Testing Beetle PSX HW new features

MDEC: Great. I’m gonna use this with Reverse AA shader which improves fmvs sharpness, especially text.

MSAA: Perfect, it allows you to play with a lower resolution compared to your monitor native one by getting completely rid of aliasing, performance loss seems negligible aswell.

Super Sampling (Downsample from internal upscale): this is a mixed one, improves some 2d internally filtered elements, worsens others and downscales polygons. I guess it should be used only with CRT monitors or shaders.

I’ve been testing out Super Sampling and find that it works best on games that use 3D characters on pre-rendered backgrounds. I’ll get some screenshots later, but in FFIX it allows for the characters to fit in the world much better than normal.

Yeah SS is good but only if you emulate on a crt or by using a crt shader. If you emulate by increasing internal resolution to get better graphics is useless, you’ll just lose polygon details cause of downscaling.

Back when I still had my 3dfx Voodoo 5 5500, the glide plugin with SSAA on ePSXe was pretty amazing with 3d/2d background games. :slight_smile:

Here’s FFIX for example with and without SSAA. Vivi fits much more naturally into the space.

For a game like Mega Man Legends 2 that has sharp clean lines you don’t get as much benefit from SSAA

Just another example.

Yeah let me quote myself

Yeah SS is good but only if you emulate on a crt or by using a crt shader. If you emulate by increasing internal resolution to get better 3d models is useless, you’ll just lose polygon details cause of downscaling.

Guys, please, explain something to me.

It’s possible to just increase the internal resolution like 8x AND just let the output screen in a way that the shaders can look at it? Don’t downscaling the image (losing quality in the proccess, right?), just tell that the output screen is at 1x.

It’s possible?

No, you can’t increase the size and also not increase the size.

The shaders are (mostly) designed to work with low-res sources. The SSAA option shrinks the high-res images down to low-res for that purpose.

Ok. Thank you hunterk.

One more: it’s possible to create a shader that get a screen upscaled to 8x and then prepare that same screen to a shader like nnedi3 do their magic correctly?

How demanding is the SSAA option for the GPU?

I would like to know the minimum GPU requirement to run SSAA with at least 8x.

Thanks.

Super Sampling? Definitely not demanding at all (i’m playing on a gtx 850m, video card of 5 years ago)

Yes. Super sampling. Can you run at fullspeed with your GPU with at least 8x?

It depends from game to game, but mostly yes.