Very strange problem in bsnes Accuracy

When games fade to black in order to load, the black overlay is semi-transparent, and I can see games setting up the scene.

For example, in Mega Man X3, when I leave the pause menu, normally there should be a black screen while the action screen loads in. Instead, I see a semi-transparent black, while underneath it, the game loads in assets and arranges them onscreen.

Or, in FF3, I can watch as the objects and the backdrop for an area are panned into place before the scene is properly revealed.

Have you updated the core?

I second that. A known issue that could cause visual corruption was fixed 4 days ago. Another tweak to that fix was made yesterday.

EDIT: A (very) quick test of FF3 with the latest version revealed no errors.

I also tested Megaman X3 and didn’t see the issue posted.

I believe what you’re seeing is intended behavior. That stuff was actually there on hardware, you just couldn’t see it without turning up your TV’s brightness.

I took a screenshot during the black transition from closing the pause menu in Megaman X3 and just ‘auto leveled’ it. There actually is stuff there. :o I can just barely notice it if I look at my screen from a certain angle.

That’s really, really wild, but it does make sense.

I switched to Full RGB recently (well, re-switched, as driver updates love to revert settings).

Aside from this inconvenient truth, I also read that the current Nvidia driver 372.54 is broken, indiscriminately producing bad effects. On the remote chance that it’s related, would someone without NV hardware care to confirm this behavior as well?

Thanks a ton for the responses, guys. This was really bothering me.

Hunterk is correct. There was controversy surrounding byuu implementing this properly back when he implemented this in bsnes. That is, many people disagreed that an emulator should do it. However, in the interest of accuracy, byuu did it anyway.

For the record, I personally remember this when playing SNES a lot in my childhood: that the screen would never completely fade to black. It is accurate behavior, even if many understandably consider it undesirable.