New sonkun crt guest advanced hd presets thread

Yeah, it works a bit differently, the idea is also to dissolve the mask on very bright colors without clipping them too much, which is a problem for ordinary bloom at full mask strength. But ordinary bloom is still quite fine.

Edit: i guess i can fix this too.

1 Like

I see and ok cool. I guess I’ll wait for your next update to try it out again.

1 Like

Yes, “Inverse Gamma” might sound a bit confusing as reverting a gamma (aka linearization), so probably the term “inverted gamma” might fit better. Basically it’s like a gamma/pow function inverted in the x and y plane, in grade the most similar thing is the (Digital) “brightness” control, it’s not exactly the same as that one is a rolled-off gain, whereas in my zfast-crt shader it’s indeed an inverted gamma. It’s only meant to compensate for the scanline+mask gamma so it has no place within grade.

You can see the difference here: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/9qijf9ppoj

2 Likes

Testing out guest.r’s latest shader update with all the new features:

Normal:

Warm:

Cool:

Try out the sample pack here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/b7ed280cp6o8jif/sonkun-guest-advanced-new-grade-slotmask-samples-8-12-2023.zip/file

This pack works strictly with guest.r’s latest shader update so please grab that first before trying out the samples.

Place presets directly into your “shaders” folder.

@guest.r I’m digging that new “fine bloom/halation sampling” setting, it gives a nice finishing touch smoothing the overall image out which is what my rgb presets been needing, very sexy update you unleashed on us. Thank you once again for the best shader ever.

I also went a different route this time, lowered the scanline saturation setting to ease some of that saturation off the image a bit.

6 Likes

this was the solution many thanks!

2 Likes

Testing out guest.r’s latest shader update with the new “Clip Saturated Color Beams” setting:

Normal:

Warm:

Cool:

Sample pack download:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/gxu59xwo9hfj4hw/sonkun-guest-advanced-new-grade-slotmask-samples-8-17-2023.zip/file

This pack works strictly with guest.r’s latest shader update so please grab that first before trying out the samples.

4 Likes

Cool Color Beams

NO Color Beams

1 Like

we really notice the change on the lines the blue is the red too

1 Like

Wow I didn’t really get a chance to test out multiple games with the new feature but man what a setting guest has unleashed upon us. I’ll do some more testing later on when I get home, thank you for the screenshots.

1 Like

TESTNew Release Version (2023-08-19-r1):

3 Likes

It always takes screen shots from another user to see how my presets look from a different point of view so I really appreciate when you and others do this.

I’ll more than likely have a new sample pack up in a few hours when I get home that you can try out. Off the top from what I remember tweaking is that I raised the “scanline saturation” setting from default 0.50 to 1.00 since guest.r recommended raising that for the new clipping setting. I think I also lowered the new clipping setting from 0.05 down to 0.03. That helped in reducing that slight artifact look it produced in those screen shots I posted the other day. I’m still trying to figure out how to get rid of it completely, it might be some setting in grade that’s causing the issue, not sure yet.

1 Like

Testing out guest.r’s latest shader update (version 2023-08-19-r1)

Normal:

Warm:

Cool:

Sample pack download:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/mmewnkvyx5ixkeq/sonkun-guest-advanced-new-grade-slotmask-samples-8-20-2023.zip/file

3 Likes

WARM

COOL NORMAL

3 Likes

Nice. I ended up leaving the “saturated scanline” setting on default in the end. Something about that new “clip saturated color beams” setting got my preset reminding me of the “xm29” shader preset in the presets folder kind of, my “normal” preset at least.

At this point I’m not sure where I should take things from here, if I should stick with this look here or continue tweaking. It seems guest.r is done adding in new features to his shader as well at the moment.

2 Likes

xm29

4 Likes

New Release Version (2023-08-21-r1) :grin:

COOL

NORMAL WARM

1 Like

Testing out guest.r’s latest shader update version (2023-08-21-r1). Tweaked a few things from the last post, may end up sticking with this look here.

Normal:

Warm:

Cool:

Sample pack download:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/j11ec0g65o77zhd/sonkun-guest-advanced-new-grade-slotmask-rgb-samples-8-22-2023.zip/file

@guest.r I ended up coming up with a little “trick” to help reduce that added “moire” pattern that the new color beam setting produces, I’m assuming that this is a special case involving my presets alone since no one else seems to be having this issue. I also assume some setting in grade is conflicting with your shader and is helping to produce that effect but anyway.

I went back to lowering the saturation scanline setting to 0, raised the scanline shape bright pixels to 3.00 and also lowered both the dark and bright “bright boost pixels” settings to 1.00, all of that helped reduce the issue. If I left things as is from my last pack that moire like pattern was looking especially nasty in all shoot em up games that used a 3:4 aspect ratio.

4 Likes

hello super better than the previous one I confirm we finally notice the difference between cool and normal a big preference for normal

2 Likes

Thank you. Besides what I’ve mentioned that I changed in the above post I also changed the white point from 7200k to 7500k for the normal preset which according to Dogway is the maximum standard white point crts used. Gives a slight but noticeable difference to the overall image. Basically anything between 7000k to 7500k white point is where you’d want to be.

Found myself using the normal preset a lot lately, I usually would just stick to cool.

2 Likes

the project is going quite nice

3 Likes