Wii/NGC Nightly discussion thread

Another possible angle–is it possible to enable something like “ROM native resolution”? (or is that already implemented and I missed it?)

Much like how editing the .cfg files for…is it Kega Fusion?–allows the emulator to set the display resolution based on the game’s internal rendering resolution?

So with such an option, the menu can begin in 640x480i, and then when you launch the emulator/ROM it jumps to 512x240 for a game running at 256x240 (because retroarch doubles the H).

I wish all emulators had this feature! So nice that Kega, and MAME can be set to do it! PC Engine games have so many resolutions–tough to keep them all straight.

Hi, thanks that nightlies are finally being released!

I have an issue with the current version though wich I haven’t had with the latest stable one: Forwarder channels on the Wii like THIS ONE don’t work anymore. That’s really a pity since they made access to retroarch very convinient. Can you please fix that?

Furthermore I’d like to see the following features inclueded in future releases:

1. USB-controller support
  2. Resolution saving for cores
  3. Exit to the Wii menu also possible

Thanks, I appreciate your hard work!

For resolution-saving, the danger is that if you put in the wrong res, you can get locked out forever. Squarepusher had said he’s okay doing it but doesn’t want to hear people bitching about it if/when they inevitably get locked out.

For exiting to the Wii menu, I assume he means that it currently exits to the homebrew channel and he would like to have the option to exit to the Wii menu instead.

Thanks a lot for the replies!

Ok what about this possible solution: -Retroarch always boots in standard Wii menu resolution (480i/480p/576i) and aspect ratio (4:3/16:9). -Give the option to set individual core resolution and aspect ratio before you load it/a game. -As soon as a core is being loaded, Retroarch sets the new custom resolution/ratio. -If the screen isn’t able to handle the resolution, hold the power button to switch off your Wii. -Once you start Retroarch again it will boot in Wii menu resolution unless a core is loaded, so no lockouts.

[QUOTE=hunterk;20954] For exiting to the Wii menu, I assume he means that it currently exits to the homebrew channel and he would like to have the option to exit to the Wii menu instead.[/QUOTE] Exactly, many apps let you decide where you want to exit if you press HOME/Exit “appname”. It would be nice to have the choice between Homebrew Channel, System Menu and/or USB Loader.

2017-03-27 build:

• Correct way to install…? I clear out the sd:/retroarch folder of any cfg files and copy the extracted folder over sd:/apps. All I am getting is a blank screen after selection from HB menu. Have to manually poweroff Wii.

Previous builds:

• How to get Terra Cresta, Dangar, Wardner to work?
  • Black Tiger has black background on 3rd stage (stage 1 & two works great) - how to fix?

Appreciate hard work put in by devs on Wii version!

Please elaborate, I had just demonstrated in the previous page what happens if resolution saving worked, only 240p has a chance of failure and only because of the way it is implemented.

If the user is brave enough to write wrong values into the config then he should be capable enough to revert them. Also the input settings can already lock you out… forever, unless you delete the config of course. The screen width setting can also lock you out if you use wrong values in the config but RGUI only shows correct values, so there is no risk.

There is no logic to this solution, a core is always loaded that’s how it works on Wii. BTW RetroArch Wii doesn’t support widescreen correction. All the messed up video scenarios I’ve seen can always be fixed by using your memory to exit out of RGUI and then call priiloader to load the system menu to reset the video corruption and I’ve tested this many, many times I’ve never had to force shutdown.

An exit to system menu option is not that convenient, if you want to return to the system menu use a channel forwarder or set priiloader to always return to the system menu.

For the 3/25 build, attempting to load an FDS into FCEUmm or Nestopia results in a kick back to the loader. I tested this with two FDS roms, Super Mario Bros. 2 and Bubble Bobble.

For the 3/25 build, attempting to load an FDS rom into FCEUmm or Nestopia kicks you back to the loader. I tested with three FDS images–Bubble Bobble, Castlevania and Super Mario Bros. 2. I deleted config files and that did not help.

[QUOTE=SuperrSonic;20991] All the messed up video scenarios I’ve seen can always be fixed by using your memory to exit out of RGUI and then call priiloader to load the system menu to reset the video corruption and I’ve tested this many, many times I’ve never had to force shutdown.[/QUOTE] IF you remember how to exit out of the RGUI.

I use priiloader and it does not work the way you describe it. Since retroarch does not reset the system after exit and loads HBC dircetly instead, there is no way to bypass this with priiloader. Why not just add an option which let’s you decide? Even the simpliest apps support this feature and it’s especially useful if you use a forwarder channel.

Whoops, I thought it was capable of that because it works that way with other settings but I guess with “system menu” it just works as originally intended. I realize when it could be useful, I was just giving my opinion. If the developers want to add it or not is not my problem.

It is definitely not useful with forwarder channels, I use forwarders myself to load arguments with single games alike Virtual Console and it just takes me back to the system menu, not hbc.

[QUOTE=SuperrSonic;21033]Whoops, I thought it was capable of that because it works that way with other settings but I guess with “system menu” it just works as originally intended. I realize when it could be useful, I was just giving my opinion. If the developers want to add it or not is not my problem.

It is definitely not useful with forwarder channels, I use forwarders myself to load arguments with single games alike Virtual Console and it just takes me back to the system menu, not hbc.[/QUOTE]

So far I’ve found two forwarder channels for retroarch, the one I posted before and another one (which isn’t working with the latest nightlies either). Both take me back to the HBC, just as the RGUI does when I access it from HBC directly. I’m definitely willing to accept another forwarder channel if it solves the problem but I have the feeling exiting to HBC might be a limitation by Retroarch itself so far and therefore not circumventable with your proposed solution.

Build 2013-03-30:

• How to get Terra Cresta, Dangar, Wardner to work?
  • Black Tiger now has background with rapidly changing multi-coloured “blocks” on 3rd stage (stage 1 & two works great) - how to fix?

PS: Are these builds meant to fix game compatibility issues -or- are these above games not able run on retroarch for some technical reason?

They are arcade games so I guess he means FBA.

Yes, I meant FBA. Apologies for any confusion caused… So, how can I get the FBA core to run these games?

Btw, these updates are only for the user interface/options/etc, but the cores stay the same? If it is, where does one get cores to test?

Honestly I don’t really know for sure but I guess there’s a piece of code that tells the Wiimote to disconnect when reloading instead of just letting it be like other apps I know. But it might be something just related to that. Commenting out those lines I mentioned fixes it so I’ll make a pull request and see what the devs think.

cps2 Core Broken in the Nightly Wii Builds

When I try to load any cps2 game (I tried them all) with the cps2 core all I get is a black screen. The rom seems to load but there is no video or audio.

I’ve tried most of the nightly builds, including the earlies build that contained the cps2 core (2015-03-17) and the latest build (2015-04-02).

I know the problem isn’t with my rom set, because I’ve been able to load other FB Alpha, cps1, and Neo Geo games.

I’m hoping someone can help me out. I have all of the previous Wii builds, but I’m missing 0.9.8. Is there anywhere I can still download this?

I tried out some of the more recent builds, and can happily report that the resolution/colour corruption problems I was having before seemed to have been fixed. I loaded a bunch of different snes roms in different ways (detect core, history, etc.) and changed the resolution many times, and wasn’t able to get the video to permanently corrupt, even when setting a resolution that looked like 240p.

Though, now I’m noticing that the gui overlay background, that covers up the currently running game when you enter the menu, seems to become corrupted, and eventually disappears leaving the white gui text directly on top of the game screen. Not a serious problem, but makes it really hard to navigate the menu’s at times.

The video corruption is definitely still there. I’m more concerned with bilinear being active after loading a game even if the setting is off, the fact that the custom aspect ratio is not just ignored at startup(which was intentionally fixed about a month ago) but deleted every time you load up, this is probably why it no longer starts up anymore since it’s forced to default for some evil twisted reason.

I find no point in updating until this gets sorted, otherwise it just feels like a downgrade.

Hello,

using 2015-04-08, I would confirm those things :

I got same behaviour - [li]CORE resolution settings don’t seem to stick. You can save a configuration (512x240) but when you load a ROM it reverts to 640x480. If this is intended behaviour, it would be nice to be able to override it. [/li] not seen - [li]Options - Video Options - first option - the first word is garbled and characters alternate. It looks like “TüW[alternating character]om Ratio” [/li] not seen - [li]Choosing “Shader Options” while in game will lock you out of the menu, and you can’t re-enter it (it returns to game right after entering the menu). [/li] I got same behaviour and even the nunchuk is not working - [li]I can’t seem to select my connected Gamecube controller. As soon as I tick down to “Wii Controller” it locks, and the only thing I can do is pop the menu on and off–all other keys don’t work. [/li] not seen - [li]At some point RetroArch stopped loading my USB drive. Rebooting didn’t bring it back. Unplugging and replugging it in didn’t bring it back. Nuking the Retroarch folder on my SD card and forcing it to make new cfg files didn’t bring it back. The drive still loads up with older versions of Retroarch on the same Wii. Color me confused. [/li] Anyway this is great app - but as now most biggest trouble is whole input and more the auto-detection that is running worse than 1.0.0.2. If you set no to autoconfig - retroarch is stucked.

Ludovic