New sonkun crt guest advanced presets thread

For 2-phase (standard) there’s no settings to change any ntsc related settings, it comes preloaded the way it looks. That preset uses the “ntsc-320px-composite” shader which can be found in the ntsc shader folder. It’s pretty much the old original version of guest.r’s ntsc shader but without any customizable settings.

My plan at first was to just use guest.r’s ntsc shader but I wasn’t liking how the 3-phase part of the shader was looking for me no matter how many different ways I tweaked it so that’s how 3-phase ended up using a completely different ntsc shader.

Speaking of 3-phase you can change some ntsc settings there, if you want less artifacts turn down the “Composite Artifact” setting, I also suggest tweaking the “Composite Sharp” settings as well afterwards if you don’t want the picture to look to sharp.

I thought you using Dogway Shaders for composite in both cases

so in that case I think someone need to make composite shader without artifacts (Rainbow & Dot Crawl) or maybe update existing ones with options to do so

1 Like

Yes I use the Grade shader for all of my presets, Grade is more of a color managing shader, I think there’s a few settings there that deal with composite but U don’t think it would give you the look you want, those ntsc effects are all due to the other shaderI mentioned up above.

If someone/you wants to tweak my presets to get that effect you want I don’t mind at all, I personally like all the artifacts that’s why I put them out the way it is. Easiest way would probably be to swap in the guest ntsc shader and replace the existing 2 ntsc shader passes that I’m currently using in the 2-phase preset shader chain.

what about https://github.com/Dogway/emulation-random/blob/master/RetroArch/Shaders/ntsc-signal-bandwidth.slang ?

I’ve never used this shader before what folder do you find this in? Don’t think it’s in the ntsc shader folder.

seems it’s not in retroarch yet, here the discussion NTSC shader discussion

1 Like

Oh that’s all the way from 2020, I didn’t go through the whole topic but yeah I’ve never come across that shader. Besides that then swapping out those two 2-phase shader passes in my 2-phase preset and putting in the guest ntsc shader would probably give you what you want since you’d then have all the ntsc settings to tweak.

1 Like

Will the preset work with the latest guest r?

1 Like

Yes. I tested it out already and actually switched over to his latest version for my presets, his update doesn’t affect anything at all.

3 Likes

just searched guest account here maybe you should remove this line if you removed the guest crt shader link (In some cases you will also have to download guest.r’s latest shader pack as well as sometimes new features get added that I may take advantage of that are not yet available upstream by just updating your slang shaders. I’ll always include a link to get it under my shader pack download if needed to do so).

1 Like

I was going to ask why but I see this relates to what’s going on in the Discord app. I’ll be over there to help out now.

it started there but now that line is confusing for people download latest guest shader but from where

I’m not sure how it’s confusing when I Included words such as “In some cases” and “if needed to do so” all in parenthesis at that.

then add the link back because if something goes wrong people can get it from the source

1 Like

Yeah I may have to do that, glad we were able to help resolve their issue. Tell you what since her case seems to be the only one of its kind so far, if another situation like that user pops up again I’ll just add the link back. You said those two guest slang files (gaussian I believe?) don’t download into the guest hd folder no matter how many times you update your slang shaders, I don’t know if it’s a bug like you said but maybe @guest.r will see this and possibly take a look into the matter. Everything works on my end simply by updating my slang shaders but that doesn’t seem to be the case for you.

it is a odd bug that happens sometimes this time i was not the victim but someone other

1 Like

Is it still working with the latest guest r?

1 Like

Yes it does. His latest shader has been pushed upstream as well so there’s no need to manually download his latest pack, you can now simply update your slang shaders through RetroArch and my pack should work with it.

2 Likes

Just updated my pack with guest.r’s latest shader update so for anyone using my preset pack you can update to his latest shader update (version 2023-07-11-r1) with no issues.

3 Likes

I’m in a purist mood, so I’m trying out these shaders. They’re pretty good, though I wonder why the S-Video presets doesn’t seem to use any kind of NTSC shader. Isn’t that how S-Video is typically represented, being a NTSC signal? Curious as to your reasoning (or if I’m misunderstanding S-Video)

1 Like