Wii/NGC Nightly discussion thread

Wii/NGC nightlies are now available. Please report any issues, suggestions and any other feedback here.

http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/wii/ http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/ngc/

Known issues:

• Reset OP

Relevant changes:

• Reset OP
5 Likes

Is there a list of known outstanding Wii issues you can direct me to so that I don’t clutter up the thread with things you already know about?

If not, I’ll start listing what I’ve found, though currently I can only provide meaningful feedback on FCEUMM as I have no experience with the other CORE provided (nxengine).

Is the gpsp core supposed to work?

Why is there a gpsp core, will the Wii be able to run GBA games at better speeds now? Can we simply copy the core into 1.0.0.2 instead of using the nightly core?

OK, here’s what I’ve encountered so far with 2015-03-08_RetroArch.7z. I nuke the config folder each time I load a new nightly.

[ol] [li]CORE resolution settings don’t seem to stick. You can save a configuration (512x240) but when you load a ROM it reverts to 640x480. If this is intended behaviour, it would be nice to be able to override it. [/li][li]Options - Video Options - first option - the first word is garbled and characters alternate. It looks like “TüW[alternating character]om Ratio” [/li][li]Choosing “Shader Options” while in game will lock you out of the menu, and you can’t re-enter it (it returns to game right after entering the menu). [/li][li]I can’t seem to select my connected Gamecube controller. As soon as I tick down to “Wii Controller” it locks, and the only thing I can do is pop the menu on and off–all other keys don’t work. [/li][li]At some point RetroArch stopped loading my USB drive. Rebooting didn’t bring it back. Unplugging and replugging it in didn’t bring it back. Nuking the Retroarch folder on my SD card and forcing it to make new cfg files didn’t bring it back. The drive still loads up with older versions of Retroarch on the same Wii. Color me confused. [/li][/ol]

Sadly gpsp is not working… I put the correct gba bios in the system folder but when I load a game it just stay in a white screen and nothing happens.

Points to my previous assumptions about GBA emulation on the Wii being forever lackluster Sustained.

Any new Neo Geo games (large roms) working with the latest FBA Neo Geo core?

Does anyone else have an issue on the Wii U where it won’t go above 240 in progressive? 480i seems to be the max allowed for screen resolution. Any progressive res above 240 doesn’t even show up as an option. I am connected via HDMI to a Samsung Plasma screen at 1080p.

EDIT: I downloaded the new nightly (2015-03-08) and the resolution is no longer displayed as interlaced or progressive so I assume that its all progressive now.

Does anyone know if netplay is a possibility on the Wii? Preferably cross-platform. If so, I’d love to see it implemented in a future nightly.

[QUOTE=Crosis47;19979]Does anyone else have an issue on the Wii U where it won’t go above 240 in progressive? 480i seems to be the max allowed for screen resolution. Any progressive res above 240 doesn’t even show up as an option. I am connected via HDMI to a Samsung Plasma screen at 1080p.

EDIT: I downloaded the new nightly (2015-03-08) and the resolution is no longer displayed as interlaced or progressive so I assume that its all progressive now.[/QUOTE]

The Wii U doesn’t allow for 240p resolution, 480i is the lowest it will go due to how the video is encoded. Your best bet would be an original Wii, really though, there aren’t any advantages to using it on the Wii U as it’s just a virtual machine you’re running it on (Wii mode).

Cool to see that Wii nightlies are finally coming up. I gave this one a test on my regular modded Wii, using the Club Nintendo Super Famicom pad as a controller through a regular Wiimote. I’m testing on a CRT using the Wii component cables. I tested the snes9x and snes9x-next cores.

A few issues right off the bat:

• It seems the controller disconnects quite often. When the program starts, when you change cores, when you load a game. Minor inconvenience, but this didn’t used to happen as often.
  • Changing the resolution seems to slowly corrupt something (memory?) This was easy to reproduce in both cores that I tested. The default resolution would be fine, changing to another would be alright but some of the background of the ui would look out of sorts, and then as you kept changing resolutions the screen would start scaling incorrectly on the vertical axis until it becomes pretty much unusable. Going back to the original resolution usually wouldn’t fix it once it got really bad.

Also, a smaller, but strange issue:

• In both snes9x and snes9x-next cores anything that was in a red palette appeared blue. Like, not even just one shade, but explosions looked like explosions, but they were blue. Some other colours could have been wrong as well, but it was difficult to tell over the lack of red.

I also had some problems with everything running very slowly, until I played with the refresh rate. Something I pressed A on in the config changed the refresh to ~30hz, and then everything seemed to run full(ish) speed. I didn’t play around with this much though. It was difficult to properly to test since the refresh moved in increments of 1hz, and it would have taken hours to put it back to ~60hz, or whatever it was originally. I’m hoping that a lot of these really technical settings are just in here for debug and will just get auto-configured and hidden in the text based configs at some point.

I was worried about 480p as 240p was a working option. I know that with the Wii U up-scaling the output, it is best to run in 480p with scan-line overlays to get some semblance of retro goodness. The problem was that 240p was the highest it would allow in progressive on retroarch for some reason. I was using the unofficial nightly posted in the forum at the time so I think that is why I was having an issue.

BTW the Wii U in vWii mode is capable of a 240p signal over component when set to 480i in the system settings. It does so on VC titles when you enable 240p in them (http://retrorgb.com/wiivsclassic.html). I just don’t have a CRT so this is useless for me.

I’m seeing problems with the FBA core and the 03-13-2015 nightly. Haven’t had a chance to downgrade and check on any previous days, but any CPS1 or 2 game I’ve tried has failed, where they used to load successfully on the previous official release.

Are you sure about this? I haven’t tried it myself, but this runs contrary to most of what I’ve heard and read.

[QUOTE=ioev;20318]Thanks, that worked great.

I did a bit more testing, and it seems the resolution corruption, the blue palette, this only starts after loading a second game. The first game loaded fine, refresh rate was ~60hz, was able to set resolutions to my hearts content, no blue colours. I loaded a second game, and the resolution seemed to change, even though it was the same as what I had set it to in the menus. The colour was all blue and messed up (it’s not just the blues, the whole palette is out of whack) and when I changed the resolution everything became corrupted and I wasn’t able to do anything after that.

Specifically, I loaded “Cybernator” (SNES game) using the auto-detect core feature, which worked fine, then I loaded Super Mario World in the same core, and everything became messed up. This was using the same build I was testing before (the one available on March 12th).[/QUOTE]

I duplicated your procedure on 2015-03-08_RetroArch.7z and do not have this issue. I used .smc files for ROMS though.

Whoops–just saw you had newer than that. Tried again with 2015-03-13. I do now see graphical glitching of the menu when changing resolutions that I didn’t on 2015-03-08, but can’t duplicate your blue palette problem. My resolution changes back to 640x480 with every ROM I load.

[QUOTE=ioev;20318]I did a bit more testing, and it seems the resolution corruption, the blue palette, this only starts after loading a second game. The first game loaded fine, refresh rate was ~60hz, was able to set resolutions to my hearts content, no blue colours. I loaded a second game, and the resolution seemed to change, even though it was the same as what I had set it to in the menus. The colour was all blue and messed up (it’s not just the blues, the whole palette is out of whack) and when I changed the resolution everything became corrupted and I wasn’t able to do anything after that.

Specifically, I loaded “Cybernator” (SNES game) using the auto-detect core feature, which worked fine, then I loaded Super Mario World in the same core, and everything became messed up. This was using the same build I was testing before (the one available on March 12th).[/QUOTE] What you describe is essentially what happens when you start a dol in 240p. Check out this tool someone made for testing various TV related things http://sourceforge.net/projects/testsuite240p/files/Wii/240pSuite-Wii-1.7.zip/download It starts in 240p, so could you load into it multiple times to see if you get the same effect? You could try reverting to 480i/p when you load another game or core, remember that doing either is the same thing; loading a game reloads the core dol, that is why the Wii remote disconnects. It doesn’t connect back because of a different issue though.

I talked about it more thoroughly here http://gbatemp.net/threads/question-about-retroarch-wii.382742/ It will be a major problem if proper resolution saving ever gets added but 480i/p users will be happy to know it works fine all the time.

I stand corrected. I had actually skimmed that thread before and must have misread it which is why I thought otherwise. I wasn’t paying much attention to it since I can’t do 240p anyways. I still don’t know if I am getting 480p through it however since now there is no p or i in the resolution numbers. Since I’m running HDMI, all I can get from my TV OSD is 1080p. While running the older Retroarch I was only able to get 480i as the highest res option so I guess my real question is: Can the i/p be added back into the screen res option? This would be helpful in my case and hopefully I can get 480p through it with a newer nightly.

On a more important note, I loaded up RetroArch on my PC for the first time in about a year and decided I like the crt-royale shader. So now I wonder if they’ll get shaders working on the Wii because that would be amazing.

Interesting. I was unaware of this issue. I’ve only skimmed your post (low on time ATM) but cycling through 480p as a solution would be a bad thing for CRT users would it not? I know my set gets quite unhappy receiving 480p…

I have 2 possible ways to fix that problem. 1.) Have the resolution list cycle in order from lowest to highest res, effectively making 480p the final option. 2.) Make it so that you must confirm the res before it switches such as by pressing A or putting an apply button in it. This would be the best option in my opinion as I don’t think that quickly cycling diplayed resolutions is good for any TV.

[QUOTE=SuperrSonic;20322]What you describe is essentially what happens when you start a dol in 240p. Check out this tool someone made for testing various TV related things http://sourceforge.net/projects/testsuite240p/files/Wii/240pSuite-Wii-1.7.zip/download It starts in 240p, so could you load into it multiple times to see if you get the same effect? You could try reverting to 480i/p when you load another game or core, remember that doing either is the same thing; loading a game reloads the core dol, that is why the Wii remote disconnects. It doesn’t connect back because of a different issue though.

I talked about it more thoroughly here http://gbatemp.net/threads/question-about-retroarch-wii.382742/ It will be a major problem if proper resolution saving ever gets added but 480i/p users will be happy to know it works fine all the time.[/QUOTE]

Your “240p backfire” video is exactly what’s happening to me. I guess essentially what would need to be done is load the emulator in some “responsible” resolution, and then only change the resolution when a game is loaded. I actually prefer when resolution changes don’t affect the interface, because usually it’s better to use as high a resolution as possible.