Weird MAME control issue

Hi everyone,

Have abit of a weird issue I am facing with MAME.

System OS: Linux Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS Latest version of Retroarch Core: MAME 2016

I am using a keyboard USB encoder that is connecting my sanwa buttons and joystick to the computer. In Retroarch, the devices are being detected as a DragonRise N64 controller. This would be the company that made the encoder I gather.

I have mapped the controller within Retroarch and this works as expected. I have loaded a few cores on to handle a few different systems.

NES: Mesen SNES: Snes9x Dreamcast: Flycast Mega Drive: Genesis Plus GX Playstation: Beetle PSX MAME: MAME 2016 Neo Geo: FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo

All of the controls in all the cores work perfectly fine accept for MAME 2016.

An image shows a thousand words. for simplicity, say I am playing a side scroller. To move right, it is actually a top right joystick movement. To go left, it is a bottom left joystick movement. To jump is top left and to crouch is bottom right.

Troubleshooting:

I have used the keyboard as it is bind and the arrow keys work as expected. I have also downloaded and compiled the correct MAME for the roms and tested MAME stand alone and mapped the controllers and they work fine as expected. All other cores within Retroarch work find and as expected.

I have also tried another MAME core within Retroarch with the same issue happening. I have search around and unable to find anyone with the same issue. I have two of these encoders and it is the same on both but only within MAME.

Any help or direction on this would be really awesome, I hope I have included as much detail as I can.

8-way

I don’t know what would do that, but do you have “analog to digital type” set to anything in settings > input > user 1 binds? It’s a common culprit for weird input behavior.

Thanks for your reply. I have that set to none in the menu and core. I am at a loss as well. I find it very strange that it is only happening in the MAME core within Retroarch only.

But I am still trying other things and not giving up.

Thanks again.