New sonkun crt guest advanced presets thread

• Mask 10: red-green-blue-black (RGBX)
  • Mask 11: red-yellow-magenta-blue (RYMB)
  • Mask 12: red-red-green-green-blue-blue-black (RRGGBBX)

Mask in it’s basic representation is a pattern of pixel weights, which repeats horizontally.

4 Likes

I know it has been posted before, but how about a mask list so I can get it on paper?

2 Likes

Thank you! Which one do you think is the best to use on a 1080p monitor?

3 Likes

Mask 6, classic RGB, for the best subpixel fidelity.

1 Like

Thank you I will try it. :+1:

1 Like

New Version Release (02/11/2023)

Changes Made

• Uses guests latest Version (2023-02-11-r1) shader update.

• Switched over from “crt-guest-advanced-hd” to the standard “crt-guest-advanced” shader to take full advantage of the newly added “magic glow” settings that has recently been added to the standard and ntsc guest shaders. (To take advantage of these new settings you must grab guest.r’s lateset shader pack which I will post in the first page). Thread title will no longer have “hd” in it.

• Introducing brand new “RF” ntsc 2-phase/3-phase cable type presets to the family bringing the total presets up from 32 to 48 to choose from. @ynnad4 you might like this part of the update, it’s noisy with that rainbow banding just how you like it lol.

Sample pics:

• Retweaked composite 2-phase presets swapping the previous rainbow banding/artifacts to the new rf presets, 2-phase composite presets now uses the standard 2-phase effects found in shaders such as “crt-guest-advanced-ntsc” or “ntsc-adaptive” shader. For previous composite ntsc 2-phase rainbow banding effects go into the parameters and change both “A Value” and “B Value” to 0.00.

• Retweaked scanline settings to give a courser mask to the Slot Mask along with slightly thicker scanlines. Also now uses the new “mask gamma” setting to display a slightly sharper mask overall.

• Changed Slot Mask Height setting from 4 to 3 in 4k presets, also defaulted both “scanline saturation/ mask falloff” and “scanline falloff” settings to their original values giving the overall image a better look. 4k presets now look GLORIOUS.

• Switched up the order of presets in the list. Previously it was neutral, j, u then pal. Now it’s neutral, u, j then pal to follow the same order as how it’s listed in the shader parameters under the “Phosphor” settings.

To sum everything up basically we’re going from this (previous shader pack settings):

to this:

Grab the new pack in the first post.

6 Likes

love the use of magic glow also love the rf presets

3 Likes

It seems that the s-video presets don’t work, only those though.

1 Like

Magic glow is amazing isn’t it? It almost feels like a “backlight” has been added to my tv in shader form and I feel like I still haven’t tapped into its full potential yet with this new glow. I just liked what I saw with the tweaks I used so I just ran with it. And yes RF was the surprise I was holding on to, truth is I got inspiration from @kokoko3k when he released his “rf” preset. I also realized RF hardly gets any love plus it’s only right to have it included if I’m gonna have the other connections there.

@Fab are you getting an error? I just checked to make sure I changed all the locations of the svideo presets so that they load up from the sonkun folder and that looks correct. Did you also update your slang shaders?

Does svideo load up for the rest of you guys?

2 Likes

Wonderful work !!! Thanks Thanks Thanks !!!

1 Like

I’m glad you’re liking it. Yeah I think this update is one of my best ones yet, I like how it came out. I was thinking of adding in another composite ntsc 2-phase preset that would have the previous rainbow effects so that there would be two types of artifacting presets to choose from, I don’t know. Maybe if users say they miss the old rainbow composite look I’ll bring it back upon request.

I also had you in my thoughts putting this pack together, I originally planned to include a bonus “scalefx” preset folder with scalefx added to all presets, I got rgb presets done but then I got to svideo and I started running into issues like the dithering effect from “sgenpt-mix” not working properly. I’m sure there’s a way to get it all working together but I just wasn’t in the mood to go through all the tweaking to get it right. Maybe I’ll come back to it another time.

By the way everyone I did a small edit to my pack, a user reported that some files had “slang.p” twice at the end so I went and cleaned it up and reposted a new link for quality of life purposes. If the presets has been working for you then it’s optional if you want to re download it again but it’s there.

2 Likes

Thank you ! It would be great to have this bonus in your shader pack. However, the care and beauty of your work is really excellent: thank you!

2 Likes

Youre welcome. Yeah that bonus folder would’ve been the cherry on top, I’ll come around to it eventually and thank you for the kind words, tweaking these shaders became a passion project.

2 Likes

Hello there, new to these shaders, always played retro gaming and buying tons of games, however i’m of 97 and never had a crt when i was young so i don’t know how one really feels. However i just tried your whole set of shaders in the latest updated and i particularly like the 18-crt-guest-advanced-hd-slotmask-pal-warm-rgb.slangp one, so thank you so much.

I noticed you didn’t use smooth shaders as a base to create those kinds, will you in the future consider also smooth technique like the guest shaders?

1 Like

Hello there and welcome to the forum. You said “18” “hd” preset? Which pack are you using? I recently abandoned hd presets for the standard guest shader in my latest update which you can grab on the first page. If you think those presets look good you’re gonna love my latest pack.

When you say “smooth” do you mean like upscaled? That was originally planned to be put in as a bonus folder using the “scalefx” shader but I ended up scrapping the idea in the last minute.

Hey, the recent updates look good. I am happy to see the RF signal/cable types. Looking forward to try them out soon.

2 Likes

There goes my guy, yo what’s up man hope everything has been good with you. Thank you I think this release is one of my best ones yet. I was curious to see if anyone would have said anything about me switching up the composite 2-phase artifacting/rainbow effects that I moved over to the rf presets but it seems like everyone is cool with the change since no one said anything so far.

1 Like

Thx I am fine. I also read in the thread from guest about the new magic glow changes too (which you mentioned here and discussed). Need to read a bit and dig into to understand what all this new stuff is (new to me). I will sure report my opinion about them too.

1 Like

Yeah magic glow is based on “magic bloom” from ReShade I believe. I’ve always heard about it but never used it, now I see what the hype is about.

1 Like

They share the word “magic”, lol. :grin:

1 Like