. In any case, I am awaiting your new tests and am following you with great interest, and thanks again for what you do.

1 Like

I tried super xbr and got the same result as before so I ended up ditching that shader for scalefx, that seems to be the best upscaling shader I’ve seen so far as it tries to keep sprites close to their original look depending on how you tweak it.

Here’s my regular preset:

My preset with scalefx default settings:

Scalefx with the “scalefx threshold” parameter turned down to .25:

Scalefx with the “scalefx threshold” parameter turned down to .01:

Bringing that parameter down to .01 seems to try to keep the pixels in their regular form while smoothing out certain areas, guess it all comes down to a trade off of smoothness vs original pixels depending on how you tweak it.

Couple more examples.

My preset:

Scalefx default settings:

My preset:

Scalefx with the “scalefx threshold” parameter turned down to .14:

My preset:

Scalefx default settings:

Try it out right here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/re4cept51753lpk/sonkun-guest-hd-scalefx-rgb-test.zip/file

4 Likes

Hi Sonkun, what a show your work is, I’m liking what I see and trying it you convinced me and showed in the field how ScaleFX is a better interpolation system than the classic Super XBR, it has fewer artifacts and forcing, albeit heavier. Please also include ScaleFX in your presets because the result, especially for us who have 1080p as a resolution, is really, really beautiful. Heartfelt thanks for what you do and sorry for earlier, I’m Italian and help me with Google translate, I made a mistake in copying the answer and I reported it in my language. However with this touch you are perfect for me, if you include it as an alternative option personally you would make me happy.

1 Like