TheNamec - Mega Bezel Packs Amiga, Commodore 64, VIC20, CRTgaming soon

Really, really nice work my friend! I absolutely love the one with the LED labels along the sides. :exploding_head:

7 Likes

thatā€™s look amazing ! (ā€¦ and tks for the kind words :wink: )

5 Likes

Please welcome Mr. Ikegami HTM-1550R!

There are two more ā€œholy grailā€ CRT on my schedule before I can consider the graphic developing completeā€¦ after that Iā€™ll start building presets to simulate these monitors.

They infact use different technologies to achieve the best definition and brightness: JVC relied on slot mask, Sony on aperture grille (better known as Trinitron), Ikegami on dot-shadow mask, some Commodore devices on slot mask and others on shadow maskā€¦

The objective is not to rebuild these displays with hystorical precision: as I always said it would simply be impossibile. Iā€™d like to have them behave differently so when you choose one of my preset youā€™re not simply changing the overlay. I want you to choose your visual experience.

8 Likes

I fully endorse your vision and mission!

5 Likes

Hi everyone,

is somebody have a download link for HSM_Bezel_Reflection_V0.9.022_2021-09-05?

The HSM download (Github, Onedrive) are now in version 0.9.094 2021-12-27 Rev 1 which canā€™t actually work with Commodore pack RC2.

I havenā€™t found a link for HSM 2021-09-05, anyone can provide one?

Tia, best regards.

2 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness can you give me a little help?

I need a pre-RC version to be available for compatibility with my pack before the 1.0 launch, newcomers canā€™t get this to work with the latest. Can you post an additional link to the official Mega Bezel thread?

In the past I avoided to include the required MBR shader presets to my pack to avoid altering your download statistics :wink:

3 Likes

@Backspace @TheNamec I had this version from September on my hard drive, it might help

HSM_Bezel_Reflection_V 0.9.023_2021-09-11

I put it up on my Google Drive if itā€™s needed https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XANWmf1J8KJPDKHDwYIS58B49B5EWhZY/view?usp=sharing

5 Likes

Great find @Neofuuma! I owe you one.

Hope this will help us on the road for Mega Bezel point release :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Thanxx, works like a charm with this pack :+1:

4 Likes

Glad to hear it! Have fun and welcome to the Mega Bezel Community :hugs:

5 Likes

Heya bezellers! So what am I cooking for the next release? Something pretty exciting!

A major overhaul for my CRTs

Iā€™ve been hearing your suggestions and critics and decided to build a variation system with new features for each simulated display. The main concept behind my new variation system leverages on five different factors to deliver a staggering 56 per-screen combinations: :exploding_head:

1. CRT technology: APERTURE GRILLE, DOT MASK, SLOT MASK, PLASMA
  2. Connection cable: RGB and COMPONENT
  3. Visual variations: ENHANCED (scalefx, mdapt), SHARP, SOFT, FAST (potato), MONOCHROME AMBER/GREEN/WHITE
  4. Distance from screen: NEAR, NORMAL, FAR
  5. Ambient lightning: DAY, NIGHT

These five factors are the extreme synthesis of major trends in emulation visuals in conjunction with modern needs and retrogaming tears. If you want crispy, vivid, better-than-original graphics go with RGB ENHANCED. If you prefer a bloomy, softer and bright experience, choose COMPOSITE SOFT. Moreover, each display will now came with monochromatic variants.

Hereā€™s some samples (view full resolution images to enjoy CRT details):

Monochrome Plasma / composite / Sharp @ Commodore 1201

Slot-mask / RGB / Soft @ Commodore 1080

Dot-mask / composite / Soft @ Ikegami htm-1550r

Aperture Grille / RGB / Sharp @ Sony pvm-14l5

While trying to make this chain behemot work fine, I developed a distinct ā€œglobalā€ profiles for each CRT technology, so now each device feels more like its real-life counterpart. The final effect is already impressive, as you will be able to taste the ā€œvisual feelingā€ instead of simply choosing a ā€œgraphic overlayā€.

Now Iā€™ll take some time to better tune each display to make them even more distinct and based on r/crtgaming macro photos. You know, each brand and model had its own flavour, and I have to perfect this by using advanced quality protocols (aka trial and error, day-after testing, references comparison). :nerd_face:

This comes with some technological limitations: first of all, I need to balance visuls for different generations of games to work fine, and some details (like accurate dot-triad shadow masking) simply canā€™t be reproduced on 1080p. Replicating them by using mask references while zooming at 400% really is a waste of time, resulting in less-than-appealing final visuals (loss of brightness and sharness, general darkness, huge scanlines, moire effect).

I discovered this byā€¦ wasting lots of time. No pain, no gain! :wink:

PS: my internal development version is now compatible with latest Mega Bezel Reflection Shader and exploits its new advanced features. :star_struck:

10 Likes

Great to see an update and glad you were able to sort out all the bugs! Thatā€™s a lot of variety youā€™re including there! These two are my favorite out of the 4!

5 Likes

Amazing! I canā€™t wait!

3 Likes

FS-UAE Amiga Themes released!

I needed a little pause from the Mega Bezel, so I decided to give the finishing touches on the Amiga 1200 Synthwave theme for FS-UAE. I know this is not RetroArch related, but this is a really nice showcase of what we the dynamic overlays we may be able to do with LED and data devices interactivity.

Free download: https://github.com/TheNamec/fsuae-amiga-themes/releases/tag/1.0

MULTI-FLOPPY DATA SIMULATOR (DFx)

The 'data-simulator' adaptor on the left side is equipped with a dot matrix display showing status from DF0, DF1, DF2 and DF3 in real-time, meaning you get LOTS of information about disk activity. 'Data-Simulator' UX is based off IRL Gotek adaptors, hence the codification of disk access and the track count.

On the left: DF0 read access (RA) and track cylinder in real-time

• DISK PRESENCE SWITCHES a row of on-off switches indicates that the floppy unit contains media. If you eject volumes via the FS-UAE menu, you will see the switches toggling position
  • DISK TRACK DISPLAY shows the cylinder currently being read. Empty floppy units will show dashes in place of cylinders number
  • DISK ACCESS NOTIFICATIONS shows the Read Access (RA) and Write Access (WA) for each floppy unit

LED INDICATORS (ODD, HDD, POWER)

LED indicators on the right side give a real-time glimpse of data units and power activity via classic Amiga blinking LEDs.

On the Right: HDD & POWER activity

• HARD DISK (HDD) LED shows reading/writing activity for all of the hard disk units via a blinking LED
  • OPTICAL DISK (ODD) LED shows reading activity for all of the optical disk units via a blinking LED
  • POWER LED shows energy supply status via an on/off LED. Some applications shut the LED off in run-time

AUDIO INDICATOR (HEADPHONES)

Audio indicator is included on the upper part of the 'data-simulator' adaptor on the left side. It's shaped like an headphone and shows three different audio output statuses based on colored lightning.

• NO LIGHT means audio is off, blue light means audio is on
  • YELLOW LIGHT means you're playing an audio CD
  • RED LIGHT means something is not working correctly (ex. empty audio buffer)

POSTPROCESSING & FX

This graphic theme leverages on a mix of FS-UAE rendering effects to achieve a nice retro-feeling. Old displays were not as pixel-perfect and sharp as nowadays LCD/OLED panels, so old graphics assets may benefit from some postprocessing at the expense of minimum CPU/GPU calculation power.

Default theme.conf file includes:

scanlines = 1
scanlines_dark = 6
scanlines_light = 3
shader = curvature
fsaa = 4
texture_filter = nearest

THEME SCALING AND POSITIONING

This graphic theme is hard-coded and tested for 1920x1080 Full HD standard resolution. Amiga content is preset to specific display rectangle values corresponding to the graphic overlay transparency.

This way I can achieve nice visual results with zero configuration, nonetheless this may introduce some negligible overscan and aspect ratio inaccuracies, because of the curvature shader and different PAL/NTSC output standards.

8 Likes

i didnā€™t expect much from you except the best :wink: the theme is really gorgeous, love all details you put in your work. The thing that i have trouble with all my themes is the shader curvatureā€¦ dunno if i like or hate it :thinking: but whateverā€¦

When you think about the lack of documentation to do a theme for FS-UAE, the end result is just amazing. GOOD JOB :+1:

2 Likes

Do you think it would be better with an actual ā€œflatā€ variation?

Seriously speaking, looks like I simply canā€™t play anymore without Mega Bezel Reflection Shader. Bare original pixels seem soā€¦ lifeless?! :exploding_head:

6 Likes

your theme is perfect and people who donā€™t like can desactivate the lines in ā€œtheme.confā€ :wink: About me, i canā€™t play retroarch without shaders anymore (@HyperspaceMadness) and in same time, i have the habit to play with FS-UAE but with a ā€œflatā€ version of the themes i got.

a matter of The tastes and colors

yea, itā€™s a bit more ā€œrealisticā€ withā€¦ I think itā€™s mostly a matter of habit

3 Likes

The curved bezel overlay risks to cuts away too many pixels with the curvature shader disabled.

Iā€™ll include a variation with straight and flat overlayā€¦ thanks to Mega Bezels masking features, itā€™s just a ā€œcurvature -> disableā€ step away :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Amazing work you got there man! those PVM/CRT overlays are looking great!

4 Likes

Hi @TheNamec,

It seem that STD_global.slangp refers to MBZ__2__STD.slangp from HSM_MEGA_BEZEL shaders but who donā€™t exist anymore (itā€™s MBZ__3__STD.slangp)

Potato and, Basic are broken too :wink:

Just to fill your note in the theme.conf :

power_led : state 0 can be enable too with the same image but a little darker like as a minimum power supply when you"re ingame (power_led_0 and power_led_1)

hd, and md leds have read(1) / write(2) states

1 Like