Tip: Move favorites file to create a custom playlist

What I’d like to see in RA is a function like : “Add to Playlist…” -> select playlist from list

@c9f5fdda06 Desktop menu does not help much in this situation, right? I think there is no “drag & drop” from a playlist to another one, am I missing something?

3 Likes

I see what is being advocated now. Good workaround!

1 Like

This is very useful, What a great trick!

1 Like

With the newest RetroArch 1.19 update, this is finally added! We no longer need this workaround. But you have to enable it (at least in my case), because it was disabled for me at:

Settings > User Interface > Menu Item Visibility > Quick Menu > Show ‘Add to Playlist’ = ON

I’m so happy, thank you RetroArch/Libretro team!

5 Likes

updating… :partying_face:

EDIT:

Quick test -> works like a charm!

2 Likes

Just made a playlist of shoot em ups for FBNeo: 175 handpicked STGs, the bests plus some classics according to my taste!

download here

to add this playlist you need to place it in ../retroarch main folder/playlists/ folder and also replace 2 lines using something like notepad++ (Search -> Replace…).

E:\\PATH\\TO\\FBNEO\\ROMSET

Replace this line(s) with your path to Fbneo Romset:

ie. D:\\Emu\\Roms\\FBneo\\Arcade

and

E:\\PATH\\TO\\RETROARCH

Replace this line(s) with your path to Retroarch main folder

ie. C:\\Emulation\\Retroarch

Also you can add icons, with the same name of the playlist, for playlist and content in your assets directory.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

This is awesome, I really like custom playlists with a specific focus. And I just had to try my script to import playlists out and … it failed (I’m a Linux user and paths are different here, plus things like core extension). Now its updated to handle Windows paths too: RetroArch Import Playlist (Python script) (but no idea if it works under Windows itself). BTW I named your playlist “Arcade_Custom - STGs - Hari-82.lpl”, which shows up under my Arcade lists and as “STGs - Hari-82”.

I imported your STG playlist and you went all in with 175 entries. It’s a nice list to go through. Now that my emulation setup is ready again, I can dive back into Arcades. :slight_smile: Curious to see whats in there. Hopefully more people will create custom lists with their own taste and ideas.

Edit: Here is a playlists I created earlier: 150 Uncommon Arcade Games

Edit v2.0: Have a look at kingdmgp.zip - “Kingdom Grandprix (World)” . It’s an unusual Shmup (or STG as you call it). And fun fact, both composers for this game are also music composers for Final Fantasy Tactics.

1 Like

Yeah custom playlist are a nice way to explore libraries and discover new games, I’ll try to import your list later today!

Yes, that is in my list as: Shippu Mahou Daisakusen, is the second entry in the serie: the first one is Mahou Daisakusen (highly reccommended, very fun and not extremely difficult) also first game by Rizing that later will develop many staple of the genre like Battle Garegga!

EDIT:

I successfully imported your list with just few line replacing! vey interesting list, may games I didn’t know at all and also some shmups that I didn’t included in my list!

I think in the next few days/weeks I will create some more genre focused playlists, I already have a small fighting games list and I might do a beat em up and maybe run 'n gun / platformers and single screen style games (ie. bubble bobble).

1 Like

I made 2 more playlists for fighting games and beat em ups with most classics and the best for the genre according to my taste, those playlist are not as big as the shmups one but it can be a good starting point!

Download here

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I will look into it later.

Edit: (Redacted)

1 Like

I think is a good idea!

not sure how to do that tho…

will be sharing more playlists here as I make em in the meanwhile

Today I have recreated the Nintendo Switch Online Classic offerings as playlists. A new post dedicated to sharing playlists will be created and a Github repository as a better place for sharing those lists. Idea is to have a consistent filenames and paths, so one could easily batch replace them regardless from where the lists come from. Therefore all paths are replaced in the form of:

"path": "$roms/gb/BurgerTime Deluxe (World).gb"
"core_path": "$cores/sameboy_libretro.so"

so its easier to replace them. Also each playlist will have their own readme file with additional notes (in example why a certain version) or general description what this playlist is about.

We could teach people how to edit and adapt the files or even provide scripts and programs to automate this process. Any ideas and comments are appreciated. Maybe I am over thinking this very niche things.

1 Like

Sounds good!

{
      "version": "1.5",
      "default_core_path": "",
      "default_core_name": "",
      "label_display_mode": 0,
      "right_thumbnail_mode": 0,
      "left_thumbnail_mode": 0,
      "thumbnail_match_mode": 0,
      "sort_mode": 0,
      "items": [
        {
          "path": "$roms/gb/BurgerTime Deluxe (World).gb",
          "label": "BurgerTime Deluxe (World)",
          "core_path": "$cores/sameboy_libretro.so",
          "core_name": "Sameboy (don't remember)",
          "crc32": "00000000|crc",
          "db_name": "Nintendo - Game Boy.lpl"
        }
      ]
    }

Something like this? leaving the first part mostly blank so that just 2 lines must be replaced.

Exactly. However for playlists with multiple systems it gets little bit more involved. In example when we have a Mega Man list of all games, then one need to replace each individual system, when not using an automated script.

Yes, multiple systems playlists are going to be very difficult to manage…

BTW we can also have DETECT and default for the cores, like in this:

{
  "version": "1.5",
  "default_core_path": "$cores/fbneo_libretro.so",
  "default_core_name": "Arcade (FinalBurn Neo)",
  "label_display_mode": 0,
  "right_thumbnail_mode": 2,
  "left_thumbnail_mode": 0,
  "sort_mode": 0,
  "items": [
    {
      "path": "$roms/fbneo/avspirit.zip",
      "label": "Avenging Spirit",
      "core_path": "DETECT",
      "core_name": "DETECT",
      "crc32": "6707417D|crc",
      "db_name": "FBNeo - Arcade Games.lpl"
    },
  ]
}

The "core_path": "DETECT" will then use the default for the playlist at "default_core_path": "$cores/fbneo_libretro.so" , which means this needs to be edited in only one place. This makes is much more simple and clear to edit. But multi systems are still a pain (if its not automated, my script automates this, no issues there :wink: ).

that’s right, in this way there are even less lines to replace.

Would be nice to have a “default_content_path” to make it even easier!

I think that there are many single system playlists that can be made, so I think I will be focused on them for the time being!

1 Like

So here is the first attempt: RetroArch Community Playlists

1 Like

Where are all these playlists reside? Is it in the same space as the settings, favorites, etc? Or can RA do sub-lists now?

No, its the same level of all other playlists. No sub-level or -directory structure for playlists yet. Would be great for organization (looking at my 185 playlists right now…).