Why is Desmume so slow?

Desmume standalone works fine but in Retroarch I get 45 fps (it’s still slow with gpu hard sync off) which makes the game slow and the audio crackle like crazy. Why is this? :c

Have you tried setting the CPU mode to JIT in the core options?

It alreay was. I tried changing a bunch of core op Options but no success. Might it just be more demanding than standalone because it’s a libretro port?

libretro ports are typically very close to standalone in performance, if not better. Are you using the hardware-accelerated fork, by chance? the libretro port is software-rendered only.

I haven’t had any issues with speed on my iPhone 6+. They’ve done very good with this imo.

Desmumme core for PC works fine, but for Android is really slow , is there an hardware-accelerated fork for android?

Fps problem seems to be audio related, changing audio driver to openal seems to have worked around the problem for me. I haven’t done any further testing.

Take a look at this: https://github.com/libretro/desmume/issues/14, so if you get less fps on desktop, it’s a known issue related to audio.

And desmume doesn’t have a dynarec (JIT) for ARM hardware, so you can’t run it smoothly on [most] android devices.

uuuhm, I’m not sure what that means :c

I got RetroArch_1.2_R2, Desmume SVN core.

[QUOTE=sergio-br2;25715]Take a look at this: https://github.com/libretro/desmume/issues/14, so if you get less fps on desktop, it’s a known issue related to audio.

And desmume doesn’t have a dynarec (JIT) for ARM hardware, so you can’t run it smoothly on [most] android devices.[/QUOTE]

Aah, disabling rewind and gpu sync did the trick. Thanks :D. I would’ve never thought of rewind.

edit: GPU Sync and Mario 64 DS actually seems to work fine, so the rewind is just super intensive :stuck_out_tongue:

Anything 3D with rewind is super intensive (skinner!!!) compared to anything in 2D,I was amazed to see it actually work in the mupen64plus core. Otherwise,some harder to emulate 2D systems might have bad luck and also run slow with rewind enabled,especially when using a stronger shader. Yeah,on Android I consistently have terrible crackle and wished it didn’t,if you try the free nds4droid with dual async,the sound quality is heavenly.

Yeah, my lag on Mame was caused by rewind as well. Pretty intense, but when possible a very useful feature. However, while MAME runs full speed now, I still have audio crackling issues in that one. Can anyone help?

So I see what you’re saying now with it being slow. Some games work fine some don’t. I finally got Pokemon heart gold running with the nightly core for iOS. It runs at 45 or so fps with rewind and sync off. I also set cores to 2. Any other ideas or is the slow down simply because it’s not an official stable core?

heh, I only tested Super Mario 64 and Rhythm Heaven, but this was PC. Speaking of mame, it seems like turning limit maximum run speed off makes it less bad (although it still happens too much) but the thing is, then retroarchs menus go in crazy speeds, making them hard to navigate. Also, tab does not bring up mames menu, and since I updated Retroarch’s the screen’s all blurry, asif bilinear filtering is enabled.

edit: Okay, Warioware touched is stuttering sometimes. Although the fps counter keeps saying 60… edit: DS Games seem to work, it’s just that the audio sometimes stutters.

Sound sync issues and lack of dynarec for ARM (your iPhone right?), like I said before?

Uh, I thought there was no dynarec for ARM, but it seems there, although I don’t know the state of it. Also, you need to jailbreak your iOS to run it anyway.

So, is there any way to get desmume and mame to work on pc without any audio issurs or stuttering, like in the standalone versions?

I don’t have a lot of experience with desmume, but MAME works fine for me on linux and win64 with no crackles or stutters.

There is some kind of audio_batch_cb related bottleneck in Desmume right now that makes things slower than it should.

Somebody (when he/she has time) should be able to look at this, find out the root of the cause, and fix it.

I was in Windows at that moment, I’ll see if it works on Linux some other time. When the Frame throttle limit thing is on in Retroarch’s settings, Arkanoid goes apeshit, it crackles every half a second. When I turn it off I get regular audio crackling problems. Thing is, when I turn it off, the Retroarch menus run so fast they’re hard to use :c. I think it’s because I forced Vsync off in Nvidia settings, but I don’t want to use Vsync. On Linux the Vsync is fine because kms, but on Windows I really want to avoid it.

Standalone mame with Sync monitor to refresh and throttle on is perfect :smiley:

When the Frame throttle limit thing is on in Retroarch’s settings, Arkanoid goes apeshit, it crackles every half a second. When I turn it off I get regular audio crackling problems. Thing is, when I turn it off, the Retroarch menus run so fast they’re hard to use :c.

VSync disabled, how do you expect this to work?

Anyway if you are not vsynced, start mame, then go to core options and change throttle there.