SOS Neo GEO CD + Mess2014 Core SETUP

Probably, but it`s really easy to convert, once you open it, go to >file>new project>in the drop down menu, choose “Create a CD CHD from input file”>choose your img file, it must be in a supported format>choose the output file, then click in the cogs icon, it should convert/compress your NEO GEO CD image to CHD if it’s in a supported format.

when choosing the image file, do we choose the main bin or the cue sheet?

I’ve never tried converting bin/cue to chd, so I can’t comment on whether the files will be recognized by MAME/MESS. I will say if you google “neo cd chd” you should be able to find an archive that your looking for.

that question was to aorin1. Just needed confirmation for his step in ‘choosing the img file’.

Not sure what I’m doing wrong, but every time I try, I get a “Failed to start” Error.

i see in the program, must load cue file. K, got that. Now I’m getting the error that ZForceFFC is getting.

Edit, oh I see. When the program comes on, that first box with the exclamation point, point it to the chdman.exe in your standalone mame folder. Then hit apply. Error will be gone.

But yeah, now i’m running into all of the problems on the previous page so…

Yeah I’m not exactly sure which file I should be using for the conversion.

What files your NEO GEO CD set is composed of? I remember I had them in img,cue,bin,ccd, I probably chose the cue file to compile the CHD, or IMG, I’m sorry if I’m not giving more details, it’s because my short memory is like a RAM memory, once it’s replaced by a newer information, the older ones goes into oblivion.

Anyway, try putting the drop-down window to show all files, even if img is not supported, try that.

OK I finally got a hold of the proper CHD sets, and was finally able to launch Crossed Swords 2. I then decided to also try and get Ironclad and Zintrick to work. I created empty zip files according to the filename the hash file said, and tried running them, now not only does launching either of those make Retroarch crash, but now Crossed Swords 2 also crashes. I am not really sure what I might have done to cause them all to stop working properly.

You don’t need empty zip files to make NEO GEO CD games to run in MAME/MESS core, I only have CHD files, and three NEO GEO CD/NEO GEO AES bios in my CHDs folder

Make sure you have In Media Type - set Cdrm, this options is available in MAME/MESS core once you load a game, go to quick menu/options.

Your bioses should have the following files:

neocd.zip - 210kb neocdz.zip - 209kb neogeo.zip - 1,556 kb

Also make sure your CHDs are inside a folder named NEOCDZ.

Following these steps and the first posts, you’ll manage to make NEO GEO CD games work fine in Retroarch.

OK I got it, I was trying to run in MAME 2014 which was crashing, instead of regular MAME. I think I got them mixed up at some point along with MESS 2014. Thanks everyone for your assistance :slight_smile: Is it better to use one core vs the other for NGCD games in everyone’s general experience?

I just use the regular MAME core for NEO GEO CD games and MAME in general.

I got this running in android

Maybe a question for the libretro folks: Would it be possible to hardcode the ‘popular’ machine types into a mame / mess core, similar to fbalpha2012_neogeo?

It would be beneficial if there were additional cores like mess2014_coleco, mame_neogeocdz, mess2014_a800, etc. That would hard code the hash, force the machine type so roms could be in whatever folder the user wanted, and generally make it easier for a user to see which core would launch their game correctly. Thoughts?

Honestly it s a huge work and then we have to create toon of system.mak file. And deal with many new rules to add to builbot. For my opinion it is too much works for the result. That said , users can achieve it on their own. You can lookat the tiny.mak (need also to tweak makefile to add rule for it). Actually wirh mame2014 core if you build with SUBTARGET=tiny you will add at the end a mame core with only some drivers(the tiny one+cps1+cps2+neogeo) in a max 20mo core file. I done it for emscripten purpose but work for all arch.

So I am trying to run NeoGeo CD with my mame setup, but when I run a CHD it just crashes Retroarch. I think I got the whole setup done as explained here, so I am not sure what is wrong…

No need to have empty zip files, my roms folder only have the CHD files and three bioses (neocd.zip (210 kb), neocdz.zip (209 kb) and neogeo.zip (1556 kb)) and their names are cleaner, like Art of Fighting (World).CHD, this is because I use Hyperspin+Rocket Launcher.

In Quick Menu, set media type to cdrm (this won’t affect other machines MAME emulates, all games should work, both zips and CHDs).

The above setting can be changed if you open any game MAME can emulate, open something like Final Fight, enter Quick Menu and set the above, save your config and try loading your NEO GEO CD game.

Any wrong file, like a different bios set for another emulator can cause the crash as well.

after days of testing, and recompiles from latest mame2014 source - i can say is that if you are on windows, the latest ume2014 from buildbot nighly(should be dated 11-30-2016) is worth keeping if you want to play neocd(and others on mame’s softwarelist), its the only of the working. mess2014(dated somewhere 9-xx-2016)from nightly is broken and i cant run any software on it-it just crashes ra. compiling from source just gives compile problems under windows.

the linux port is updated though but not sure if it has the same issue-i dont have linux to test.

Ok I’ve fix mame2014 build for windows should be in updater , although I don’t if it 'll work with neocd.

neocd is not working with the latest build sadly, its what i have been trying to run… it does run coleco rom so it probably is driver thing?

heres a log: http://pastebin.com/gMGLt3ua

then here is the log of the last version of ume2014 dated 11-30-2016 from buildbot that is working: http://pastebin.com/nGXiRDcd even the latest mame(181 is the only available in buildbot) run without doing anything with mame’s configs

the tests are done with a clean retroarch-core-config files.

1 Like