Wii/NGC Nightly discussion thread

Wii/NGC nightlies are now available. Please report any issues, suggestions and any other feedback here.

http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/wii/ http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/ngc/

Known issues:

• Reset OP

Relevant changes:

• Reset OP
7 Likes

Is there a list of known outstanding Wii issues you can direct me to so that I don’t clutter up the thread with things you already know about?

If not, I’ll start listing what I’ve found, though currently I can only provide meaningful feedback on FCEUMM as I have no experience with the other CORE provided (nxengine).

Re-download, there are lots of cores there now in the same build Also it’s working alright here, fceumm doesn’t like the “browse” option on zips but other than that it works fine.

Add your issues here and I will do my best to confirm them and report them.

Is the gpsp core supposed to work?

1 Like

Why is there a gpsp core, will the Wii be able to run GBA games at better speeds now? Can we simply copy the core into 1.0.0.2 instead of using the nightly core?

1 Like

OK, here’s what I’ve encountered so far with 2015-03-08_RetroArch.7z. I nuke the config folder each time I load a new nightly.

[ol] [li]CORE resolution settings don’t seem to stick. You can save a configuration (512x240) but when you load a ROM it reverts to 640x480. If this is intended behaviour, it would be nice to be able to override it. [/li][li]Options - Video Options - first option - the first word is garbled and characters alternate. It looks like “TüW[alternating character]om Ratio” [/li][li]Choosing “Shader Options” while in game will lock you out of the menu, and you can’t re-enter it (it returns to game right after entering the menu). [/li][li]I can’t seem to select my connected Gamecube controller. As soon as I tick down to “Wii Controller” it locks, and the only thing I can do is pop the menu on and off–all other keys don’t work. [/li][li]At some point RetroArch stopped loading my USB drive. Rebooting didn’t bring it back. Unplugging and replugging it in didn’t bring it back. Nuking the Retroarch folder on my SD card and forcing it to make new cfg files didn’t bring it back. The drive still loads up with older versions of Retroarch on the same Wii. Color me confused. [/li][/ol]

1 Like

Not sure about gpsp, it compiled so I included it, you won’t know till you test it. I get crashes after loading a second game in fceumm, haven’t tested any other core so far.

1 Like

[QUOTE=Radius;19880]Not sure about gpsp, it compiled so I included it, you won’t know till you test it. I get crashes after loading a second game in fceumm, haven’t tested any other core so far.[/QUOTE]

Well, if it gets better speed than VBA Next, then I’ll use it more :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t think it will work, it’s just there because it built correctly, it won’t be there for long

1 Like

[QUOTE=Radius;19829] Known issues:

• FCEumm crashes after loading a second game (confirmation needed)[/QUOTE]

I am not seeing this behaviour. I have just loaded 3 ROMs consecutively without crashing. Settings are in .sig.

1 Like

Request: Along with the current refresh rate, could RetroArch briefly display the currently selected resolution? Until (if ever) the resolution settings are stored in the .cfg it’s a good reminder I’m not running at native resolution when I load up a ROM.

Bug?

“Restart RetroArch” does nothing.

Bleh, I was hoping for faster GBA emulation with either core, guess games like Golden Sun 2 and Mother 3 will never run full speed. And no, timing is still impossible to achieve with Mother 3’s unique battle system, as it still runs slow (so do Final Fantasies IV through VI, framerate drops drastically in-battle). So much for that hope.

You can always grab the 07/03 nightly

Why would I want that? It’s super outdated and not as good as 1.0.0.2 lol. Let’s face it, GBA emulation will never achieve full speed on the Wii because it’s not powerful enough. I might as well give up hope.

07/03/2015, that one has the gPSP core. How is 1.0.0.2 better than yesterday’s nightly?

[QUOTE=Radius;19901]07/03/2015, that one has the gPSP core. How is 1.0.0.2 better than yesterday’s nightly?[/QUOTE]

Certain parts of the world treat date formatting differently. I assume there is a mixup between the expectation of month/day/year and the format you provided, day/month(year absent).

[QUOTE=Radius;19901]07/03/2015, that one has the gPSP core. How is 1.0.0.2 better than yesterday’s nightly?[/QUOTE]

Damn, sorry, date/year mix up, my mistake. I thought it was old for some reason. I don’t know if/when this core’s use will be more widespread, if it’s a one-time thing because that’s what I’m afraid of. Should the test go will, what guarantee do we have that it can be put to more use?

If it works I can reinclude it. I don’t think it’s been looked at to be endian safe so it might not work at all, and if I leave it there and it doesn’t work we’ll get many “doesn’t work” reports

[QUOTE=Radius;19917]If it works I can reinclude it. I don’t think it’s been looked at to be endian safe so it might not work at all, and if I leave it there and it doesn’t work we’ll get many “doesn’t work” reports[/QUOTE]

I can test it out for sure, I just had my sights set high because I would love to see full speed in even more GBA games, but given the Wii’s hardware, I don’t know if it’s feasible to make games like Golden Sun 2 to run full speed.