TheNamec - Mega Bezel Packs Amiga, Commodore 64, VIC20, CRTgaming soon

@HyperspaceMadness can you give me a little help?

I need a pre-RC version to be available for compatibility with my pack before the 1.0 launch, newcomers can’t get this to work with the latest. Can you post an additional link to the official Mega Bezel thread?

In the past I avoided to include the required MBR shader presets to my pack to avoid altering your download statistics :wink:

3 Likes

@Backspace @TheNamec I had this version from September on my hard drive, it might help

HSM_Bezel_Reflection_V 0.9.023_2021-09-11

I put it up on my Google Drive if it’s needed https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XANWmf1J8KJPDKHDwYIS58B49B5EWhZY/view?usp=sharing

5 Likes

Great find @Neofuuma! I owe you one.

Hope this will help us on the road for Mega Bezel point release :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Thanxx, works like a charm with this pack :+1:

4 Likes

Glad to hear it! Have fun and welcome to the Mega Bezel Community :hugs:

5 Likes

Heya bezellers! So what am I cooking for the next release? Something pretty exciting!

A major overhaul for my CRTs

I’ve been hearing your suggestions and critics and decided to build a variation system with new features for each simulated display. The main concept behind my new variation system leverages on five different factors to deliver a staggering 56 per-screen combinations: :exploding_head:

1. CRT technology: APERTURE GRILLE, DOT MASK, SLOT MASK, PLASMA
  2. Connection cable: RGB and COMPONENT
  3. Visual variations: ENHANCED (scalefx, mdapt), SHARP, SOFT, FAST (potato), MONOCHROME AMBER/GREEN/WHITE
  4. Distance from screen: NEAR, NORMAL, FAR
  5. Ambient lightning: DAY, NIGHT

These five factors are the extreme synthesis of major trends in emulation visuals in conjunction with modern needs and retrogaming tears. If you want crispy, vivid, better-than-original graphics go with RGB ENHANCED. If you prefer a bloomy, softer and bright experience, choose COMPOSITE SOFT. Moreover, each display will now came with monochromatic variants.

Here’s some samples (view full resolution images to enjoy CRT details):

Monochrome Plasma / composite / Sharp @ Commodore 1201

Slot-mask / RGB / Soft @ Commodore 1080

Dot-mask / composite / Soft @ Ikegami htm-1550r

Aperture Grille / RGB / Sharp @ Sony pvm-14l5

While trying to make this chain behemot work fine, I developed a distinct “global” profiles for each CRT technology, so now each device feels more like its real-life counterpart. The final effect is already impressive, as you will be able to taste the “visual feeling” instead of simply choosing a “graphic overlay”.

Now I’ll take some time to better tune each display to make them even more distinct and based on r/crtgaming macro photos. You know, each brand and model had its own flavour, and I have to perfect this by using advanced quality protocols (aka trial and error, day-after testing, references comparison). :nerd_face:

This comes with some technological limitations: first of all, I need to balance visuls for different generations of games to work fine, and some details (like accurate dot-triad shadow masking) simply can’t be reproduced on 1080p. Replicating them by using mask references while zooming at 400% really is a waste of time, resulting in less-than-appealing final visuals (loss of brightness and sharness, general darkness, huge scanlines, moire effect).

I discovered this by… wasting lots of time. No pain, no gain! :wink:

PS: my internal development version is now compatible with latest Mega Bezel Reflection Shader and exploits its new advanced features. :star_struck:

10 Likes

Great to see an update and glad you were able to sort out all the bugs! That’s a lot of variety you’re including there! These two are my favorite out of the 4!

5 Likes

Amazing! I can’t wait!

3 Likes

FS-UAE Amiga Themes released!

I needed a little pause from the Mega Bezel, so I decided to give the finishing touches on the Amiga 1200 Synthwave theme for FS-UAE. I know this is not RetroArch related, but this is a really nice showcase of what we the dynamic overlays we may be able to do with LED and data devices interactivity.

Free download: https://github.com/TheNamec/fsuae-amiga-themes/releases/tag/1.0

MULTI-FLOPPY DATA SIMULATOR (DFx)

The 'data-simulator' adaptor on the left side is equipped with a dot matrix display showing status from DF0, DF1, DF2 and DF3 in real-time, meaning you get LOTS of information about disk activity. 'Data-Simulator' UX is based off IRL Gotek adaptors, hence the codification of disk access and the track count.

On the left: DF0 read access (RA) and track cylinder in real-time

• DISK PRESENCE SWITCHES a row of on-off switches indicates that the floppy unit contains media. If you eject volumes via the FS-UAE menu, you will see the switches toggling position
  • DISK TRACK DISPLAY shows the cylinder currently being read. Empty floppy units will show dashes in place of cylinders number
  • DISK ACCESS NOTIFICATIONS shows the Read Access (RA) and Write Access (WA) for each floppy unit

LED INDICATORS (ODD, HDD, POWER)

LED indicators on the right side give a real-time glimpse of data units and power activity via classic Amiga blinking LEDs.

On the Right: HDD & POWER activity

• HARD DISK (HDD) LED shows reading/writing activity for all of the hard disk units via a blinking LED
  • OPTICAL DISK (ODD) LED shows reading activity for all of the optical disk units via a blinking LED
  • POWER LED shows energy supply status via an on/off LED. Some applications shut the LED off in run-time

AUDIO INDICATOR (HEADPHONES)

Audio indicator is included on the upper part of the 'data-simulator' adaptor on the left side. It's shaped like an headphone and shows three different audio output statuses based on colored lightning.

• NO LIGHT means audio is off, blue light means audio is on
  • YELLOW LIGHT means you're playing an audio CD
  • RED LIGHT means something is not working correctly (ex. empty audio buffer)

POSTPROCESSING & FX

This graphic theme leverages on a mix of FS-UAE rendering effects to achieve a nice retro-feeling. Old displays were not as pixel-perfect and sharp as nowadays LCD/OLED panels, so old graphics assets may benefit from some postprocessing at the expense of minimum CPU/GPU calculation power.

Default theme.conf file includes:

scanlines = 1
scanlines_dark = 6
scanlines_light = 3
shader = curvature
fsaa = 4
texture_filter = nearest

THEME SCALING AND POSITIONING

This graphic theme is hard-coded and tested for 1920x1080 Full HD standard resolution. Amiga content is preset to specific display rectangle values corresponding to the graphic overlay transparency.

This way I can achieve nice visual results with zero configuration, nonetheless this may introduce some negligible overscan and aspect ratio inaccuracies, because of the curvature shader and different PAL/NTSC output standards.

8 Likes

i didn’t expect much from you except the best :wink: the theme is really gorgeous, love all details you put in your work. The thing that i have trouble with all my themes is the shader curvature… dunno if i like or hate it :thinking: but whatever…

When you think about the lack of documentation to do a theme for FS-UAE, the end result is just amazing. GOOD JOB :+1:

2 Likes

Do you think it would be better with an actual “flat” variation?

Seriously speaking, looks like I simply can’t play anymore without Mega Bezel Reflection Shader. Bare original pixels seem so… lifeless?! :exploding_head:

6 Likes

your theme is perfect and people who don’t like can desactivate the lines in “theme.conf” :wink: About me, i can’t play retroarch without shaders anymore (@HyperspaceMadness) and in same time, i have the habit to play with FS-UAE but with a “flat” version of the themes i got.

a matter of The tastes and colors

yea, it’s a bit more “realistic” with… I think it’s mostly a matter of habit

3 Likes

The curved bezel overlay risks to cuts away too many pixels with the curvature shader disabled.

I’ll include a variation with straight and flat overlay… thanks to Mega Bezels masking features, it’s just a “curvature -> disable” step away :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Amazing work you got there man! those PVM/CRT overlays are looking great!

4 Likes

Hi @TheNamec,

It seem that STD_global.slangp refers to MBZ__2__STD.slangp from HSM_MEGA_BEZEL shaders but who don’t exist anymore (it’s MBZ__3__STD.slangp)

Potato and, Basic are broken too :wink:

Just to fill your note in the theme.conf :

power_led : state 0 can be enable too with the same image but a little darker like as a minimum power supply when you"re ingame (power_led_0 and power_led_1)

hd, and md leds have read(1) / write(2) states

1 Like

Just to fill the lack of official documentation! Ahahah thank you so much :love_you_gesture:

Yes this is because of changes in the shaders structure in the latest RC cycle for Mega Bezel Reflection Shaders. This is the main reason because I had to insert the mirror for a previous version.

The stable shader is incoming, I was thinking about publishing an intermediate “hotfix” for my RC2 just for newcomers, but I have to test it against new features (i.e. corner crease) and this would require extra work and less time on RC3. I’ve been quite on a time constraint lately :face_with_head_bandage:

2 Likes

FrodeSolheim talk about a new CDTV/32 memory access state but don’t know if it’s the state 0 of the CD :thinking:

Maybe the parameter ‘md_led_pos’ refers to that? I was not able to trigger it during my tests, so I commented out for future reference…

1 Like

These are awesome, thank you!

Any chance on integrating some of these displays with a mouse/keyboard/full machine in the scene kinda like this?

Kinda to give that “sitting in a room” feeling.

Your Bezeltron Philips tube is my favorite, by the way. I love that old retro 70s vibe it gives off, reminds me of when I was a kid! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for making me consider a second take about importance of extra props in the composition of the “retro scenario”. I was actually inspired by the very same reference photo while building the new “ambient” Amiga 1000 scenario. I love the translucent post-it and the pile of floppies on the external drives, these really add realism to the scene without being distracting! (/me mumbles about props).

• JOYSTICK/MOUSE: I’d say YES. it’s possible and really nice but it should end up on the side, maybe with a moderate occlusion on the monitor frame: I don’t like when overlays end up on the actual gameplay area (with the exception of some historical arcade cabinet decals).

• MOUSE/KEYBOARD: I’d say NO. Objects leaning on the “scenario desk” end up being too low respect to actual monitor in the canonical 16:9/16:10 aspect ratio. In my experimentations I tryed to correct this by moving and shrinking the “scenario screen” around, by this ended up with a reduced gameplay area and unwanted artifacts because of scanlines.

• FULL MACHINE: I’d say SOMETIMES. With vertical machines, like the Amiga 3000T and 4000T (and PCs, WII, XBOX360, PS2-3-4) this may work fine as a recognizable portion of the machine can sit on side. With horizontal machines, the alternatives would be: a) the display ends up covering the machine, with just little details emerging on the sides, or b) the displays leans on the machine keeping IRL proportions, resulting in a really small gameplay area.

That display ends up being pretty modern, being marketed around 2014 as one of the latest 4:3 flat ultraslim CRT! I’m happy you like it.

I need to add some more TV to the pack, they have that extra vibe for console retrogaming. What about a JVC D-SERIES?

5 Likes