Step by step guide on setting up Mame on retroarch?

Hi, I have never used Mame before and was wondering how to set it up since it’s different than just booting up a rom like with other systems. It seems very confusing. I’m using RetroArch with Ice and Steam Link.

It’s mostly the same, you just need to have the correct ROMs for the core. When you load one of them up, it should tell you which version of MAME/FBA it’s using (e.g., mame2003 core is actually MAME v0.078) and then you can find the proper ROMset online (or by downgrading a current ROMset using clrmamepro).

EDIT: scanning for MAME ROMs doesn’t work currently. You’ll have to either load them manually through ‘load content’ or use one of the many playlist creation/management utilities floating around the forum.

I’m gonna use Mame2014 and since I don’t have the space for a full romset I would have to download roms individually meaning I’d have to down-upgrade them since they will all be from different versions. Whats the easiest way to do this?

you have to use clrmamepro to downgrade them. It might be easier just to find the correct set, which would be 0.159, IIRC. However, few good/popular ROMs have changed since then, so many of the current set’s ROMs should still work with that core.

yeah but I only have a few GB to allocate for this so downloading whole sets would be impossible plus I don’t think there exists one for 159. I can’t even find a single ROM with that version so I would have to change them to match it.

Seriously, just download what games you want from whatever recent set you can find. 90% of the time they’ll just work with mame2014 as long as you get the parent ROM and BIOS if it needs it.

lol thanks. I downloaded the roms for some of the games I wanted to play a while ago, guess that’s why they didn’t work and that website update the files in the meanwhile so after I downloaded those I actual go them to work with the latest Mame version on RetroArch 0.174, the games where update for 0.164. There is some initial stuttering in the Killer Instinct games when loading video or into a stage but for the most part plays fine. Kinda amazing how I can play games I used to be excited to see in arcades as a kid finally at home. Looks even better with some good analog CRT filters.

MAME’s really great once you get past the initial “What parent, BIOS and CHD files do I need for each game?” difficulties. So many arcade games hold up due to their focus on tight gameplay and risk/reward mechanics.

I did encounter problem trying to run Super Street Fighter 2 and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. The 164 version loads in neither 164 not 174. It shows loading complete but never moves beyond that.

Make sure you have the Q-sound ROM. All CPS2 games started requiring it at some point.

Thanks that actual worked! But I also notice how none of the arcade games have any intro sound until I insert credit. How to I turn it on?

You have to mess with the Dip Switches/Service/Diagnostics (i think this is how it’s called in Retroarch Core Config menu). You can enable demo sounds, difficulty levels etc. Not all games have that though (at least not in Retroarch).

I can’t find that option in any of the games though.

It’s called Core Options ( you open the Retroarch menu after you load the game, go into Core options, “enable” Diagnostics and go back into the game and it should take you to the Service Mode). I repeat, not all games have them in Retroarch, but CPS2 games (Street Fighter Alpha series) and Neo Geo, should all have something like that.

The one that opens when you press “tab”? Problem is that that menu opens in low-res making it impossible to read like it’s adapting to the games native resolution.

I did notice how 0.179 has some graphical issues making the text hard to read and if you open the ingame menu with tab it’s completely illegible. No such problems with 0.159. Some games I have problems with is Marvel VS Capcom 2 even though I have the needed Naomi BIOS. Same for Cruis’n USA and Cruis’n World. They all get stuck during loading.

Thanks I found it with the 2 key. I did notice how 0.179 has some graphical issues making the text hard to read and if you open the ingame menu with tab it’s completely illegible. No such problems with 0.159. Some games I have problems with is Marvel VS Capcom 2 even though I have the needed Naomi BIOS. Same for Cruis’n USA and Cruis’n World. They all get stuck during loading.

[QUOTE=SakuraDrops;49245]Thanks I found it with the 2 key. I did notice how 0.179 has some graphical issues making the text hard to read and if you open the ingame menu with tab it’s completely illegible. No such problems with 0.159. Some games I have problems with is Marvel VS Capcom 2 even though I have the needed Naomi BIOS. Same for Cruis’n USA and Cruis’n World. They all get stuck during loading.[/QUOTE] Anybody know a solution? San Francisco Rush isn’t working either.

I doubt marvel vs capcom 2 works in MAME. Use Demul for that. As for those other games, it sounds like you’re missing roms. They might even require CHD’s but i can’t quite remember atm.

Only San Francisco Rush has a CHD and I saw an old video from someone emulating it from 2008 so I don’t know why it isn’t working here.