[TEST] crt-interlaced-halation with adjustable settings

or, if it’s just going to turn into geom-deluxe, you could just leave this as it is and use geom-deluxe instead :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Honestly I personally don’t even use geom, lol. This was just me trying to do something nice for the community, as I know some users like geom but want halation. I’ll probably just continue with the route I’m already going on (not using deluxe), I feel like it’ll be about the same amount of work either way, lol.

2 Likes

@hunterk

I’m still working on this. I’m just having issues getting the bloom halos to not look blocky, nothing I seem to do is resolving it.

At this point I feel like I only have two options, I can post what I have without the halation adjustment or I can post what I already have done along with some screens to possibly get some assistance. (I’d really like to get this finished, but my knowledge is pretty shallow, I really need to find some stuff to read up on this.)

make sure you’re using linear filtering on the blur passes

1 Like

I’m currently using the default slangp for the shader, and having this issue with the untouched blur passes.

I’ll double check to see, though.

@hunterk Ok so apparently the default for interlaced-halation’s blur passes is nearest for some reason.

Now I have to decide whether I want to make those linear (your suggestion) or geom itself (this is what geom-deluxe does) linear as either one fixes the bloom problem, thanks for pointing it out. I honestly wouldn’t have thought about something that simple.

Now my only issue is the mask is broken… like it’s there but it’s not scaling properly or something. Guess I’ll fight the mask now, lol.

EDIT: It seems the mask is broken without me doing anything, just tested it in the original copy of crt-interlaced-halation and I’m getting the same issue with the mask when you set the define for the mask to be used.

Looks pretty bad honestly and makes the bloom halos look bad as well. Wow, interlaced-halation needs more work then I thought.

Not trying to be lazy here and I know it’s not really what you’re wanting, but I’m really debating on gutting the phosphor passes from geom-deluxe and using that as a replacement for crt-interlaced-halation.

Because at this point to fix interlaced-halation, I’m going to have to pull the mask setup from geom-deluxe to get the mask working properly anyway, and if I was to update the blur passes I’ll also still be pulling from geom-deluxe. So what’s the point in pulling all that from it and transplanting it when I can just remove some stuff instead (ended up with less work most likely)? Not to mention any other updates to shader I’d do would still be pulling for geom-deluxe as it’s the most up-to-date version of the shader.

I mean if you can figure out the mask, I could continue on with cherry-picking updates from deluxe, I guess.

I don’t know man, I’ll wait for you to weigh in on this before I do any more work on this. I’m seriously not trying to be difficult.

Yeah, it renders the CRT pass to 3x and then scales the rest of the way, which sucks. Like I said, it’s an old shader that’s pretty much been obsoleted by now.

1 Like

Ohh, well I know people still like to use it going by the forums.

Could we maybe compromise and make a new shader in the repo which is basically geom-deluxe without the afterglow/phosphor passes(maybe call it geom-halation)? I mean I’ll do the work for it.

If you’d rather not introduce another shader to the repo could it at least replace interlaced-halation after you review of course.

I think the easiest and most faithful thing to do would be to replace it with something that’s just crt-geom preceded by a pair of blur passes and then combined at the end. I can probably whip it up in a few minutes.

1 Like

If that’s what you want to do, sorry for all the trouble.

no worries. You’re welcome to take a stab at it, too :slight_smile:

1 Like

At this point I’ll just leave you to it, lol. You’ll get done with it way faster then I will, like days faster…

I mean after you post it, I may try and see if there’s any code that’s been further optimised in geom-deluxe and work on a update from there.(basically cherry-picking.)

Though if you’re update isn’t replacing interlaced-halation in the repo, my update is technically done, just the mask is broken which it wasn’t working in the first place anyway. (And we need to decide which passes to make linear filtered.)

Either way, thanks for your time @hunterk!

well, here it is if you’d like to try it: https://www.mediafire.com/file/no7p43eybom3qll/crt.zip/file

It uses 2 blur passes from the ‘blurs’ directory, so it needs to run from the ‘crt’ directory.

Of interest to you, @Syh, I left in 2 basic ways to apply the glow/halation:

mul_res += glow * registers.halation_strength;
mul_res /= 1.0 + registers.halation_strength;

//    mul_res = mix(mul_res, glow, registers.halation_strength);
1 Like

I’ll check it out when I get on my PC tomorrow, it’s currently shut off.

I was using this:(At your suggestion, for this project.)

//    mul_res = mix(mul_res, glow, registers.halation_strength);

Haven’t seen this method though. (Will have to check it out.)

mul_res += glow * registers.halation_strength;
mul_res /= 1.0 + registers.halation_strength;

I’ve been using easymode’s method (for personal stuff, mainly because I like the mask visible in the bloom halo effect.)

Thanks for the shader, and the halation methods!

1 Like