SOS Neo GEO CD + Mess2014 Core SETUP

[I][B]Hello could someone explain how to use Neo Geo CD Retroarch?

Thank you![/B][/I]

Iā€™m also interested in this setup, I currently have NEO GEO CD emulated via MESS directly, using Hyperspin and Rocket Launcher, NEO GEO CD is basically the only retro system left to be emulated via Retroarch here, except PSP, GC and PS2, Wii and some arcade games.

In Mess, itā€™s not that hard to make NEO GEO CD work, could it have a similar structure via Retroarch/Mess core?

Stand alone Mess is the best way to do it that I have found because you have the option to fast forward through the Neo Geo CD long ass load times. Stand alone FBA will do it as well but not fast forward feature, the Retroarch FBA core does not support the Neo Geo CD. I have read that Raine supports it as well but I have not tried to set it up, not a fan of Raine personally.

Yeah, Im using MESS currently and it works great, theres also the fast forward feature, which is a must for NEO GEO CD games, I remember emulating NEO GEO CD in PSP, using a specific emulator for this system, it had the option to totally cut the loading if you wanted to. One of the worst things about using MESS, is that it takes more time to load a game than RA does, it has much less video options, and some minor tweaks we are used to in RA. I hope we`ll have a dedicated core for NEO GEO CD soon, that could have options that Raine does, that is, not exactly fast forwarding the loading times, but speeding up it, multiplying the loading in 8x, 16x, and 32x, so we can at least take a look at the nice artwork during the short load screens.

I have had success with MESS systems with both the latest MAME core or MESS2014. You can use MAME provided the MAME version is higher than 0.162, which is when MAME and MESS merged. Using the latest MAME core usually works. You can also use MESS2014, but that core isnā€™t available for all systems. Hereā€™s the steps to get it to work:

1. Get the core MAME (latest) or MESS2014
  2. Create the folder ā€˜mame/hashā€™ or ā€˜mess2014/hashā€™ in your retroarch bios/system directory
  3. Download the hash file for your system of interest and put it in the hash folder. In this case, your looking for neocd. Hash files can be found here: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/tree/master/hash

I find itā€™s easier just to get all the hash files if your interested in more than one system, to help I zipped up all the hash files from github as of today (Nov 10, 2016). You can get it here.

1. Create a folder in your roms directory that matches exactly the name that MAME / MESS is looking for from the hash file. This is tricky sometimes because the folder name isnā€™t always what you think it should be. In the case of Neo CD for example, the folder should be named ā€˜neocdzā€™. Hereā€™s a good list Iā€™ve started: [ul] [li]Apple 2GS: Name the folder ā€˜apple2gsā€™[/li][li]CDi: Name the folder ā€˜cdimonoā€™[/li][li]ColecoVision: Name the folder ā€˜colecoā€™[/li][li]Commodore 64: Name the folder ā€˜c64ā€™[/li][li]NeoGeo CD: Name the folder ā€˜neocdzā€™[/li][li]PC98: Name the folder ā€˜pc9821ā€™[/li][li]Sharp X1: Name the folder ā€˜x1ā€™[/li][li]Sony x68000: Name the folder ā€˜x68000ā€™[/li][/ul]

Letā€™s say your folder path to roms is ā€˜/HOME/ROMS/MAME/neocdz/ā€™

1. Put your rom files in the folder ā€˜/HOME/ROMS/MAME/neocdz/ā€™, including the bios file(s). For example, the neocd game ā€œ2020 Super Baseball (Jpn, USA)ā€, I have the following files: 2020bb.zip (software name file) 2020 super baseball (1995)(snk)(jp-us)[!].chd (disk name file) neocd.zip (bios file) neocdz.zip (bios file) neogeo.zip (bios file)

The non-bios files required for each game are listed in the hash file and they need to be the exact filename. Recommend just using a MAME ā€˜setā€™ to avoid issues with filenames and to ensure the content in zipfiles is correct. For the bios files, I couldnā€™t find a good reference for which files are absolutely required. This is the best reference I could find. For the neocdz example above, I donā€™t actually think every one of those bios files are required, but it canā€™t hurt to have them since its only 3 files :wink:

1. Start your game by selecting the software name file 2020bb.zip

Enjoy!

Iā€™ll try that in a few minutes, if it works, it should be stickied!

It worked man, I had some trouble here and there, but, following strictly all steps you mention here, we can make mess emulate NEO GEO CD using MAME/MESS core in Retroarch, probably other systems too. I think your tutorial should be stickied.

It works for all the systems Iā€™ve listed! Iā€™m sure it works for others, I just havenā€™t tried them yet.

Hereā€™s a list of all the systems MAME/MESS emulates: http://www.progettoemma.net/mess/sysset.php

The green and yellow dots list the ones that are actually playable.

Yeah, thatā€™s really nice, I managed to load CHDs directly, without the need for the zip rom files now, using ā€œBoot From CLIā€ and turning off setlist and auto setlist, also changing from ā€œromā€ to ā€œcdrmā€ option, using Rocket Launcher, I can now launch games using the CHD, the only zip files I have in the neocdz rom folder are the bios files.

The good news, is that, emulating all systems via Retroarch is always the best option, as far as my experience can tell, and I also saved almost 30 GB, as my old NEO GEO CD set was in img+sub files, the CHD compressed then a lot. The bad news is that it doesnā€™t seem to save my custom bindings.

I use mame core to emulate other arcade systems, and it creates a sub folder called mame/cfg, and it stores all its configs there, custom bindings, etc., but it doesnā€™t create any sub folder inside my neocdz folder, I tried just copying mame/cfg folders down to neocdz folder, but it doesnā€™t seem to work, I even tried naming it mess. Maybe itā€™s because Iā€™m loading the CHD files directly, instead of a zip, and it depends on the zip file to create a cfg, that I donā€™t know.

So, Iā€™m kinda stuck here regarding the bindings, I can change in game controls, using the game options, but I canā€™t get rid of the Soft Reset, Show FPS, etc., and I canā€™t use fast forward, actually, I can, but when I close the game, I have to do it all over again.

Any suggestions?

I think you can bind a MAME config to every ā€˜software listā€™ filename (2020bb in my example). Per this thread, the config files go in your save directory. Iā€™m not super familiar with ini files. According to the MAME website, you can create configs on a per system basis as well.

You donā€™t need the zip rom file, but theyā€™re typically part of the set, so why not have them? The other option I have found works, is you can make a dummy / empty file with the same name (just an empty text file, then rename to 2020bb.zip) and that also works if you want to save a little space.

I understand youā€™re using Rocketlauncher, but if you really want to save space, take a look at my Kodi addon:

Brilliant, making use of the save folder I could now keep all my custom bindings, and other configs, I can fast forward the long loading times to match the cartridge loads, and have all the nice CD tracks and extras that only the CD versions have. While I can also have all the benefits of emulating it through Retroarch. Thatā€™s the picture I had in mind, and I thank you a lot for all your support.

As for your Kodi addon, it looks really nice, Iā€™ll take a look at it. And about saving space, itā€™s really nice that I can save space, like compressing isos here and there, itā€™s an extra, but not vital for now, and saving almost 30 Gigabytes keeping the whole set intact, is a nice feat indeed.

I think your guide to emulate systems via MAME/MESS core should be stickied, I believe thereā€™s a lot of people here that tried and left it aside.

This was confusing, but a good read. MESS is the last core standing in the way of complete and total RetroArch domination (outside of post DC systems anyway). Personally I refuse to use a stand-alone if RA supports something. The universal hotkeys alone make it worth the effort. Particularly if you have a setup that doesnā€™t encourage keyboard use.

That all being said a simple, straight-forward tutorial for the MESS core should without a doubt be stickied. This core is a whole different beast compared to every other one Iā€™ve played with. (I donā€™t touch MAME, itā€™s evil.).

Even looking at this though, itā€™s confusing. I donā€™t understand the ā€œhashā€ info or the CHD/zip structure going on. All the games Iā€™m trying to use with MESS are .a52, .col, .int, etc or in the case of Neo Geo CDā€¦ Bin/Cue.

Then thereā€™s the whole saving thingā€¦ we need to save controls per game on this core?

This is all very confusing.

Hey Sky, I only use MESS to emulate NEO GEO CD, since I donā€™t emulate Atari 5200, etc. I totally agree with you, if Retroarch supports a system, I never use the standalone, the only exception for now is PPSSPP that wasnā€™t updated for over a year as far as I know, and the standalone emulator is really easy to setup, some games have their own configs, etc. Back on track, I managed to emulate NEO GEO CD the way I wanted to, following zachmorris, this guy was the only one that seems to have had success using MESS core, he stated that the proceedings to emulate other systems are similar as the NEO GEO CD one.

Read and follow carefully his first post, then follow the next posts where I asked somethings and he answered. Even the rom name folder matters, for instance, my NEO GEO CD rom folder is called NEOCDZ, and it does load the isos in CHD format, so I even saved almost 50% the set takes, but it loads img+cue/ccd as well. MESS is a bit tricky, but then, you notice that most of its challenge is to put stuff in the right place with the right naming.

Iā€™m intimately familiar with making MESS inside of retroarch work for all the systems I listed, as theyā€™re included in my Kodi addon (IARL) where I try to automate launching the game. Iā€™d be happy to try to expound on the explanation I gave for a sticky guide. Iā€™d be happy to even try other systems that MESS supports. I tried to cover the systems Retroarch doesnā€™t have a core for and are reasonably popular. I agree, MESS is messy.

Specific to SkyHighGam3rā€™s questions: The files you have with .a52, .col, etc extensions are not going to work with MESS. You need to use the romset MAME/MESS is looking for. The files are required are zip and/or chd files and for each game, the hash database lists the files required.

I was trying to follow the instructions listed here, trying to get Crossed Swords 2 to work, but for some reason whenever I try to load it (Iā€™m using the newest MAME core, the one without a year attached to it, and I put all the hash files into a folder mame/hash) but all I get is a black screen. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Works for me if I load a zip file, but I got the same black screen if I tried to load the chd directly. My rom folder looks like this: roms (folder)

• neocdz (folder) ā€“ neocd.zip ā€“ neocdz.zip ā€“ neogeo.zip ā€“ crossed swords ii (1995)(adk)(jp)[!].chd ā€“ crsword2.zip

Hereā€™s the command line command I sent to run the game (simplifying the paths): ā€œPATH_TO_RETROARCH/RetroArchā€ -L ā€œPATH_TO_CORES/cores/mame_libretro.dylibā€ ā€œPATH_TO_ROMS/neocdz/crsword2.zipā€ -verbose

Alternatively, you can just select ā€œload file and detect coreā€ and choose crsword2.zip from the retroarch GUI.

Interesting note on this one, my romset did not include crsword2.zip. I created an empty file named ā€œcrsword2.zipā€ and it worked. The loading of chd files directly seems to be hit and miss, but it works every time if I use a zip file with the correct name (maybe thats a bug? Iā€™m not sure)

So does the crossed swords ii file need to be a .chd? For some reason the one I have is a .zip file. I loaded it up using the ā€œload and detectā€ core option and the MAME (no year) core and it seems to be perpetually stuck on the ā€œinitializingā€ screen.

You need all the files listed in the neocdz folder, including the chd and the zip. Launch the game with the zip.

• neocdz (folder) ā€“ neocd.zip ā€“ neocdz.zip ā€“ neogeo.zip ā€“ crossed swords ii (1995)(adk)(jp)[!].chd ā€“ crsword2.zip (This can be an empty file)

Hereā€™s a current pic of what my folder looks like

A couple things that may or may not be affecting my issue. I called my roms folder ā€œGamesā€ instead of ā€œroms.ā€ Not sure if the naming convention is screwing anything up, but I put it as a subdirectory of J:\Retroarch. I put the hash files in /system/mame/hash. The game filed I grabbed has the same name as the file you mentioned, but it was a .zip instead of a .chd. I made a backup and changed the extension to .chd, but that didnā€™t seem to help either. When I try loading crsword2.zip using the MAME core, all I get is the ā€œInitializingā€ MAME screen. Not sure exactly what Iā€™m doing wrong, Iā€™m guessing a wrong file name, folder or placement, but Iā€™m not sure if the zip/chd file Iā€™m using is correct either. Worse comes to worse, I can run the game in Neoraine, but Iā€™m trying to get everything in my little retroarch family :slight_smile:

Yeah, that folder and file structure looks right. So long as you put the hash file neocd.xml into your system/mame/hash folder, it should work. The only other things to try are:

• Try retroarch_debug.exe to see what error you get
  • Update the mame core, or maybe try mess2014 (which would require you put the hash file into system/mess2014/hash folder)
  • Ensure your chd file is correct. The hash xml file has the sha for the chd file. Iā€™m guessing this is your real problem. The chd file linked in IARL that does work is 212 MB in size.

OK thatā€™s my problem then, Iā€™ll have to try and find the correct CHD file. The one I have, which is the renamed zip/cue file from the Neo CD version is like 432 MB. Thanks for your help :slight_smile: