BSNES shows me things I should not see

I am having a slight problem with the BSNES core. I always use the balanced profile and it does not matter wheter I use the regular or mercury version.

The problem is that during screens that should be black I can see what is already rendered in the background. This is very noticable during RPG openings like that of Final Fantasy 6. I can see the landscape and text fading in when the screen should be black. In Seiken Densetsu 3 before the character selection shows up I can see a bunch of weird shapes and colors when the screen should be black.

This does happen even when I don’t have a shader selected but it does not show anymore when I use the crt-royale-kurozumi shader that was bundled with Retroarch 1.5.0 but the one that was bundled with 1.6.0 does not help. When I use the 1.5.0 version and switch off integer scale the problem occurs anyway.

I have activated/deactivated vsync, hard gpu sync and integer scale to see if it changes anything but it didn’t. Integer scale is usually on. I am playing on a 60hz 16:10 display in case this is relevant.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

That’s how the SNES worked.

It is not. I have an original SNES and played a ton of games on pretty much every emulator for the past 15 years. None of them ever had these display errors, including the standalone higan emulator on it’s accuracy profile.

Go back to your SNES, pick out the game, turn the brightness up on your TV, and try it again.

Ok, but why does the 1.5.0 version of crt-royale-kurozumi get rid of it while the 1.6.0 version does not? Other shaders like crt-geom also do not show this. I am using crt-aperture for all home consoles. The picture is not too bright, why am I still seeing this? There must be a way to fix this when the older royale shader can do it.

It’s just black crush. A lot of CRT shaders darken the image in a way that pushes dark greys into black. Kurozumi has made a number of changes to his settings to minimize exactly that.

Thanks to both of you for pointing this out. That’s really a pity. Until now I was a big fan of BSNES/Higan but this completely ruins the affected games for me. I guess I’ll switch to Snes9x then.