VICE x64/xvic: Ability to switch joy ports

Am I correct in assuming that the Nuklear GUI is what’s currently used to swap the joyports? I’m looking to see what needs to be changed to both make a core option to swap joyports (for games that want joyport 0), as well as some logic to ensure that the retropad is mapped to joyport 0 for the VIC-20 (as it nominally only has one joyport).

-Thom

I think that core is @r-type’s work. If he doesn’t respond here, you might try pinging him on github.

Yup, it is… just wanted to keep the discussion public. :slight_smile:

-Thom

you can do it via nuklear gui or use "" on kpad ( case RETROK_KP_MULTIPLY: // '’ on keypad: toggle current joy port ) or with the virtual kbd (joy virtual key) or using L2 (joypad) …

Whenever I open Nuklear GUI, C64 emulation freezes. Can’t close it but can enter Retroarch menu. Whenever I open on-screen keyboard, the only think I can do is to close it. No key can be pressed. Have same issue with VICE core on Windows, Linux and Android.

Any hints?

No idea , but i have tested with linux and windows (with wine) the last build and it work fine for me (nuklear gui+virtualkbd).

OK I’ll test it on Linux but so far I tried on 2 different PCs (both x64 and x86 versions of 1.6.9 as well as latest nightly build) and on 2 different Android tablets. Same result on all of them. If it works for you then most likely there’s something I’m doing wrong here.

Question: what’s the difference between joystick/keyboard selection in the Options menu and VICE Joystick/VICE Keyboard in the Input menu?

It seems that I can trigger keyboard with Y button on the pad and Nuklear GUI with SLECT button on the pad or with ENTER key on the keyboard. For this to work I have to select either VICE Joystick in the Input menu or Joystick in the Options menu. Anyway, in any case emulation freezes once N-GUI is open. I can open & close OSKeyb but none of the keys work. If I enable info bar then I can see joystick port assignment and I can change it with joystick.

Could this have something to do with VICE config file?

Sorry to bug you again. Have tried VICE on my Ubuntu build and by accident have found, that virtual keyboard and Nuklear GUI works but with mouse only. I went back to Windows and found out the same (I’m able to make changes using both N-GUI and VK). Is mouse necessary to make use VK and N-GUI or should it work with joypad as well? The only change I’m doing in the RetroArch is change of the controller from the RetroPad to the VICE Joystick.