TheNamec - Mega Bezel Packs Amiga, Commodore 64, VIC20, CRTgaming soon

Do you mean aliasing on the monitor graphics?

Exact percentages don’t really mean anything except as a measure of the game image height relative to the full viewport height. Everything else will be relative.

For example the default non-integer scale is 83.xxx which is just what it needed to be for a 224p game to have a vertical integer scale at 1080p.

The aliasing in graphics as they are scaled down is related to the fact that I can’t properly use mip-mapping for the graphics due to the bug where the resolution of the original textures is not reported by retroarch in Vulkan and GLCore. :anguished:

2 Likes

[(224x4)/83]*100 = 1079 :exploding_head:

So taking calculating non-integer scale for Amiga basic resolutions:

• PAL 320x240 -> [(240x4)*100]/1080 -> non-integer scale for PAL is 88.888888 %
  • NTSC 320x200-> [(200x4)*100]/1080 -> non-integer scale for NTSC is 74.074074 %

I’m quite close to the 74% value in my current presets… but 89%? is way too big!

This will be a major hit for visual quality when they fix. Nowadays, I’m relying on Pixel Perfect positioning while avoiding micro-details and small text :+1:

3 Likes

I’m glad to hear that at least things were represented in their best possible light. I looked at the video and it was great!

Wow! That sounds like not fun! Seems like my presets are taking your bezel presets out of their comfort zone and vice versa. Good thing we talked.

I may not have bothered to make 1080p and (soon to be uploaded) 1440p optimized presets if we didn’t! While the 1080p presets can actually work well and look sharp at 1440p, certain settings vary quite a bit according to the resolution so the solution that would best preserve my vision and also help 1440p users encroach even more on 4K image quality would be dedicated optimized presets for 1440p resolution. After doing the 1080p groundwork, this wasn’t difficult at all to implement. Look out for them soon!

Perhaps this post by @Duimon might assist you in addressing some of your scaling challenges.

1 Like

Jim Power in Mutant Planet is a 200 toxic palette colors marvel with full overscan on ECS

Here’s a gameplay of Jim Power in Mutant Planet on Retroarch overlay Amiga 1000 + Commodore C1080 from TheNamec Mega Bezel Commodore Pack. Featuring Death to Pixels Arcade Sharp post-processing by Cyberlab.

Jim Power is a technological marvel from assembly wizard Fernando Velez. Its toxic palette, 200 vivid colors on screen at the same time, complex parallax effects and unforgettable Chris Huelsbeck soundtrack made this one of my favourite run-and-gun and one of my fondest Amiga memories. Borrowing the best elements from Turrican, Ghost 'n Goblins, Contra (platform sections) and R-Type (shoot 'em up sections), Jim Power throws the player through painstakingly long levels, up to six minutes each.

The first Amiga backdrop for Mega Bezel Commodore Pack in 2020.

Of course, the game cames with dumb scripted enemies and straight-forward gameplay based upon traps, timed jumping and muscolar memory. Inconsistent art direction offers soldiers from ancient Rome lost between Japanese houses and werewolves, forests with dragons, zombies, archers from the Robin Hood gang and demons with giant ants but… hey! It’s a mutant planet in the 90s, it’s pretty normal.

Monochromatic love on c1201, for all these fluo palette haters out there!

Jim Power has had a long legacy, spawning conversions that felt more like remakes than direct ports: the SNES edition in particular added new levels, new music, a new design for the hero, Mode7 and motion sick parallax, changing the ‘Mutant Planet’ for a ‘Lost Dimension’. The PC Engine saw the addition of a 3’45" intro and CD quality remaster of the excellent soundtrack.

Every version added something good, but the Amiga version stays on top.

6 Likes

Nice. I really need to get some of these games your showing into my collection. They are as brilliant on the Amiga as the DOS shareware was on the PC.

Really nice job on the 1000, I love the perspective and shading!

4 Likes

This is excellent work! When I get some free time I might take some more in but I have yet to delve into Jim Power fully and I wouldn’t want to encounter any spoilers.

I’m glad and honoured to see yet another video showcasing my presets! I might have to do some cross linking on my thread soon!

It’s only been a little over a week and it’s already crossed 1,300 views with a couple hundred downloads of my presets (estimated). It’s hard to keep track of the exact total because I’ve been updating the links a bit frequently over the last few days. With that said I have added 6 new presets to the package! These aren’t minor tweaks, I would consider them a complete overhaul once again, bringing improved sharpness, more detail and better overall image quality that I hadn’t envisioned was possible by me (maybe by others though…lol).

So I invite and encourage you to download the CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack 21-11-21 (or later) and try out my new PVM Edition presets. They are exceptionally clear but still maintain that balance of smoothing while still maintaining that element of “16-bitness” that we all love.

Seeing is believing though. The difference between these and the previous presets are like the difference between putting on glasses if you have less than perfect vision and not! They’re that much better! Yes, I would say better and not just clearer.

However life is not perfect and there are some slight caveats if you look carefully enough. I achieved this clarity by manipulating the very things that added up to give me the colours, brightness and gamma that I had in my previous presets. Things have shifted slightly as a result. Who knows, maybe they’re more accurate now…lol I’ve been struggling to get the brightness and gamma to match the previous presets without messing things up. Tonight I just gave up and increased the brightness of my TV. lol

I haven’t had time to post any screenshots nor test and develop 1440p and 1080p optimized versions yet but I have a feeling that they will scale pretty well down to those resolutions even without special optimized versions. 1080p should be pretty safe as the settings I usually adjust to match the sharpness of my 4K presets are already pretty low in this set so I doubt there’s anywhere else to go. The only problem might be if the scanline adjustments don’t work well at the lower resolutions.

For my 1440p Edition presets all I usually do is change the Mask Type to 7 and the Mask Size to 2 then lower settings that reduce sharpness a bit like halation. In this case halation is already very low.

The issue with brightness is that the individual phosphors have much more space between them and thus the mask and scanlines are more prominent so I might be kinda running into similar issue as @Nesguy has been talking about when talking about his ideal TV for emulating a CRT. I don’t think I can get this preset to match those aspects of the previous presets without basically changing them back by making the phosphors converge as they did previously.

With that said they’re still much better in my opinion. Perhaps you or someone else might have an idea of how to properly calibrate and colour correct them without messing with the scanline settings? That would be brilliant if it’s possible.

Updated: Seems like there’s absolutely no need to make 1080p optimized version of my PVM Edition Presets! They’re just as sharp and detailed as at 4K as is and scanlines seem to be looking fine as well! So you can go ahead and start to use them right away if you wish!

1 Like

Thank you my friend! I’m keeping an eye on Muzza’s Turrican2 pc/Amiga hack, somebody suggested a Jim Power pc/Amiga hybrid to get the best from each. Too bad the recent AmigaCD32 conversion with PC-Engine reorchestrated ost is paywalled at 55$!!!

Congrats for the views! May I suggest using GitHub to keep track of versioning, releases and downloads? It would be even easier to follow your development.

As I have my own pvm/bvm project under development, it would be quite funny to test those ideal monitors to the real counterparts from people on r/crtgaming

4 Likes

Thanks! It’s something that I’ll consider. Can you elaborate as to these benefits as these days free time is very hard to come by.

Yes, I do have your quest in the back of my mind as well as the things you said in you’re post describing what you liked and disliked about my presets. The funny thing is back then, I was very excited about how things were looking but with these new refinements, I probably can’t go back to using my previous presets that I thought made me feel so satisfied before. When you compare them one after the other, the new ones just easily look so much better that it makes me want to play all my games over again.

I guess that’s how we grow and evolve as we live. It’s like we can’t just stop and get back to playing games like 1995 again! Lol

By the way, I’ve been making notes in my readme file every time I update my presets. I don’t know if you noticed. That’s one way to keep track of my changes and development and another is to keep checking back at the end and start of each day.

The preset files in the _common directory have no effect after opening. Can you tell me why? The presets in the amiga directory are perfect. Thanks again for your great work.

Thank you and welcome to my Mega Bezel packs!

In short, _common folder should not be directly opened by the final user, that’s why you see no effect.

The presets in the _common folder are just general resources used by all the Amiga presets (and by the new incoming packs), think to them as fragments to compose the final picture.

This way I can combine all the different displays, levels of zoom, performance variations together to get new presets just by adding new graphics.

If you go up in this thread you will find the complete scheme of my chaining system. To the retrogamer, the only folder that matters is the Amiga one :wink:

4 Likes

Just to be sure Alessandro, the link do not exist anymore ?

1 Like

Hey Oneshout, sorry for the late answer!

The FS-UAE repo is temporarily private as I intend to launch the specific thread on https://eab.abime.net/, I don’t feel like Libretro forum being the right place for non-RetroArch projects. The good news is I was finally able to reach out FS-UAE author (by pure chance) and will coordinate with him as promised… as long as he cares! Ahahah :sweat_smile:

I know you’ve been waiting for this patiently, the theme is in a pretty good state and only needs minor adjustments. Too bad that template system being not so well documented, I had a pretty hit-or-miss scenario while building the A1200Synth and while I’d be glad to convert all the Amiga overlays I know it will require a ride on a quite boring path.

I’ll notify you as soon as I have a release window! I swear on my A500 honor. :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

yea… just happy that the project isn’t down. Tks for the news :wink:

3 Likes

The update before the storm!

The Bato-gate

I know, I know… it’s been ages since I last updated the devlog, I must admit the stealing of my Amiga and (unpublished!) C64 assets from some Batocera guy had a pretty bad aftermath. I stopped doing videos and my repo got dusty. :weary:

This will eventually force me to change my license to a Non-derivative license to block people spreading unauthorized remixes based upon stolen assets without even contacting me. This makes me pretty sad, as I really wanted people to help me with their ideas: the FS-UAE theme would never exist without @oneshout own concept (thank you sir :heart:). But I can’t stand someone came on this thread, cut away watermark from promotional content and distributing it in a major distro without even asking.

After some drama me and the collective behind the Mega Bezel Reflection Shader decided to officially contribute with some handmade assets… Batocera is a big project, I’ll do my best to recover the low quality edits the did from my assets. But…

The Bezel factory

…my priority stays on Mega Bezels, as we’re approaching the first stable release! Master @HyperspaceMadness is ironing out details, still adding features for us to work better, faster and stronger. It’s been a pretty exciting ride, and we’re getting to first finish line: the 1.0 release!

On my side, I’ve been pretty busy updating all of my presets to new internal alphas, while trying to add some new contents and integrating @Cyber hot 'n spicy Death to Pixel shaders.

The new PVM-SERIES pack (and retrowalls)

People from r/crtgaming has been helping me tracking down some of the “holy grail” CRT displays, so I ended up with a first batch of PVM/BVM displays from Sony and JVC and decided to use the real brand in conjunction with my personal BEZELTRON trademark. The PVM-SERIES will launch with a new “retrowall” solution that will display the fully modeled devices!

Of course, I’m collecting ideas for some retro-themed backdrops and ambient solutions. This will shape up fast and funny.

What about Commodore Pack?

I can hear you, the C64 update is on the finish line and will be included with the new RC3. As soon as I complete the work on presets for 1.0 release, I’ll be back on adding more new Commodore content on the Amiga side.

See you soon Bezellers!

12 Likes

Wow, this looks amazing! @TheNamec I can’t wait to put my hands into it!

5 Likes

I second that! :smiley: These displays are looking awesome!!! :star_struck:

6 Likes

Really, really nice work my friend! I absolutely love the one with the LED labels along the sides. :exploding_head:

7 Likes

that’s look amazing ! (… and tks for the kind words :wink: )

5 Likes

Please welcome Mr. Ikegami HTM-1550R!

There are two more “holy grail” CRT on my schedule before I can consider the graphic developing complete… after that I’ll start building presets to simulate these monitors.

They infact use different technologies to achieve the best definition and brightness: JVC relied on slot mask, Sony on aperture grille (better known as Trinitron), Ikegami on dot-shadow mask, some Commodore devices on slot mask and others on shadow mask…

The objective is not to rebuild these displays with hystorical precision: as I always said it would simply be impossibile. I’d like to have them behave differently so when you choose one of my preset you’re not simply changing the overlay. I want you to choose your visual experience.

8 Likes

I fully endorse your vision and mission!

5 Likes