New sonkun crt guest advanced hd presets thread

Cool Color Beams

NO Color Beams

1 Like

we really notice the change on the lines the blue is the red too

1 Like

Wow I didn’t really get a chance to test out multiple games with the new feature but man what a setting guest has unleashed upon us. I’ll do some more testing later on when I get home, thank you for the screenshots.

1 Like

TESTNew Release Version (2023-08-19-r1):

3 Likes

It always takes screen shots from another user to see how my presets look from a different point of view so I really appreciate when you and others do this.

I’ll more than likely have a new sample pack up in a few hours when I get home that you can try out. Off the top from what I remember tweaking is that I raised the “scanline saturation” setting from default 0.50 to 1.00 since guest.r recommended raising that for the new clipping setting. I think I also lowered the new clipping setting from 0.05 down to 0.03. That helped in reducing that slight artifact look it produced in those screen shots I posted the other day. I’m still trying to figure out how to get rid of it completely, it might be some setting in grade that’s causing the issue, not sure yet.

1 Like

Testing out guest.r’s latest shader update (version 2023-08-19-r1)

Normal:

Warm:

Cool:

Sample pack download:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/mmewnkvyx5ixkeq/sonkun-guest-advanced-new-grade-slotmask-samples-8-20-2023.zip/file

This pack works strictly with guest.r’s latest shader update so please grab that first before trying out the samples.

Place presets directly into your “shaders” folder.

3 Likes

WARM

COOL NORMAL

3 Likes

Nice. I ended up leaving the “saturated scanline” setting on default in the end. Something about that new “clip saturated color beams” setting got my preset reminding me of the “xm29” shader preset in the presets folder kind of, my “normal” preset at least.

At this point I’m not sure where I should take things from here, if I should stick with this look here or continue tweaking. It seems guest.r is done adding in new features to his shader as well at the moment.

2 Likes

xm29

4 Likes

New Release Version (2023-08-21-r1) :grin:

COOL

NORMAL WARM

1 Like

Testing out guest.r’s latest shader update version (2023-08-21-r1). Tweaked a few things from the last post, may end up sticking with this look here.

Normal:

Warm:

Cool:

Sample pack download:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/j11ec0g65o77zhd/sonkun-guest-advanced-new-grade-slotmask-rgb-samples-8-22-2023.zip/file

Place presets directly into your “shaders” folder.

@guest.r I ended up coming up with a little “trick” to help reduce that added “moire” pattern that the new color beam setting produces, I’m assuming that this is a special case involving my presets alone since no one else seems to be having this issue. I also assume some setting in grade is conflicting with your shader and is helping to produce that effect but anyway.

I went back to lowering the saturation scanline setting to 0, raised the scanline shape bright pixels to 3.00 and also lowered both the dark and bright “bright boost pixels” settings to 1.00, all of that helped reduce the issue. If I left things as is from my last pack that moire like pattern was looking especially nasty in all shoot em up games that used a 3:4 aspect ratio.

4 Likes

hello super better than the previous one I confirm we finally notice the difference between cool and normal a big preference for normal

2 Likes

Thank you. Besides what I’ve mentioned that I changed in the above post I also changed the white point from 7200k to 7500k for the normal preset which according to Dogway is the maximum standard white point crts used. Gives a slight but noticeable difference to the overall image. Basically anything between 7000k to 7500k white point is where you’d want to be.

Found myself using the normal preset a lot lately, I usually would just stick to cool.

2 Likes

the project is going quite nice

3 Likes

I appreciate it guys. Maybe I should start working on aperture grille and shadow mask presets now.

5 Likes

Thank you for all your hard work, @sonkun! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: (and @guest.r too!)

Can’t wait to try these shaders today.

Which are the best presets to replicate a PAL TV, RF cable connection, in your opinion?

Thanks again and keep it up, you’re doing a work of art for the whole retrogaming community!

4 Likes

You’re welcome and thank you for the kind words.

If you’re talking about the pack I just posted up above so far those are just RGB types for the standard US TV that I’m working on for my next official update. I was posting up sample packs finding a new look that I want to stick with. I think I found it and now I’m working on aperture grille types and then shadow mask etc. Just going one by one as I go along this time around.

If you’re talking about the current pack available on the first page you’ll find different types labeled specifically for what you’re looking for such as “rf”, “pal”.

Thank you as well. I hope this next pack is better than the current one, I think it will be. I went back and loaded up one of my old presets and couldn’t believe how extra saturated it looked, don’t know how I put that out there lol. But yeah you should try out the sample pack above, that’s the new look I’m more or less aiming for.

3 Likes

I did a test with many of your parameters I tried to create something I specify I am a novice I really don’t know anything about it

6 Likes

Wow look at all that sexiness, you did an amazing job here. I like how you cranked up the glow sigma to give the overall image that hazy glowy look, good stuff man.

I’m still in the lab as well kind of stepped away a bit but I got an aperture grille preset that’s 90 percent ready to go. Also had a shadow mask preset but ended up scrapping it and started over again. Biggest issue all around is matching the brightness levels across all three masks so that one preset doesn’t look brighter or darker than the other. Also shadow mask presets changes the overall picture in color by default so im tweaking it in a way to match the other two mask presets which look identical in look/color. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a new sample pack uploaded for you to try out with all three mask types included before the weekend is over.

On another note hey @hunterk I recently downloaded a nightly RetroArch and I see it’s on the next version. What also came with it seems to be a new feature that resets my placement in the settings menu back to the top of any setting list every time I exit and re enter the menu. That became annoying fast especially when I’m tweaking shader settings going in and out the menu constantly just to have to scroll all the way back down to return to a setting I was on previously. Is there a setting to return it to how it was where my placement anywhere in the menu doesn’t change when exiting and re entering menu settings?

5 Likes

Hi awesome pics. Do you think you could share your settings? Thanks Regards