(Wii) mGBA core executing almost 100% fast

Decreasing audio buffer seems to fix almost completely the slow and laggy gba emulation with mGBA core on Nintendo Wii.

Changes on github:

Already compiled, tested, and I can say for sure this is the best gba emulator for the Wii thanks to the coder Endrift.

As I said days ago on the 1.2.2 bug thread, any gba core for Wii is not loading large roms (32 mb). I hope this can be fixed soon.

Edit: Make sure to edit manually the file “mgba_libretro_wii.dol.cfg”, change the audio out rate to 32000.

From this: audio_out_rate = “48000”

To this: audio_out_rate = “32000”

Have fun!

Updated post with download link to mgba libretro wii core

https://anonfiles.com/file/47f50e75f7a62dd34423036ee562e00e

Where do I get the file “mgba_libretro_wii.dol”? Thanks (Y)

I added it to the buildbot now but RetroArch is failing to build so you;ll have to wait a few more days I guess

[QUOTE=retrogamer;27600]Edit: Make sure to edit manually the file “mgba_libretro_wii.dol.cfg”, change the audio out rate to 32000.

From this: audio_out_rate = “48000”

To this: audio_out_rate = “32000”

Have fun![/QUOTE]

As I’ve just wrote, changing audio rate from 48k to 32k dramatically improves all cores (especially SNES SuperFX games). It’s strange since older versions didn’t need this “optimization”…

[QUOTE=mehzemo;27615]As I’ve just wrote, changing audio rate from 48k to 32k dramatically improves all cores (especially SNES SuperFX games). It’s strange since older versions didn’t need this “optimization”…[/QUOTE]

That’s right, but SFX games (Yoshi’s Island) are slow (at least the intro and some parts in the game) if the overclock setting is activated, even at 40 mhz. In retroarch 1.0.0.2 that issue is out of question. mGBA needs the audio buffer samples lower than default setting (1024), audio out rate helped a little bit but the emulation was really unstable even at 32000khz, but now is working really fine.

Updated first post with the download link.

Did you apply the tweak for Wii in the main streamline of the code? I gave a quick look and I don’t see any pullrequest or merge with it… it would be great to have it by default :wink:

Maybe it will need some extra work to make it available just for the Wii platform and leave it untouched for the other… not sure if the others will benefit from this.

Thank you for the download link :slight_smile:

Yeah, overclock feature in 1.2.x is completely broken. 32k audio rate helps A LOT for me in SuperFX games: Stunt Race FX 32k has 57fps~60fps while 48k often drops at 45fps or less!

[QUOTE=netux79;27625]Did you apply the tweak for Wii in the main streamline of the code? I gave a quick look and I don’t see any pullrequest or merge with it… it would be great to have it by default :wink:

Maybe it will need some extra work to make it available just for the Wii platform and leave it untouched for the other… not sure if the others will benefit from this.[/QUOTE]

No, I added it as is.

Has the standalone Wii port’s audio been improved (as in, more crackling reduction)? Wonder why 32 MB ROMs are broken in the RA core.

Yes, mostly, but it doesn’t have usb support I think.

USB support shouldn’t be the reason why the RA core doesn’t load 32 MB ROMs, as the standalone Wii port loads them fine off of SD cards. I just wonder if, since the RA core for this emulator can have reduced crackling, the same should be plausible for the standalone. Unfortunately, there’s no guide for compiling it on Windows.

Yeah you are right, but what I meant was that the standalone version does not have usb support for now. Even though loading roms from SD works like charm.

The standalone version loads from sd or usb.

Really? I couldn’t load any roms from usb :frowning: but from sd works fine.

Launching the dol file from usb works for loading roms from usb

Thank you :slight_smile: I’m gonna try it

If only the standalone port had the same fixed audio as the RA core, because 256 megabit ROMs still fail to load, it seems, that’s the only thing preventing me from wanting to try it. Couldn’t the same changes for audio buffer size be implemented in the lone Wii version like it was int he RA core? Only problem is no Windows compilation guide for mGBA Wii. -_- Otherwise I’d be willing to take a crack at further improving audio for it, you know?

With the standalone version we are talking about the wii port, the retroarch core is apart and it loads from sd or usb no matter what and yes mgba libretro has broken 32 mb roms support. Decreasing the audio buffer samples works for the RA core, it’s only a tweak, for the standalone it works strangely different, no real beneffit from it, on the contrary, the audio crackling fix from endrift is the best solution right now. Someone posted something about compiling from Windows on the mgba forum, we can ask to endrift if he/she can provide a guide for compiling.