Where are the log files on PC?

Hi, Please forgive me if I’m missing the obvious but I’ve searched and searched and found nothing. I’m having problems with Retroarch stopping/crashing sometimes and would like to read the output on the screen but… I can’t find any log files for it.

The window closes too fast to see what it is saying. I’m using the Windows/PC version of Retroarch.

Does anyone know where the log files are or how to enable them… or to capture screen output?

Thanks.

I’m not on Windows at the moment, so I can’t tell you where the log file is exactly, but it’s easy enough to launch retroarch from the command line like this:

retroarch -v -L /path/to/libretro.dll -c /path/to/config.cfg romname.ext

Any errors will be printed in the console.

To get a log file, dump stderr to a file using

retroarch.exe <command> 2>log.txt

Furthermore, for convenience, here is a full command line for logging retroarch in verbose mode and running RGUI as would run by default without any command line options:

retroarch -v --menu 2>log.txt

I’m posting this to hopefully help someone else because it took me a while to figure out how to do this.

1 Like

Sorry for the blanet rule voilation but you have the forum so locked down to an unhelpful amd harmful to new users. Even ones trying to help.

Logan from tek sydicate is stealing your software.

Yeah, we’re aware of it. He even has a blog post talking about how he thinks it’s okay and we’re the assholes.

All he did was replace our branding with his. >_>