Ways to reduce screen flickering on a CRT TV? (PS3)

I’ve noticed this mainly in the Genesis Plus GX core with games that have a lot of dithering. There’s a very noticeable flicker in the dithered areas. There’s also bit more flickering than ‘normal’ (ie, real hardware) in the other cores I’ve tried.

I’m using the latest RetroArch for PS3 on a CRT TV over composite cables. I’ve confirmed that this issue isn’t present on original hardware or even in other console-based emulators on the same TV (ie, NeoGenesis for Xbox).

Which settings should I be looking at to try to minimize this?

EDIT: I believe the specific effect I’m experiencing is “line moire”. There’s an animated graphic here:

I think what you’re seeing is 480i interlacing flicker, which doesn’t occur at 240p but I don’t think the PS3 can output 240p.

Thank you for the response and information.

I did find a bit of a workaround to eliminate the flickering completely, although it results in a slightly blurred image. Just go into Genesis Plus GX core options and set “Blargg NTSC Filter” to “Composite”.

I wonder also if this means a “less-filtered” setting within Blargg NTSC Filters could eliminate the flickering without the loss in visual quality.