Supergrafx: Dai Makai-Mura (Ghouls'n Ghosts), Controller issue

Hi.

I have Retroarch 1.6.7, an Amazon Fire TV stick, 8BitDo SFC30 controller. I have tested many games and cores with this constellation and so far it works great.

I recently tested the Supergrafx game “Dai Makai-Mura” (Ghouls’n Ghosts) with the “Beetle SGC” core.

At first glance it runs very good. The title screen appears, demo mode is coming up, it runs smooth and audio is also okay.

The game says “Press RUN to start…”. But when I press RUN (which is mapped to START on my controller) nothing happens. I tried every button and button combination but it does not respond.

But sometimes, on very rare occasions, when I switch to the Retroarch User Interface and back to the game it suddenly works. When this happens it works all the time until I close the content. I have no idea what causes this but out of the blue, it suddenly works.

Does anyone know this problem with the game. Is there a remedy for this?

1.6.7? that quite old. if you are not able to update retroarch, they just try to re-select you input and then save a core or game input remap.

1 Like

Also try to check if your controls are set to Retropad.

1 Like

don’t check… i said above to re-select it…

in any case, sounds like you have very old versions there, including core.

1 Like

I have tried to save a “game remap” and a “core remap” file in the Quick-Menu. But this doesn’t help. Also I’ve noticed that this problem not only affects the Supergrafx game “Dai Makai-Mura” but also all PC-Engine/TG16 games that are startet with the “Beetle SGX” core. The other core “Beetle PCE fast” works with no problems.

The next thing I want to try is updating the Retroarch main program. (By the way: I have download version 1.6.7 in september 2017.)

What is the best way of doing this? Is it recommended to uninstall the old version first and then install the new one. Or can I install the new version just plain over the old one? Or is there another way (from out of the main user interface)?

Thanks for your help so far.

it should be safe to install new version on-top of an old one. but since you came from 1.6.7 best to start clean. also not sure about your device but check if there are any issue with current versions for your device.

1 Like

I have uninstalled Retroarch 1.6.7 and installed 1.7.0. The problems with the “Beetle SGX” core are now a thing of the past. And everything else still works fine on my Fire TV stick.

Thank you for your wise advice.

1 Like

nice to hear it works. if you use the SuperGrafx core to exclusively play pce-cd, pce roms, supergrafx, take note of the recent changes to this core:

1 Like

I read the post. All I can say is that there seem to be only lots of improvements. Thanks. :+1: