TheNamec - Mega Bezel Packs Amiga, Commodore 64, VIC20, CRTgaming soon

Just to fill the lack of official documentation! Ahahah thank you so much :love_you_gesture:

Yes this is because of changes in the shaders structure in the latest RC cycle for Mega Bezel Reflection Shaders. This is the main reason because I had to insert the mirror for a previous version.

The stable shader is incoming, I was thinking about publishing an intermediate ā€œhotfixā€ for my RC2 just for newcomers, but I have to test it against new features (i.e. corner crease) and this would require extra work and less time on RC3. Iā€™ve been quite on a time constraint lately :face_with_head_bandage:

2 Likes

FrodeSolheim talk about a new CDTV/32 memory access state but donā€™t know if itā€™s the state 0 of the CD :thinking:

Maybe the parameter ā€˜md_led_posā€™ refers to that? I was not able to trigger it during my tests, so I commented out for future referenceā€¦

1 Like

These are awesome, thank you!

Any chance on integrating some of these displays with a mouse/keyboard/full machine in the scene kinda like this?

Kinda to give that ā€œsitting in a roomā€ feeling.

Your Bezeltron Philips tube is my favorite, by the way. I love that old retro 70s vibe it gives off, reminds me of when I was a kid! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for making me consider a second take about importance of extra props in the composition of the ā€œretro scenarioā€. I was actually inspired by the very same reference photo while building the new ā€œambientā€ Amiga 1000 scenario. I love the translucent post-it and the pile of floppies on the external drives, these really add realism to the scene without being distracting! (/me mumbles about props).

• JOYSTICK/MOUSE: Iā€™d say YES. itā€™s possible and really nice but it should end up on the side, maybe with a moderate occlusion on the monitor frame: I donā€™t like when overlays end up on the actual gameplay area (with the exception of some historical arcade cabinet decals).

• MOUSE/KEYBOARD: Iā€™d say NO. Objects leaning on the ā€œscenario deskā€ end up being too low respect to actual monitor in the canonical 16:9/16:10 aspect ratio. In my experimentations I tryed to correct this by moving and shrinking the ā€œscenario screenā€ around, by this ended up with a reduced gameplay area and unwanted artifacts because of scanlines.

• FULL MACHINE: Iā€™d say SOMETIMES. With vertical machines, like the Amiga 3000T and 4000T (and PCs, WII, XBOX360, PS2-3-4) this may work fine as a recognizable portion of the machine can sit on side. With horizontal machines, the alternatives would be: a) the display ends up covering the machine, with just little details emerging on the sides, or b) the displays leans on the machine keeping IRL proportions, resulting in a really small gameplay area.

That display ends up being pretty modern, being marketed around 2014 as one of the latest 4:3 flat ultraslim CRT! Iā€™m happy you like it.

I need to add some more TV to the pack, they have that extra vibe for console retrogaming. What about a JVC D-SERIES?

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a nice tube. :slight_smile:

Someone actually found my tube(exact type) from when I was a kid on Youtube and posted some footageā€“a really nice 1981 high end trinitron set:

Yeah, capturing more of the surrounding scene adds a lot to an overlay. When I game using dosbox it feels a lot like Iā€™m there.

2 Likes

Everything works ok when I try the shaders apart from the night lightning? The day and night version all look the same. Anyone has a clue what could be the problem of this?

2 Likes

It may be that they are still using the old parameter. If soā€¦

HSM_NIGHT_OPACITY

Needs to be changed to.

HSM_AMBIENT_LIGHTING_OPACITY

4 Likes

Thx Duimon, that seems to fix it.

2 Likes

Heya pixel lovers! Easter is coming, so I decided to drop some EASTER EGGS and dutiful hotfixes. Without further esitations, let me introduceā€¦

Mega Bezel Commodore Pack RC3 (April 16th, 2022)

Download link
New release for public testing, adding lots of blocky memories with Commodore64 and VIC20 packs. HAPPY EASTER BONUS: Amiga 1000 ambient preset and c264-series Commodore16.

Content:

• Added COMMODORE 64 Silver label presets and original assets, the first model
  • Added COMMODORE 64 Breadbin presets and original assets, the real classic
  • Added COMMODORE 64 ALDI presets and original assets, cheap consumer edition
  • Added COMMODORE 64 DreanComm presets and original assets, with extra argentine flavor
  • Added COMMODORE 64 G Series presets and original assets, with additional german taste
  • Added VIC20 Gold label presets and original assets, first revision collector edition
  • Added VIC20 Mark2 presets and original assets, the most widespread model
  • Added VIC20 Mark3 presets and original assets, rainbow logo edition for Europe, Canada and Australia
  • Added VIC-1001 presets and original assets, first Japan-only edition
  • BONUS: Added AMIGA 1000 presets and original assets with a new experimental ā€˜ambient designā€™
  • BONUS: Added Commodore 16 presets and original assets, from c264-series

Features:

• Added CURVED bezel presets to each display
  • Added FLAT bezel presets to each display
  • Added NORMAL SCALING presets, full display chassis visible
  • Added INTEGER SCALING preset, automatic display zoom for cleanest pixels and less artifacts

Enhancements:

• Revamped MEGA BEZELS presets for much nicer depth, realistic lightning and customized decals
  • Revamped DISPLAY presets for much nicer depth and better reflections
  • Refactored DISPLAY preset names for a clear separation of presets variations
  • Refactored FOLDER STRUCTURE for incoming future features :wink:
  • Updated BEZELTRON CRT-SERIES presets and assets in favor of real-life brands
  • Updated LO-FI MONOCHROME presets with tube texture to mimic phosphor surface
  • Updated LICENSE and WATERMARKS to Creative Commons BY-NC-ND 4.0 because of bad guys stealing my assets without permission

Fixes:

• Updated MEGA BEZEL REFLECTION SHADER presets parameters to latest public MBR shader version
  • Updated AMIGA CD32 led assets for proper YELLOW cd-drive indicator
  • Updated MONITOR C1702 PRESETS NAMES typo C1072 -> C1702
  • Updated MONOCHROME PRESETS with better brightness, wider contrast and a subtle ā€˜mathericā€™ texture
  • Removed PERFORMANCE PRESETS as they are no longer needed (thanks to graphics caching)

Just 4k for now, the 1080p edition will follow soon.

Question time

Whatā€™s cool about latest Release Candidate?

Oh, lots of much anticipated Commodore goodies. Commodore 64 being one of the most requested features, I had to go deep in researches and build many regional and historical variants beyond the classic BREADBIN model. :nerd_face:

The same process went on for Datassette and VIC20, and the little Commodore16 from the x264 series. The share a pretty similiar chassis, speeding up the design process. But hey, this required lots of logos to be customized! :grin:

I highly doubt anybody will ever emulate a VIC20 game in Retroarch, but that was a pretty interesting journey in memory preservationā€¦ and Commodore 16 being slick black is simply TOO COOL.

I also added some features to enhance visuals: a more CRT-like color correction from my incoming custom shaders, NTSC variants from almighty @guest.r, flat/curved variants for displays and integer scaling to reduce bad artifacts. Levels of zoom, being ā€˜nearā€™ and ā€˜normalā€™, will let you decide how far from the simulated screen will your face be. :dizzy_face:

Is Mega Bezel Commodore Pack complete?

Nope, hence the Release Candidate tag.

Iā€™d like to add more Amiga, Commodore 64, VIC20 and Commodore 264 series variations and data units. Iā€™m pretty torn about pc-looking A1500, A2000, A3000, A4000. I already acquired references for these and will update as soon as I complete the visual shaders overhaul :crossed_fingers:

Whatā€™s going on with the CRTgaming thing about PVM/BVM?

Lots of things are moving under the hood.

As visual permutations for CRT TECHS (dot-mask, slot-mask, aperture grille, plasma), SIGNALS (RGB/SCART, S-VIDEO, COMPONENT, RF MODULATOR) and FLAVOURS (smooth, sharp, soft, more monochromes) was taking a bit too long, I decided to give some love to the Commodore Suite.

Complexity of output is the real problem here: at the current status, permutations lead to over 200.000 presets, making Github management pretty difficult. I had to stop the very moment I tried to do a commit and my HDD failed while trying to calculate diffsā€¦ nothing is lost, but I need to work smarter.

I need a script for presets generation!

Thatā€™s all folks, happy easter everybody!

11 Likes

This is wonderful @TheNamec. Canā€™t wait to take these for a spin!

Iā€™m really glad you paid attention to making Integer Scale compatible variants because this is very important for detailed mask and shader preset design.

It would be great if @soqueroeu could also implement something like this in his TV bezels as that would probably make my life much easier when trying to integrate my shader presets with them.

You keep doing your thing man! Creating a legacy is what weā€™re doing!

3 Likes

Just wonderful my friend! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The number of presets, the detail, the use of the Mega Bezel featuresā€¦

An amazing accomplishment that betrays the many, many hours you spent perfecting it. :star_struck:

5 Likes

Thanks for the great work. I noticed you also use guest_advanced are the primary shader of your presets, but it looks a bit different than the current default settings of HSM bezel. Less scanline heavy, and more with hive pattern (shadowmask?). I still donā€™t know which one I preferā€¦so many decisions:)

1 Like

I just noticed now that the ā€œcurvedā€ presets main shader look significantly different from all variations of the ā€œflatā€ presets.

The ā€œflatā€ ones look exactly like the default HSM Bezel shaders, the guest_advanced shader, while the curved ones look quite dark and have the hive effect very pronounced? Is this intentional or a bug? On the HSM defaults, the curved ones look just like the flat presets.

The main idea is that scanlines interaction with bright pixels should be different between curved, flat and integer scaling, resulting in a variation of brightness.

Scanlines being a major threat for moire/artifacts in curved, with a minor impact on flat and zero impact on integer, I need to somewhat mitigate that with some extra tuning.

EDIT: I agree with you, tested ā€œcurvedā€ presets on a non-QLED display and it feels a little moody. Iā€™ll crank brightness a little up!

Thank you for feedback! And welcome to this little Commodore shrine!

4 Likes

For me, the shader on the curved presets has a completely different, a bit stitchy, look, so I donā€™t know If itā€™s supposed to be this way. For example (in this case the preset has already been brightened up, like I said, the default is too dark:

While the flat presets look like this to me:

Both are Advanced_Smooth presets

4 Likes

It appears the difference is the ā€œSlot Mask Strength Bright Pixels ā€“ slotmaskā€ and the ā€œSlot Mask Strength Dark Pixels ā€“ slotmask1ā€ parameters in the relative ā€œtweaks.slangpā€.

Iā€™m not sure why it is giving this resultā€¦ I donā€™t think it should.

2 Likes

Now I see what youā€™re talking about! Thank you for pointing out.

Iā€™m quite sure this is related to the simulated slot mask attenuation parameters. I got these already separated in curved/flat preset fragments so fixing should be a (global) breeze!

I like the stiched texture more because it better reflects IRL commodore monitors micro-dotted slot mask, I found these pretty peculiar. Stronger, plain scanlines belong to PVM/BVM slot masks. Iā€™ll consider this for incoming CRTGaming pack.

I love how these little details make the simulated experience even more unique!

Iā€™ll release an hotfix download this weekend, Iā€™ve already ironed out a couple nice bugs :wink:

6 Likes

Iā€™m still using it, and still undecided about it. Itā€™s cool that it tries to mimic commodoreā€™s monitors, but maybe the effect is too heavy. Itā€™s been ages since I used one (my 1084 died in 1996, RIP), but I kind of remember the image being a bit more soft, but memory might be playing tricks. I wish I had one to try it out.

4 Likes

You can soften the effect a bit by increasing the mask gamma.

3 Likes